REQ: HD Recording of 2003, 2004 or 2005 Master Golf Tourna..

I am wondering if anyone in this newsgroup would have an archived HD
copy of either or all of the 2003, 2004 and 2005 Masters Golf
Tournament Championships broadcast by CBS in HD.
10 answers Last reply
More about recording 2003 2004 2005 master golf tourna

    "f13dfx" <f13dfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am wondering if anyone in this newsgroup would have an archived HD
    > copy of either or all of the 2003, 2004 and 2005 Masters Golf
    > Tournament Championships broadcast by CBS in HD.

    I was under the impression that you could not record an HD signal 1080i on a
    VHS recorder which is something like 420i. I tried to make one recording
    and there wasn't any signal to the VHS that it could recognize. Maybe
    someone else could reply to this.

    BC

    In article <Rpkke.466$2u1.316@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
    "BC" <bcphoto@core.com> writes:

    > "f13dfx" <f13dfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I am wondering if anyone in this newsgroup would have an archived HD
    >> copy of either or all of the 2003, 2004 and 2005 Masters Golf
    >> Tournament Championships broadcast by CBS in HD.
    >>

    > I was under the impression that you could not record an HD signal 1080i on a
    > VHS recorder which is something like 420i. I tried to make one recording
    > and there wasn't any signal to the VHS that it could recognize. Maybe
    > someone else could reply to this.

    A DVHS recorder can do a perfect record/playback of an OTA ATSC broadcast.

    John

    "John S. Dyson" <toor@iquest.net> wrote in message
    > In article <Rpkke.466$2u1.316@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
    > "BC" <bcphoto@core.com> writes:
    >>
    >> "f13dfx" <f13dfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am wondering if anyone in this newsgroup would have an archived HD
    >>> copy of either or all of the 2003, 2004 and 2005 Masters Golf
    >>> Tournament Championships broadcast by CBS in HD.
    >>>

    >> I was under the impression that you could not record an HD signal 1080i
    >> on a
    >> VHS recorder which is something like 420i. I tried to make one recording
    >> and there wasn't any signal to the VHS that it could recognize. Maybe
    >> someone else could reply to this.
    >>
    > A DVHS recorder can do a perfect record/playback of an OTA ATSC broadcast.
    >
    > John

    Does the DVHS use DVI or HDMI cabling? If yes, does the built in HDCP
    affect the quality? If no, the other cables won't pass a digital signal as
    far as I know. So if the first case is true and it uses DVI let's say then
    you could upscale a DVD to 1080i and record to DVHS which I don't think the
    cables will allow. The other way component or RBG etc won't carry true HD
    at 720p or 1080i. Of course there are large profession recorders that will
    do this for what $8k or so? But I think we are talking consumer.

    BC

    BC wrote:
    > "John S. Dyson" <toor@iquest.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <Rpkke.466$2u1.316@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
    >>"BC" <bcphoto@core.com> writes:
    >>
    >>>"f13dfx" <f13dfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>>I was under the impression that you could not record an HD signal 1080i
    >>>on a
    >>>VHS recorder which is something like 420i. I tried to make one recording
    >>>and there wasn't any signal to the VHS that it could recognize. Maybe
    >>>someone else could reply to this.
    >>>

    >>A DVHS recorder can do a perfect record/playback of an OTA ATSC broadcast.
    >>
    >>John
    >

    > Does the DVHS use DVI or HDMI cabling? If yes, does the built in HDCP
    > affect the quality? If no, the other cables won't pass a digital signal as
    > far as I know. So if the first case is true and it uses DVI let's say then
    > you could upscale a DVD to 1080i and record to DVHS which I don't think the
    > cables will allow. The other way component or RBG etc won't carry true HD
    > at 720p or 1080i. Of course there are large profession recorders that will
    > do this for what $8k or so? But I think we are talking consumer.
    >
    > BC

    You are correct that a component connection won't carry a digital
    signal. However, a component cable connection will absolutely carry a
    true HD signal at 720P and/or 1080i. The various DVHS recorders have
    different means of recording HD. Some can utilize component, DVI, HDMI
    or 1394 connections.

    Brad Cobb (brcobb@excites.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > The various DVHS recorders have
    > different means of recording HD. Some can utilize component, DVI, HDMI
    > or 1394 connections.

    No, they can't. All D-VHS recorders use IEEE-1394 (FireWire) for input of
    HD digital video. There are W-VHS recorders that use component video as
    input, and record the analog component signals on the tape as analog signals.

    D-VHS (and W-VHS) can have DVI, HDMI, or component for outputs, though.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    In article <1kuke.686$2u1.654@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
    "BC" <bcphoto@core.com> writes:

    > "John S. Dyson" <toor@iquest.net> wrote in message
    >> In article <Rpkke.466$2u1.316@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
    >> "BC" <bcphoto@core.com> writes:
    >>>
    >>> "f13dfx" <f13dfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> I was under the impression that you could not record an HD signal 1080i
    >>> on a
    >>> VHS recorder which is something like 420i. I tried to make one recording
    >>> and there wasn't any signal to the VHS that it could recognize. Maybe
    >>> someone else could reply to this.
    >>>
    >> A DVHS recorder can do a perfect record/playback of an OTA ATSC broadcast.
    >>
    >> John
    >
    > Does the DVHS use DVI or HDMI cabling? If yes, does the built in HDCP
    > affect the quality? If no, the other cables won't pass a digital signal as
    > far as I know. So if the first case is true and it uses DVI let's say then
    > you could upscale a DVD to 1080i and record to DVHS which I don't think the
    > cables will allow. The other way component or RBG etc won't carry true HD
    > at 720p or 1080i. Of course there are large profession recorders that will
    > do this for what $8k or so? But I think we are talking consumer.
    >
    > BC

    DVHS basically records the digital data that represents the encoded ATSC
    signal (or a portion thereof.) Most of the DVHS interfaces for HDTV input
    are firewire. For output it can be digital or analog (e.g. component.)

    There is little value in decoding/re-encoding the digital data to
    be recorded, and the DVHS record/playback is essentially perfect (relative
    to the original ATSC signal.)

    John

    "Brad Cobb" <brcobb@excites.com> wrote in message
    > BC wrote:
    >> "John S. Dyson" <toor@iquest.net> wrote in message

    >>>A DVHS recorder can do a perfect record/playback of an OTA ATSC
    >>>broadcast.
    >>>
    >>>John
    >>

    >> Does the DVHS use DVI or HDMI cabling? If yes, does the built in HDCP
    >> affect the quality? If no, the other cables won't pass a digital signal
    >> as far as I know. So if the first case is true and it uses DVI let's say
    >> then you could upscale a DVD to 1080i and record to DVHS which I don't
    >> think the cables will allow. The other way component or RBG etc won't
    >> carry true HD at 720p or 1080i. Of course there are large profession
    >> recorders that will do this for what $8k or so? But I think we are
    >> talking consumer.
    >>
    >> BC
    >>

    > You are correct that a component connection won't carry a digital signal.
    > However, a component cable connection will absolutely carry a true HD
    > signal at 720P and/or 1080i. The various DVHS recorders have different
    > means of recording HD. Some can utilize component, DVI, HDMI or 1394
    > connections.

    This is all a bit confusing to me but I thought that a progressive signal
    was digital only. Progressive refreshing is the whole screen at once isn't
    it? Correct me please if I'm off base. Standard tvs (analog) or scanning
    tvs can't do progessive I thought only LCD and DLP can refresh the whole
    screen. It seems too that no matter what the signal says it is, 1080i let's
    say and my tv is only 768 lines of resolution it will only show 720p at its
    best. It does the scaling inside the set. So are you sure that 720p or
    1080i is actually going through the component cable or is it being converted
    to 480i?

    BC

    BC (bcphoto@core.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > This is all a bit confusing to me but I thought that a progressive signal
    > was digital only.

    Analog has been carrying progressive scan signals for a long time...since
    VGA started.

    > Progressive refreshing is the whole screen at once isn't
    > it?

    No, it is scanning lines in order (for 480p): 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 480

    Interlaced scan (480i) is like this: 1, 3, 5, ..., 479, 2, 4, 6, ..., 480

    --
    Jeff Rife | Coach: What's the story, Norm?

    > BC (bcphoto@core.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >> This is all a bit confusing to me but I thought that a progressive signal
    >> was digital only.
    >
    > Analog has been carrying progressive scan signals for a long time...since
    > VGA started.
    >
    >> Progressive refreshing is the whole screen at once
    >> isn't
    >> it?
    >
    > No, it is scanning lines in order (for 480p): 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 480
    >
    > Interlaced scan (480i) is like this: 1, 3, 5, ..., 479, 2, 4, 6, ..., 480
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife | Coach: What's the story, Norm?
    > |
    > | Norm: Thirsty guy walks into a bar. You
    > | finish it.

    I guess I was confusing that with LCD and DLP of having the capability of
    doing a whole screen refresh rather than using scan lines. The digital
    sensors in HD cameras should have that capability and if the refresh rates
    were high enough the picture would be very sharp and steady it would seem.

    thanks,

    BC

    BC (bcphoto@core.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > I guess I was confusing that with LCD and DLP of having the capability of
    > doing a whole screen refresh rather than using scan lines.

    Despite the capability of refreshing the entire display at once, LCDs and
    DLPs both actually scan the display progressively, as I said. This is
    because that is how the data comes in.

    > The digital
    > sensors in HD cameras should have that capability and if the refresh rates
    > were high enough the picture would be very sharp and steady it would seem.

    The refresh rate would have to be *very* high to make it look smooth if they
    held the data until a full frame were available and then did a refresh.
    This would actually result in a jerkier motion than progressive scan, at
    least to the human eye.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "You may find this strange, but I think body
    | piercing is a good thing. It gives us a
    | quick way to tell that people ain't right,
    | just by lookin' at 'em."
    | -- Hank Hill, "King of the Hill"

HDTV Newsgroup HD Home Theatre