Sign in with
Your question

Who has the best customer support/performace?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 20, 2007 2:06:17 AM

I have a Gigabyte-DS3R P35, and my system reboots every 3 seconds. Their customer support is for the most part terrible. Basically it is going to take about a month to receive another motherboard that may be "refurbished" with ground shipping.

In contrast OCZ has the best customer support I have ever used, they sent me a more expensive model PSU with overnight shipping to me.

Back to the main point I am looking to buy another motherboard while I wait for my replacement. Any suggestions on which one to buy? Good customer support/RMA's is a must. Not looking to spend more than $150 for the m/b so x38 is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks
December 20, 2007 2:36:27 AM

MSI P35 Platinum is supposed to be a decent overclocker, has good features, and my experience with an MSI RMA was great. I emailed them, got a response back same day, same thing with when I asked about how long it would take, they told me the time frame, and it was accurate. As compared to my friends ASUS RMA which took him around two months to get his board back, mine took about 3 weeks including shipping both ways.
December 20, 2007 3:44:21 AM

I was considering the platinum..but 3 weeks imo is still very long considering you cant use the computer w/o the m/b. Is that average on all mb manufacturers? My PSU RMA took less than a week.
Related resources
December 20, 2007 4:12:06 AM

All mobo support is crap for the most part. I just make the decision that if it takes a crap I'm going to have to buy a new one.
December 20, 2007 4:16:41 AM

yea i have had rather poor run ins with mobo manufacturers but msi seemed to be ok and asus would be next in line depending on the year. Christmas time....yea good luck although that maybe the same for all of them but i can only speak for asus at the moment
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2007 5:17:10 AM

The companies that are the busiest(higher sales) seem to be the worst on support. The delay may not actually be support personnel, but shortage of replacement product. Of course, a good support department would tell you this.
December 20, 2007 5:22:34 AM

It seems they all run a skeleton support crew. Some may be a little better or worse, but they all seem to suck. Now PC Power and Cooling do an excellent job. Alas, they do PSUs not mobos.
December 20, 2007 5:59:30 AM

Zorg said:
All mobo support is crap for the most part. I just make the decision that if it takes a crap I'm going to have to buy a new one.

Couldn't agree more! Sometimes I get the feeling that they don't understand simple things and have to put me on hold just to ask someone else. Motherboard companies seem to have the worst customer service. Video card companies, and power supply companies seem to be the best when it come to customer service.
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 20, 2007 9:03:20 AM

I recommend msi or abit. Both rma's went smoothly. 3 weeks turnaround is good. I recommend a newegg open box board for a spare.
December 20, 2007 6:17:02 PM

Does anyone know if the msi platnium will fit a thermalright 120 extreme? The copper cooling looks kinda tall.
December 21, 2007 10:23:41 AM

All I can tell you is my experience with EVGA video cards...The people actually speak english, give a crap, and relly seem to want to help. Because of my experience with the support with my video card, I might buy an EVGA motherboard for my next upgrade.
December 21, 2007 2:47:31 PM

I can say from my experience, I like Biostar. Don't have too much experience with customer support from them, but I can say that most of the parts I get from them, I'm very happy with. Seems to have good quality. Also another one, although they are connected with ECS I think, is a company called PC Chips. They make lower end boards, but I have had some positive experiences with their stuff as well, and one system that dad and I built while I still lived at home 3-4 years ago with a PC Chips board is still working great with an old Athlon XP 3000+ just chugging along. Not bad for a board under 50 bucks.
December 21, 2007 2:50:56 PM

Oh yes, there is a company called Mach Speed, looks like they have nice stuff, lifetime warranties on all the boards, anyone used them? I'm just curious b/c I never have and kinda like to stick to brands I know.
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 21, 2007 5:45:53 PM

What you are seeing is a consolidation of board makers. Asus with gigabyte, ecs and pcchips and some abit boards; and the list goes on. Ecs has pretty good quality control, according to a distant review of THG. If you install the board correctly (with anti static strap, etc) and leave it alone, it may last longer.
December 21, 2007 7:54:55 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Oh yes, there is a company called Mach Speed, looks like they have nice stuff, lifetime warranties on all the boards, anyone used them?

I've never used them but it looks like their mobos are just rebranded boards from other manufacturers like Jetway.
December 21, 2007 9:13:54 PM

cory1234 said:
I was considering the platinum..but 3 weeks imo is still very long considering you cant use the computer w/o the m/b. Is that average on all mb manufacturers? My PSU RMA took less than a week.

It might seem long, but that was with two weekends(no shipping sundays) and having to wait 3 days both ways with UPS, so that takes away 8 of the days, also, most tech companies don't do business on Saturday, so that is another 2 days. In the end, MSI's time with the board was about 11 days, and they said it usually has a 10-14 day turn around time after they receive it. Sure, it's still slow, but you aren't really going to find anything much better from a mobo manufacturer. I also did not have the receipt for purchasing it and it was bought off a friend. They don't check any of that, just give them the serial and product numbers printed on the board.
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2007 10:22:31 PM

Zorg said:

Couldn't agree more.
December 21, 2007 10:57:47 PM

well i have myself =]
!