CPU Temp question...

I built my grandparents a PC for them not anything high end. It has a Asus P5B-VM mobo that has a specific BIOS for it. It is up to date with the latest BIOS. I put a C2D E6300 in it as it was enough for what they do and should run nice and cool and quiet minus the initial startup.

When I first built it it was fine but now the CPU temps have jumped to 50c at idle(in BIOS) and run at about 60-62c when in Windows after doing updates and then idleing. I took off the stock heatsink, cleaned the CPU and heatsink and applied some Artic Silve 5 around the CPU, put the HSF back on and screwed them in tightly(the HSF that came with it uses screws to tie down with). It improved compared to before when it was at 72-72c but still its too hot and the fan will run too loud for my Grandfather who mainly uses it.

My only conclusion that the CPU is bad. I would return it but the PC is too old so I am thinking ofjust getting a new one but if it is the mobo reporting wrong(and I doubt that) which one should I get as this mobo wont support the C2D 6x50 series.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Why not try a better aftermarket cooler first, it will be quieter and will cool more, if it works you'll save some bucks, if it doesn't you can use it whit the new CPU and will improve temps and noise level too, it's a win-win situation.

If you really need a new chip go for a e6300/6400 with the new manuf. process, I've heard the use less power and run cooler than the old B2 e6300/6400

That is true but I just found out that the BIOS will only support up to the B2 stepping.

I would try an aftermarket cooler but problem is its a slim case maybe 5-6 inches wide. But I don't think that the e6300 would ever run that hot. I am thinking of getting a new mobo and a new CPU just so I can get a L2 stepping.

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Since you do not overslock the cpu, you may try to decease the cpu core volt,the stand is 1.35v but my E6320 will run at 1.2v. and put few fans will help too.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Man... that's odd. I've never seen a stock Intel HS with screws. It was always those darn push pins.

Surprise your Grand Parents and get the Tuniq HS, $45 buck last I saw on NewEgg.

I kinda wonder what they would think of it. :lol:

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
You did not memntion what kind of case your useing? Hows the air flow? and have you checked your processors temps with Core Temp or TAT ? Also how much thermal compound did you use? do much or to little would also cause it to heat up.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
i have trouble believing that a bad cpu is causing temps to go up. A bad cpu is gonna cause all sorts of other performance problems first. It's more likely that your heatspreader to heatsink mating surface has warped and is not making good contact. To test this clean off both surfaces and use just a tiny dab of grease and install the HSF and then remove it and check the spread pattern for the grease.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Ummm has anyone asked what its running at now? sure he said 50c and ~60 and ~70 before reseating... but what is it now? maybe its not as bad as you think it is especially if its in a SFF case.

The case I am using was a barebone from Asus. Its the Pundit P3. Its simple and the airflow is fine. It very slim and has a nice hole the size of the HSF fan over the HSF.

I still think its a bad CPU but problem as I said is that the newer steppings have come out and I am sure are more dominant and this mobos BIOS wont run antyhing higher than a B2.

Even if the BIOS is reporting the wrong temps(I felt the heatsink when it was supposed to be 60c and it didn't feel that hot) its the fan running that fast is annoying sounding to my grandparents.

I put a small dab of AS5 and spread it over the CPU with a small clean brush and it was very thin. It was running at 70c with the basic thermal paste.

I have done this before with my 2 PCs and have had lower than normal temps. I have a 3.4EE P4(Northwood) with a Zalman CPNS 9700 and it runs at 32c idle and 40 load if loaded for a long time. Same with my current Q6600

I am going to try Speedfan but still there is no way to lower the fan unless its not running extremely hot. I might just get a G33 chipset mobo and a E6320 G0 stepping. My grandparents don't have anything really important on it and they use it for like solitair and the internet. Maybe I will just get a low end e4400 series.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Is it just me or did you still not state what its running at now?

Your motherboard looks like it supports the newer revision with the 0405 bios version
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5B-VM

EDIT: Just doesnt support 1333FSB CPU's

Sorry about that. It started around 50c and would flux between 51-53c when idle in BIOS. After updating Windows and running just IE it rampped up to 60c(I restarted and checked BIOS) which yes was better than 70c but still too high for my liking.

Yes it uses a P5B-VM but its not the same mobo. It is one sepcifically made for the Pundint case and has its own version of BIOS that does not even support a Q6600. here is the link http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?model=P3-PH5&SLanguage=en-us

So either way I think I'm going to upgrade to a G33/G31 mobo and a G0 stepping dual core such as the E6750 or E6550.