DUAL SLOT ATI OR NVIDIA CARDS MAY NOT FIT !

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
We have had many come to us to install dual ATI 3800 series cards in their sysytems and they won't fit ! Make sure both slots will accept dual slot cards ! Some motherboards have the top slot too darn close to motherboard components . You MUST be able to see a blank slot opening ABOVE both video card slots . Most of the problems have been with Dell and Gateway systems . They made them for single slot card setups and did'nt allow for dual slot card setups . *** :sarcastic: *** Most likely the new nvidia dual cores will be double slot also and will not fit . Just trying to save many from wasting money and sending flaming emails to the companies with no help from them . Not to say they don't deserve getting chewed out . They all advertise dual setup capabilities but are far behind what is coming on the market . *** :cry: ***

To trooper194 7
Good point well made im just in the middle of researching a new build and hadent given that a second thought so thats one person you have helped even if this gets burried down at the bottom of the forum,which it will in time i suppose.
It got me wondering if they mention this in the sticky in the MOBO section?
Mactronix

Only true for micro BTX style boxes, not sure about Gateway but Dell has gone back to ATX style, so the newer systems ( I 530/531 ) won't have an issue.

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Yep .... another important question all buyers even home brew motherboard buyers should ask right up front . All the people came here with 2 non returnable cards and had only one useable slot . Of course we had no problem selling them for them right away but they were p*ssed . The only problem is all the folks stuck with those motherboards should be able to make the company exchange them and they won't even after ... false advertising .... really .

What false advertising ? None of these companies advertise thier BTX mini towers as being dual slot videocard capable.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You should have the letters "BTX" in the title: Most of us already knew about the double-slot problem with BTX. Heck, your whole first post doesn't even say "BTX", and anyone with an ATX case should NOT look for an open slot above the graphics card slot.

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Truthfully alot of buyers don't know what BTX or ATX differences make . You forget they walk into a department store or get online and a salesman .... usuually a teenager tells them what is best . Believe me 95 % of them NEVER home built a system and think of this .... if they have to come to us to install the card and setup drivers for a video card ... you tell them any specific data and they get that blank look on their faces . We're just used to have been doing and knowing it for years .... we forget the general public is totally unknowledgable to hardware . Maybe I should have added that but it's easier for someone not knowing the difference to peek at the slots . They're on here .... they just don't know . Glad you added that .... they can ask that now but more importantly ask if the MB supports dual - dual slot boards . The case does'nt guarantee that option . you'd be surprised what some of these independent shops sell ... they have a monoploly in towns and screw the devil out of customers . One customer came to us a month ago and his system was full of used components ... the hard drive had old files left on it and the video card was dirty ! I even told him I'd go with him to confront the owner but he declined and said " I just won't buy there anymore " . That lets that creep ripping people go on and on .... I pity some of these people .