installing xp pro on new hard drive

I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.

I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
do the trick.

my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...

Please help...

Youve set the cdrom as 1st priority device in BIOS,then saved and exited the
BIOS,then "press any key to Boot to CD" when the message gets displayed.
Try setting the cdrom to another connection on the IDE chain,then set as
master,
actually the hd and the cdrom should be the only two devices connected at
this
time.

"Ran278" wrote:

> I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>
> I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
> do the trick.
>
> my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
>
> Please help...

i'll give it a try and let you know thxs.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Youve set the cdrom as 1st priority device in BIOS,then saved and exited the
> BIOS,then "press any key to Boot to CD" when the message gets displayed.
> Try setting the cdrom to another connection on the IDE chain,then set as
> master,
> actually the hd and the cdrom should be the only two devices connected at
> this
> time.
>
> "Ran278" wrote:
>
> > I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> > I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> > starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
> >
> > I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
> > do the trick.
> >
> > my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
> >
> > Please help...

The first part of the install needs to boot from the Windows XP CD. When the
installer tells you it is going to reboot in 15 seconds, remove the CD from
the tray.

The subsequent parts of the install need to boot from the hard drive. Most
computer will do this automatically, unless you have gone into the computers
bios and set the first boot device to be the CD. If you have done this, you
will have to change it back to boot from the hard drive "after" the first
part of the install has completed.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Ran278" <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>
> I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
> do the trick.
>
> my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
>
> Please help...

Richard when i do a new install i never take the CD out of the drive.
my procedure is Insert cd into cd-rom and reboot (assuming cd-rom is first
boot option). Message appears 'click any key to boot from cd' i then click
any key. Setup starts, loads files to memeory etc and then message appears
about pc having to reboot. I allow pc to reboot. Next message is 'press any
key to boot from cd' Don't touch anything leave well alone. five or six dots
appear after the 'press any key to boot to cd' and then the windows GUI part
of the installation begins.
For more details on installing xp along with illustrations visit my website
http://www.xphelpandsupport.mvps.org click the win XP Faq button and take a
look at question 85

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The first part of the install needs to boot from the Windows XP CD. When
> the installer tells you it is going to reboot in 15 seconds, remove the CD
> from the tray.
>
> The subsequent parts of the install need to boot from the hard drive. Most
> computer will do this automatically, unless you have gone into the
> computers bios and set the first boot device to be the CD. If you have
> done this, you will have to change it back to boot from the hard drive
> "after" the first part of the install has completed.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Ran278" <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
>> I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
>> starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>>
>> I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does
>> not
>> do the trick.
>>
>> my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
>>
>> Please help...

Yes John, but not all M/B's have that "Press Any Key To Boot From CD"
function. I have worked on many older systems where you have to physically
change the boot order after the first phase of the install.

I figured that if a person saw that prompt they would know what to do. Maybe
I am assuming too much (-:

--

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:19:51 +0100, John Barnett MVP wrote:

> Richard when i do a new install i never take the CD out of the drive.

I never take out the CD either. I've seen that portion of startup work out
both ways and have owned "one of each." One the one system, I would sneak
into the BIOS settings on that reset and change the hard drive back to
first boot drive.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

That "press any key" message is on the CD, not the mobo. If you try a
different bootable CD, you may get a different message for booting, or it
may simply boot if there are no options on the CD.

Then there are some systems that, when you have a bootable cd in the drive,
pop up their own menu about where to boot from. But if you choose the XP cd,
you still see the "press any key" message and if you don't it boots from
whatever other drive is next.

What I find happens most often is that people read the "press any key"
message and take it as a command, and they dutifully press a key.