Sign in with
Your question

Question on a new build - deciding on a few parts

Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2007 12:27:05 AM

So my last mobo crapped out on me and I'm forced to rebuild. Its going to half-arsed since I can't afford to do it all.

But so far, here is what I've tentatively decided on:

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

cpu: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

I also will need the following but haven't decided on which ones to get: video card (moderately priced but good enough for most gaming), small sata HD (will use purely for OS and will use my current SATA for everything else), 2 gigs of RAM.

Curious as to anyone's experiences with the mobo and AMD I picked out. Good, bad, whatever. And any suggestions on the other needs would be great.
November 28, 2007 12:32:08 AM

I'd get Intel, Core 2 Duo or Quad.

Video Card: BFG Nvidia 8800GT

HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150Gb, 10K RPM, 16MB cache (really fast)
Related resources
November 28, 2007 12:48:26 AM
November 28, 2007 3:14:27 AM

chookman said:

1gb of ram could be upgraded and we also need to be mindful of PSU as i dont know what you have there.

No worries with the PSU. when my las mobo died I thought it could be the psu so I ordered a new one quickly. I got this one:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Thanks for the links. Definitely a lot to consider.
November 28, 2007 4:26:10 AM

Ya, thats a decent enough PSU.
November 28, 2007 3:26:54 PM

Very interesting. Seems like most here opt for Intel over AMD. Do most think Intel is a better buy? Better for gaming? Less hassle?

I was going to go with the mobo/cpu I posted at the top but now am reconsidering.
November 28, 2007 6:43:01 PM

Considering the Intel can be overclocked easily to 3ghz or more with the stock cooler and the above MB, to me that would make it the better buy. It would easily rival the performance of the AMD chip, and the above MB is upgradeable to the newer 45nm Penryn tech.

My current Intel machines are the first I've owned since my 286 in the early 90's. It was all AMD for years. However, I go with the best tech available at the time I need it, and right now that is Intel.
November 29, 2007 1:07:34 AM

Interesting. Man, I'm having a tough time deciding. Looks like I might edge towards the mobo and processor you listed tlmck.

Perhaps I'm just swayed by an old article on cnet from 2005 that pitted amd and intel against each other and amd won outright in every category....
November 29, 2007 1:15:23 AM

Are you gonna overclock? If so you might consider the amd 64x2 5000 black edition. It's a nice cheap overclockable cpu.
November 29, 2007 1:26:25 AM

I would like to overclock. My last one (athlon xp 3200) was easily overclocked in the bios. Is it hard to overclock the black edition?
November 29, 2007 1:58:46 AM

cutter said:
Interesting. Man, I'm having a tough time deciding. Looks like I might edge towards the mobo and processor you listed tlmck.

Perhaps I'm just swayed by an old article on cnet from 2005 that pitted amd and intel against each other and amd won outright in every category....

2005 was light years ago in computer time. Do a Google search of more recent, AMD vs. Intel articles.

Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for AMD, but right now they are just inferior IMO. Here is an interesting article on overclocking even lower end chips than the E2180. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-e2...

Tom's also has an various OC guides, not to mention the forums. Plus, the above MB manual is very clear and concise. Seriously, if I can OC, anybody can. Although I have been using PC's since 1980, I have not overclocked seriously until now. Just never really had an interest or need. Been running this one since April, and hasn't caught fire yet!

The next project is going to be to OC the Celeron 420 in my Linux box until it screams, or flames out. Hey, it was only $39 and the MB was free.
November 29, 2007 2:17:06 AM

tlmck said:

The next project is going to be to OC the Celeron 420 in my Linux box until it screams, or flames out. Hey, it was only $39 and the MB was free.

Ha. Always nice to have test subjects. Good luck! Have a fire extinguisher nearby.
November 29, 2007 2:31:11 AM

cutter said:
I would like to overclock. My last one (athlon xp 3200) was easily overclocked in the bios. Is it hard to overclock the black edition?

No, in fact its quite good at overclocking b/c it has an unlocked multiplier which means you dont have to deal with the fsb settings and change up ram timings or anything like that. Tom's has an article on it which explains why its good. It will easily overclock to 3.2+ghz.
!