Sign in with
Your question

how often should i replace my hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
September 7, 2008 11:11:46 PM

i'm upgrading my cpu, mobo and ram.

i was thinking of replacing my system drive too. my HDD is over 3 years old. the main reasons for replacing the drive would be 1. more space. 2. to avoid a drive failure.

i'm thinking, all hard drives fail eventually, but how frequently should i replace my hard drive? i really do not want it to fail mid-quarter because that is super annoying.

thanks.

More about : replace hard drive

September 8, 2008 12:18:51 AM

How big is the hard drive? IDE or Sata?
September 8, 2008 12:29:51 AM

you shouldn't really even have to replace it. unless you get a dud, hard drives can last for a very long time. i have an old seagate .5GB hard drive from 1995 that still works. i obviously have no use for it but it works nonetheless.
Related resources
September 8, 2008 12:30:00 AM

sata, it's 120gigs
September 8, 2008 12:46:16 AM

geeeeoffff1 said:
sata, it's 120gigs

Meh, it's still good. Keep it as a second storage drive.
September 8, 2008 12:47:02 AM

Don't bother. Hard drives are very reliable. Unless you really need more space, I wouldn't worry about it.
a b G Storage
September 8, 2008 1:06:45 AM

geeeeoffff1 said:
how frequently should i replace my hard drive? i really do not want it to fail mid-quarter because that is super annoying.

Annoying as it may be, that is the time to replace a hard drive, when it fails.

Also, if you are worried about a drive failing and losing data, then be sure to create back-ups any important files. One word; redundancy!
September 8, 2008 1:34:24 AM

Yea mid quarter is a real pain. I like it when my drive fail at the end of the quarter.
Now a days if I have data I just can't lose, it goes on an extra hard drive and dvd.
When I make a new system, I like to buy a new drive for it.
Invariably a drive will fail before the last backup was done and data gets lost.
June 14, 2011 7:04:35 PM

Its wise to replace your hard drive when the warranty has expired. this is because even the manufacture will not trust the drive. when you stop caring about your hard drive you stop caring about your computer. remember that's one of the most vital parts of the computer.

Secondly why spend all the time it takes restoring a backup when you can clone the drive and keep the old one on a shelf for later projects that are not as important as your everyday computer...

Hard drives today sell for about $60 even at best buy. Its worth knowing your data is safe for just under $30 dollars a year.
!