Unrecognized External Drive

thedude101

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I recently bought an external hard drive case for a laptop hard drive so that I could use it as a backup for my files. Upon putting the hard drive in the case and plugging the case into the computer, the hard drive was recognized and I then started to format the drive before going to sleep. The next morning I wake up to find that the computer froze in the middle of formatting the drive and now the drive is no longer recognized by my computer or any other computer for that matter. Is there anything I can do to resolve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Well under windows you can only format a recognized partition so your partition table is probably screwed up. Since Windows no longer seems to come with FDISK you need to download a utility to repair the partition table in your external hard drive. Download testdisk here

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Main_Page

and follow the instructions. Make sure you're editing the partition table of the external hard drive and not the hard drive you're booting off of.

Next time you're doing something like formatting a disk on your laptop go to your power management settings and disable the sleep function!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!