New built system ...now loops at start-up

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hi, this system was finished yesterday and worked fine. Today I changed the boot sequence in the BIOS from Floppy (which is not installed) to HDD and I also disabled the Mobo Logo at start-up.
After that things started going bad. Have changed the bios settings back to default but it didn't help.
Windows starts up and the little dots are sometimes hesitating as they move across when Windows starts.
Then I get to the point with the message telling me that Windows couldn't start and gives me the option to "Start in normal, safe mode, etc. I have tried all options but nothing helps.
At startup I get 1 beep and only for a split second I see the BSOD! with some writing but it goes so fast it's impossible to see.
At this point I can't get to the BIOS in order to change boot sequence to DVD in order to load from Windows and try to do a repair.
Here are the spec's:
CPU:Intel core2 Quad Q6600 2.4MHz
Mobo: Asus P5K3 /Deluxe WiFi-AP, LGA775
Video: XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500 GB
Ram: Corsair 2 GB DDR3
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W

Does anybody have any problem with this ASUS Mobo and the CPU Q6600?
I appreciate any ideas!!!! Thanks

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
If the system is blowing up before you can even reach the BIOS screen, short (close) the CMOS clear jumper on the motherboard. Revert any other physical changes made, if any. (You might also have a spiffy clear cmos button on your case.)
Edit: Only short the CMOS clear jumper for a few seconds. It is wise to have the PSU physically powered off.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you both for writing.
How do you run Memtest? I will clear the jumper on the motherboard today and hope that it helps.....

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
It sounds like some BIOS settings got screwed up to me. I'd go with ghmage's suggestion and reset the CMOS. If that doesn't work, check your RAM and make sure it is properly seated (in fact, do this while you're inside the PC resetting the CMOS)

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you both for writing.
I have taken out the C-Mos Battery to check the voltage, reset the jumper and re-inserted the Ram.
After getting a couple of messages like: "C-Mos checksum bad" Press F2 to load default values and continue....or Press F1 to run set-up."
I have tried both. Then it goes on to "check nvram"
Another message was: "Unknown CPU is detected.(All of the CPU info. shows up in the BIOS correctly). Updating BIOS is required to unleash it's full power" Press F1 to resume"
Now it finally boots into Windows without the OS Disk, but I only get to the point where I have to re-activate Windows and it won't let me go any further. Doesn't it usually give 2 weeks for that?
I'm using this OEM OS Disk which I bought when we built our last computer, close to 4years ago. Could that be any problem?
Again, thank you for your advice.

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
You can call Microsoft up for help to re-activate your system. When you go to activate, the system gives you the number to call. I've had to do it a few times due to reloading XP too many times. But I learned that if you register with Microsoft, you never seem to have problems reactivating again, if you just re-register your info at every install. You could try registering during the activation process instead of calling them up first. It works for me, at any rate.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Can you re-activate with an OEM disk though? I thought it was 1 OS for 1 set of hardware. I could be wrong, but I'm kinda wondering this my self.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you for writing. I called Microsoft and re-activated. So far, there was no problem doing it.
In the meantime, the system boots up...sometimes. I still keep getting different issues. Once the system is booted, it works well.
Have taken out 1 memory stick at a time and re-inserted both while switching slots.
Asus Tech suspected the memory sticks but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Will call Asus today to get a RMA.
Since making so many changes after re-activating Windows it tells me that I will have to re-activate within 3 days.
So, I guess we have a bad mother board.