Installed Q6600 w/ Lapped Ultra 120 Results

syrus_086

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
It appeared to me, that it is running a little bit hot. What is the general opinion? Stats below, no modding to the processor yet.

Q6600 GO 2.4ghz, Ultra 120 Extreme w/ 120mm Scythe, GA EX38 DS4, 3x1GB Corsair XMS2 6400, EVGA 8800GT, 3x250GB Sata, Ultra Case

CPUZPICDEFAULT.jpg

CPUIDDEFAULT.jpg

CORETEMPDEFAULT.jpg

- SYRUS

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
that temp is fine.its not hot at all.but what fan did you stick on the TRUE what the model of your Scythe fan?

try load all 4 core and record the temp then the effectiveness of the heatsink will show if its cooling properly or not.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Looks good to me, your ambient temps may impact the core temp. Also, you have a low Upper VID chip, that means your heat will be a little warm off the top. (Or can be.)

Since you lapped the TRUE, now all you need to do it give it a few small twists while its mounted on the chip. (Or at least my TRUE when fully attached can move a bit.) Then next time you pull the heat sink off you can look for corner scratches on the heatsink.

Usually the q6x00 series has raised corners. I even read the intel thermal solutions guide for manufactures. Intel relies on the weight of the heat sink and the force of the 775 socket to "warp" the chip into some semblance of flatness!

So when ya pull it off, since it was lapped, you'll easily be able to tell if the shape of the chip is raised on a corner or more. (usually 2 corners, one side, is raised.) And it takes a while of lapping to correct this flaw in the IHS design.

Oh, plan on OCing the thing?

--Lupi

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
sorry i just like that.you know that already right?its the harshness that people will remember what they have been told!or the other way could be pain to make something sick to someone's memory.but i cant hit someone in the face when i sit in front of my computer can i?lol

sorry i just want to help.

syrus_086

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
lol @ iluvgillgill

Yeah this is a first time thing for me. Just making sure everything is looking good 2 go for a initial overclock. I do plan on doing some serious overclocking eventually. Just getting basics down for now. But i do appreciate the input. I am using the 120mm S-Flex Scythe Fan.

@ Lupiron thanks for the input as well. Ill make sure to try that

After loading the 4 cores here is what i got.

cpuidtest2.jpg

coretemptest2.jpg

cpuztest2.jpg

prime95test2.jpg

Thanks again guys,

-Syrus

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Wow, that makes no sense! You must have closed and re opened HWMonitor after you started testing. And as far as I can tell, looks good!

3.4 will be easy on yer chip, 3.6 will be a bit harder. Good luck and have fun! Flame on!

--Lupi