Wierd problem OC'ing an E8200 on an ASUS P5N-D

pittjulian

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Hi guys!

I just recently purchased a new desktop. I decided to try a little OC'ing just to see what my system is capable of. The problem is that I'm using the AI Overclocking utility in the BIOS. This allows me to set a 20% overclock which I think raises the CPU frequency to 400MHz. In turn that raises the overall frequency to 3.2GHz This gives me a running temp of 40°C after running 3DMark06. The trouble starts after a few minutes when the whole system completely freezes. It becomes totally non-responsive and I have to reset to get to the BIOS to reset the OC profile. I'm not sure if I'm going through the process correctly and I'm not sure why this problem keeps happening. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz
Zalman CNPS9700NT CPU Cooler
ASUS P5N-D nVidia nForce 750i SLi
XFX GeForce 8800GTS XXX Alpha Dog Edition 512Mb
4Gb Corsair XMS2 DHX (2x 2Gb DIMMS)
2x 250Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i really wanna see how the "new" 750i chipset will overclock.

have you increase all the voltage accordingly?especially the VVT/PLL and NB voltage.remember to keep the ram ratio to 1:1 or the lowest one possible.

pittjulian

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Hi again. Thanks for the reply!

I'm still very new to OC'ing and I made note of the settings available in the BIOS and made a few changes just to kick off.

My FSB Frequency (Unlinked): 1600MHz
DDR Frequency: 800MHz
VCore: 1.3V
DRAM: Auto
HT Voltage: 1.3V
NB Chipset Voltage: 1.3V
SB Chipset Voltage: 1.6V

I purposefully set the FSB and RAM to be unlinked because i felt that might be the problem initially. I'm not sure if the RAM is supposed to clock to 950MHz. But those are my changes. So far it's running ok and the Crysis benchmarking tool is working fine. I'm not sure how long before it freezes again though. It is definitely running for longer without freezing now.

Please let me know what you guys think!