What is the BEST Power Supply Manufacturer??

What is the BEST PSU Manufacturer??

• APEVIA/Aspire

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Coolermaster

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • Coolmax

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Powmax

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Raidmax

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Rosewill

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Silverstone

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Thermaltake

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • Zalman

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Anything else but these... (please list below)

Votes: 63 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
*edit* I noticed your title says "Power Supply Manufacturer" and in the thread you say
What is the best motherboard manufacturer based on reliability, performance, customer service, warranty/RMA etc.

No PC Power & Cooling? They are Tier1! :O I vote for them anyway. I'm very pleased with the Silencer 750 (although, I would like one with removable cabling, so I can get the unused stuff out of the way) Warranty isn't half bad either.

tlmck

Distinguished
It would have to be a tie between PCP&C and Seasonic on the PSU.

Based on the parameters, Gigabyte would win the MB battle. ASUS is good also, but no better at the higher price.

sailer

Splendid
Of the psus listed, Thermaltake by far. If going to others, I'd then go to PC Power and Cooling or a Seasonic, with the Thermaltake Toughpower series as a contender.

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
My OCZ 520 and Antec 550TruePower have worked like champs for years.
But my next one will for sure be a PCP&C. The Silencer 750 looks really nice.

sailer

Splendid
I do wonder about the person who voted for the Aspire/Apivea. That's a tier 5 psu. Further, I had the unfortunate experience of buying an Aspire 680wt psu years ago when I didn't know better. I had a number of troubles, such as crashing and video card slowing to a crawl until I replaced it. I'd never buy one again, and if someone gave me one, I'd likely take it to a rifle range for use as a target.

With the exception of Silverstone and Thermaltake (only their more expensive PSUs) they all SUCK.

1. PC Power & Cooling
2. Seasonic

I only buy PSUs made by those two manufacturers. Seasonic makes the Corsair HX series; I didn't list Corsair 'cause they don't actually manufacture their own PSUs.

Seasonic also makes some Antec PSUs, but Antec likes to cut corners here and their so I don't bother with them at all.

Seasonic also makes the Silencer series for PC Power & Cooling.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
PCP&C, SeaSonic and high-end Silverstone are among the best. Even the lowest end of these three are Tier 3 and above, so all very good quality.

I believe the VX-450W Corsair is SeaSonic make, but the VX-550 is CWT which produces industrial PC power supplies for the most part, and that is a good thing, as those are meant for full 24/7 use at decent loads. I do not know about the Corsair TX series, but my guess for the 650W is SeaSonic, because it seems to just be a unified rail version of a normal SeaSonic(SeaSonic has 52Amps over 4 rails, Corsair has 52 on one rail, and the same measures for all other rails). I'm not sure about the 750W, but it is most likely SeaSonic or CWT again.

OCZ should be avoided. At high loads, they had voltage ripple issues that weren't present on other power supplies tested in the same price range at the same amount of load.

PC Power & Cooling, FSP, Seasonic are the best ones I am aware of. My OCZ Gamestream 700 is a very good one also. However from what I understand it is manufactured by FSP. By the way..OCZ this year purchased PC Power & Cooling but they are still doing business under their own separate names. That may change in 2008.

Traditionally Cooler Master has not been the best far as PSUs however there new RS line of power supplies look very impressive.
- 6 Rails (an industry first)
- 80 Plus Certified
- superb heat dissipation at (17 dBA) of fan noise.
- An amazing 5 year warranty!

I think with this new RS line Cooler Master is making a serious attempt to be a major player in the PSU market. But don't waste your money on the old Cooler Master RP line. It is not even half as good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171023

The thing I love about my OCZ Game Stream 700 is the blue LED fan in it. It looks very good if you have a PC case with a side window.

APEVIA has power supplies that give a similar effect but they are crap power supplies. Read all of the reviews on new egg from users that had them burn out.

OCZ should be avoided. At high loads, they had voltage ripple issues that weren't present on other power supplies tested in the same price range at the same amount of load.
Do you have a link to that about the OCZ Power Supplies? I never heard of such. Perhaps with some of the lower voltage ones but the Game Stream Series are some of the best PSUs on the market. My OCZ Game Stream 700 watt PSU currently has over 523 reviews on new egg with an average 5 egg rating out of 5. 4 rails, 80 Plus certified. I have never even heard rumors of any aspect of that PSU being anything less than supurb.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, the way you talk you'd think that more rails is better! The more rails you have, the lower your per-rail limit, and the more likely you are to overload a rail.

The BEST power supplies have ONE +12V rail

I have recently been introduced to that philosophy. The only place I have seen that one rail is better than more is on PC Power & Cooling's website. At one time the industry as a whole believed more was better. Now I am seeing some news that one may be the best. Until I do more research I don't know what to believe.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
oh god i have aspire/aprevia

HORRIBLE

it works but is so unstable....im lucky to get a 400 mhz OC on this bastard...anything over cpu frequency 252 automatically BSOD's

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've been around a while. The first time I saw a rail limit was when the guys at The Inquirer were having trouble getting a Crossfire settup working a few years back. They were using a 2-rail power supply with both PCI-E connectors on the same rail.

The idea of multiple rails has nothing to do with stability, it's to reduce the maximum current that can pass through a multi-wire connector. IE, it's a safety thing, not a stability thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS