Sign in with
Your question

680i good for Q6600 G0 stepping? I'm hearing NO!

Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2007 12:49:24 AM

Hey everyone, well I've went ahead and ordered a Q6600 and a EVGA 8800GT.

What's the BEST board for a Q6600?? I want the ability to go SLI in the future and since I got a G0 stepping Q6600, I want to be able to overclock this SOB, if ya know what I mean, but no over the top hardcore overclocking. I'm a PC Gamer, you get the point. It's all about those precious FPS. I'm hearing the 680i's aren't to good for quads at this point, moreso with the duals.

Last but not least, what cooling solution should I get? Is there a "friendly" water cooling system that's worth it? Or should I go old school with a thermaltake/coolermaster fan?

Oh, and Corsair or Crucial Ballistix? I'm leaning Ballistix, 2 gigs, unless yall think 3 gigs is the way to go.

Thanks All, Love and Peace

-Philly D
November 28, 2007 1:50:29 AM

I've never really heard that a Q6600 wasn't a good match for a 680i board. What exactly do you mean? Most of my research was done on my last system on a P35 board so I may have not run into it. Sounds odd though.

The only thing I've seen is a P35 board is better for overclocking. It runs cooler and is a more stable platform for overclocking. The 680i seems to run a bit hotter and needs better cooling especially when doing SLI.

Depends on what you want most I guess. If you're running a large monitor and want to run games with high resolutions then go 680i and SLI and settle for your best overclock. That would be your best recipe for maximum FPS on games that support SLI. If you just want to overclock, go P35.

I've never went for water cooling, but you may want to check out some reviews on kits. I've heard some of them only have mediocre cooling performance, so picking the right one is crucial. Probably like anything else. Doing the extra research and finding separate components that work best together would be the way to go.

Memory, there are a lot of good brands out there I would just check to see if there are any compatibility issues with whatever motherboard you pick first. I wouldn't do 3 gigs. Do either two or four. Most all motherboards run memory in duel channel, meaning you have to match two sticks in two slots. If you occupy a third stick you won't be running in duel channel and it will run slower.
November 28, 2007 1:55:07 AM

skip 680i. It has various heat, stability, and oc'ing issues. 780i is being released next month. the 680I series is really not that great of a choice for intel based boards...But it's actually pretty good for AMD based boards.

Although I've never owned a 680I board..I've heard this many many times, so it has to be true.
Related resources
November 28, 2007 2:09:03 AM

I agree with the aformentioned posts. The 680i is actually kind of old tech. Well not really old tech but just older model stuff. The 780i and later the 790i will be available within the next few weeks/months. You will see 780i boards on shelves in the next coming days.

If you want to go SLI in the future then you must stick with Nvidia chipsets. Dont get an X38 or P35 board just because it's better overclocking wise. You dont sound like you are going to overclock the crap out of it anyway. I would stick with the 780i if you are in a hurry and buy one in the next few days. It will support the next gen cpus too.

I wouldnt touch water cooling with a ten foot pole. Not worth the extra money imo. I would get something from thermalright or zalman.

November 28, 2007 2:20:51 AM

damn, the reason I brought this up was from the user reviews over at newegg. Many that bought board happened to mention that the Q6600 wasn't the best for overclocking. Problem is, I need a rig now, and I'm usually a very very patient person when it comes to my selection of components. I do usually get a bit weery of new chipsets, being the 780i for instance. What will be the benefits of using a 780i board over a 680i other than being newer? Are there more onboard essentials that I will regret as a gamer? If not, I'll go by what Flingpoo suggested, and take the dive into the 680i.
November 28, 2007 2:37:04 AM

i have a g0 stepping q6600.
I had a p35 board before... and i could get that baby up to 3.4 ghz.... 3.3ghz reasonably stable.. never really did prime for hours at a time.... but it didnt crash and gaming was fine.

However when the 8800gt came out i decided i wanted to try sli for the first time.

from what im reading the evga 680i a1 revision board is the best 680i overclocker out there..
Its hard to find... and if u do find 1 it will be over priced.

I bought an xfx 680i board and its ok.
Ive only been testing it while the 2 8800gt's were installed so heat is an issue (its hot)... the board is louder than the previous abit ip35 i had. However its not fair as its handling more chipset intensive scenarios as its running a really fast sli setup and an overclocked q6600.

However as an 8800 gt is more than enough to run anything now... except crysis at the higher resolutions (which nothing really is).... as the SLI is really not giving me much of a push in crysis... and it seems not to run as stable... id recommend just sticking with a p35... overclock that bitch as much as u can ... and get a nice 8800gt maybe get some good coolin on it... overclock it/ overclock the shaders too... and just wait for the 9000 series cards to be released.

Oh and 1 other thing.
I have crucial ballistix tracers.... 4 x 1 gigs.
as u know 32bit windows cant see 4 gigs.
However with my p35 it detected 3.3 gigs... and with the 680i its only detecting 2.5 gigs.
That factor is rather :non: 
November 28, 2007 3:11:20 AM

The 680i is still a strong board for what you have in mind, I have one, it is about 8 months old, running solid with an e6750 at 3.4.

It is hotter than the intel boards, but I removed the northbridge and southbridge coolers, cleaned the junk thermal stuff, and reseated with Artic Silver 5, much cooler temps.

I watercool both the cpu and the 8800 GTX, and stay around 30c at load on the cpu, and 50-53 on the gpu. Old gpu temps were above 80c on load with stock cooler. Quality is in the waterblocks and pump. Tubing and resevoir are all Lowes/Home Depot stuff, for the blocks/pumps go swiftech and dangerden, with Koolance doing well on the gpu blocks.

Bear in mind the old 975 boards performed better for longer than the newer 965 boards, and still do for overclocking.

Many review sites still use the 680i for their testbed, and will likely stay that way for a while. This board was designed for the B3/GO stepping freq's, (e6600/q6600) and will be a good choice for a good while longer.

This is the first board that has run my 800 speed ram stably at stock voltage as well. Corsair XMS, 4 gigs worth! (overkill on xp, I know!)

Lastly, sli is still a yes/no process, works on this game, not so much on this game. 680i is a great platform for it.........
November 28, 2007 5:28:55 PM

I have to say... If you are worried about massiver overclocking than get an intel based chipset... If not and you want SLI get the 680i/780i. However fudzilla said that the 780i doesnt have that much different features than the 680i.
November 28, 2007 5:43:20 PM

Oh, and never believe NewEgg Reviews :>

The 680i boards would be great matches for the G0 Q6600 and Overclocking.

The Reason is the Q6600 is the only G0 CPU that uses the 1066FSB.
This means you can get the chips to relatively high speeds w/o going crazy on FSB levels.

Taking the chip to 3.0ghz only means a 1333 FSB which is not an issue.
Slightly higher and you have a really nice OC.

What the others have said about the upcoming chipsets is true, but the 680i is a fine chipset and should not give you any issues.

November 28, 2007 5:48:49 PM

Overall, quad-core CPU overclocking with 680i is a little short compared to the Intel chipsets, and the chipset is having a tough time with Yorkfield at this point. If SLI gaming is your goal, then this is the board to buy for now.

!