BFGTech - Poor Customer Service; Faulty Products

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I know there are probably a number of people that have gotten a good card from BFG Tech. I'm not going to structure this post in the form of a rant, but I nevertheless feel as though I should pose a warning to prospective purchasers, given my horribly negative experiences, which is in addition to multiple posts from others highlighting the unreliable nature of BFG products and services. I will recount this odyssey exactly how it unfolded...

For starters, I ordered a 7900 GT from them a while back, when it was the hot card. I paid something like $260ish for it. I was getting occasional artifacts, then it eventually died (within the warranty period). I did not OC it, and it was in a cool case. BFG agreed, after testing the card, that it was defective from the factory.

Okay, fair enough. I RMA it and they send out an 8600 GTS as a replacement. I didn't even need to install it to know it was defective. The metal plate that goes on the back, which houses the DVI ports, was grossly bent and contorted. In fact, as soon as I removed the plastic sandwich-style container from the shipping box, it shot open, because the card was so bent that it didn't fit in the precut hole. Whoever was at the factory had to literally jam the card into the plastic, force it shut, and hold it shut while they packaged it in the shipping box. And before you say it, there was no way it could have been damaged in shipping, as there were no marks on the box itself, and we're talking bent metal here. Even extreme temperatures couldn't have done it, as the temps required to bend metal in this fashion would have ignited the box.

That aside, I don't know what the warranty policy of other graphics manufacturers is, and this may just be the nature of the beast, but I was expecting a modern equivalent of the card I purchased. When I bought the 7900GT, it was at $250 MSRP, and was at the forefront of technology. Given the down time I had, and also considering that I was using a defective card the entire time, I was expecting to get a card that is at the forefront of technology, and MSRPs for $250. Instead, they send a $150 dollar card that is at the bottom of the range.

So I ask them, "You mean to tell me that I paid $250 for a card that was at the forefront of technology, it was broken from the factory, and you send me a card that is worth $150?" Of course, they cite the performance comparison. I mentioned the fact that I was suffering decreased performance the entire time I had the card. Given that the 7900 GT has been discontinued, I set up an analogy for them, so they could grasp what I was trying to say: "What if I bought a $60,000 Audi that had 400 horse power, and the car was so grossly defective that the manufacturer had to take it back and replace it. And what if Audi then said 'Well, we no longer make that model, but we have a lesser model with 400 horse power that goes for $40,000.' Would that fly," I ask them. They respond "No," and couldn't think of a valid line of BS to come back at me with. Indeed, if this happened in real life, Audi (or insurance) would replace the car with one of equal value, and of equal or better performance.

This went back and fourth for a while, and finally the woman on the phone cut me off and said "Look, all we can do is send you out another 8600 GTS." I respond by saying I want to talk to her supervisor. She informs me in a very curt fashion that "He doesn't generally take calls." I try to explain to her that this is not a general situation, and I need to talk to someone that understands the intricacies of warranty procedure, so that I could at least get a reasonable validation for what was occurring. She said "No," flat out, and went on "either return the new defective card for a replacement, or keep it. One or the other. That's our policy, no way around it." ::End of Call::

Well, that took the cake. I was explaining to them in a calm and logical way my side of the story, and they could not provide a valid retort. Every time I provided them with a completely lucid chain of reasoning, they could only respond with "Uhhh," and "Ahhh." And then I said "Even if you can't accept what I'm telling you, don't you think there should be some compensation for the time I haven't had a card, and the zero for two record I've experienced with BFG?" "No," was the answer.

Appalling. If you've read all this, and you still want a BFG card, I suppose there is nothing I can say to dissuade you. Maybe you're a long time user and you've had nothing but good luck. If that's the case, then I encourage you to stick with your brand. However, if you're a first time buyer and you need to sort through all the information, take what I've said here into consideration, and read some of the other posts with people experiencing trouble with their BFG cards/service/warranty.

pauldh

Illustrious
To be honest I didn't read the whole thing, but I just wanted to comment to you the 7900GT burning was NOT BFG's fault. Articles were written about the faulty 7900GT's, XFX forums were shut down, and evga's forums had a 10-page thread about faulty 7900's that had hundreds of bad cards listed in it.

I can tell you though that I have lucked out with BFG. I have probably used over a dozen BFG cards and never had to RMA a single one. Hopefully that trend continues as i have two new BFG 8800GT's and really don't want to get to know their customer support. :??: I prefer evga though but at $249 the price was right on the BFG's.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Haven't had a long history with BFG, only two purchases and cannot complain - ofcourse, I haven't dealt with customer service, which on another note; could be why that bald guy has his head in his hands...
+1 for BFG (untill they piss me off) :)

ginbong46

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007

dude im sorry to say this, but your reply makes no sense.. he wasnt talking about it being BFG's fault that his card died.

his point is that they did'nt give him a proper acceptable card after his RMA and they did'nt sound polite at all on the phone which is bad practice..

i have only had asus cards and after reading this i might stay clear from BFG :non:

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
haha funny! exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago. i sent my 7900gt in for a RMA (burned out exactly like yours) and got a 8600gts. I emailed back for a better card but they said they dont do that haha. I know i wont be buying BFG anymore though.

edit: haha heres the email about them comparing performance:
We do apologize for any inconveniences you may find in this upgrade but our
8600 GTS OC 256MB PCIE card is well above the value of the 7900 GT OC 256MB
PCIE as shown within its clock speeds:

8600 GTS OC
Core clock: 710Mhz
Memory: 2000Mhz

7900 GT OC
Core Clock: 475Mhz
Memory: 1360Mhz

We hope you will find the replacement satisfactory.

------------------------------------------
and i was like, well working at BFG, you should know that clock speeds dont equal better performance 100% anyways 18 emails later, i quit and accepted bad service. oh well.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
It sucks that you got a crappy deal from BFG but you really can't blame them too much. The problem is that the 7900 GT is an older, but still decent, discontinued card and there really isn't anything comparable performance wise in the current 8XXX series. Everything's either much better or not as good and the 8600 GTS probably is the closest to it. BFG did honor the warranty by replacing your card but that doesn't neccesarily mean they should have to give you what's worth $260 today for something you paid $260 for 2 years ago. If that's the way it worked, lots of people with a 7900GT or any other older card would find some way to RMA it back for the better card and it just doesn't work that way for obvious reasons.

No idea what the 7900GT is worth today but I wouldn't pay $150 for it. Maybe $100. HD 3850 or 8800GT have better price/performance ratios. They offered you a $150 card and they thought they were fair, even generous. No wonder they got annoyed when you refused. Yes, the 8600GTS is slower (except in Oblivion), but that is the closest thing they have to the 7900GT.

Try asking for an 8800GT and paying the difference between the price of the 8600GTS and the price of the 8800GT.

BTW, I once worked in Support for a tech company for 6 months. Trust me, it's hell. Even if they wanted to help you, it's possible that they couldn't because of some policy or other. If they were rude that's bad, sure, but TBH I'd be rude too if somebody sent me the 18th e-mail with exactly the same information after getting a "No" 17 times. You spend 2 minutes writing a nasty e-mail. The Support guy or gal has to file it in the Support database, fill in the date, time, client id, subject, history, executive summary, response, etc. Then he or she get his/her behind kicked at performance review time because the issue took so long to resolve - even though he/she had absolutely no way to resolve it. And of course that's how they eventually lose their raise or even their job, and another victim takes their place and gets the same treatment. Yuck... OK, I have no clue if that's how it works at BFG, I hope not.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
aevm: My rational was that I had purchased a card at $250, expecting the full performance, and got a card that delivered artifacting and poor FPS rates the entire time. Thus, I did not get what I paid for when I paid for it. I'm sorry, but giving me a cheaper card to replace something of better value is poor practice. Performance is irrelevant, and if you want to debate that point I'm all for it. I don't know if you've deluded yourself into believing this is fine practice, but its not. This would not fly in any other sector of business, period, end of sentence.

And I'm sorry, for them to get irate with me on the phone is unacceptable. I was being completely level headed and only asking for a reasonable justification for what they were doing. Instead they got curt and offered an ultimatum.

You know what though? I'm not going to raise my blood pressure over this any more. BFG has been going steadily down hill since eVGA moved to the fore. In fact, I don't think BFG was ever at the head of the pack. If they keep displeasing customers, and outright abusing them over the phone, they will go out of business.

In fact, if the FIRST 8600 GTS they sent me wasn't grossly defective out of the box (ie: a defective replacement for a defective card), I wouldn't have asked for something better in the first place.

The whole situation is appalling, as I said, and the lack of a suitable replacement card is only a secondary concern compared to not one, but two broken cards from them right in a row, and an abusive customer service department.

Do yourselves a favor and stay away.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
And I should emphasize, the fact that they didn't give me an acceptable replacement for my 7900GT is secondary to the two defective cards I got from them in a row, coupled with horribly rude customer service.

Getting a suitable replacement is a debatable issue, but one that is nonetheless ethically displeasing. Sending a physically bent and contorted replacement (ie: a card so defective you could take one glance at it and realize as much), and then responding to me like I'm a leper is unforgivable.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

:lol: what do we want? down with slap head! when do we want it? now!

Maybe they could get him a wig or something

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I'll definitely agree with you that what BFG did was BS. I personally stick with eVGA for all my Nvidia based products now, because they're customer support is bar-none the best in the bussiness, well besides Newegg's. Newegg rules, I bought a P5n-32 SLI Deluxe SE Nforce 4 motherboard and it died about 6 months later and they sent me a EVGA 680i SLI Rev. A1 board. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy with both companies now.

ro3dog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
It is bad when your product dont work ,but even worst when the support is bad.I bought a 7800gt fromthem awhile back and was having issues with it .It turned out that my problem was with my psu.The tech right of the bat was very rude and condecending,I took it as me being wrong for call,but after I thought about ,I decide never to buy there stuff again.Since then I bought 2 XFX 7900GTX ,$1000 they could have had.They have lost me has a customer 2+ yrs now

@JJBlanche: OK, I'm convinced. I thought you got two good years of play on the 7900GT and then it blew up, and $150 would be fair compensation in that case. But if it never worked right at all, then fair compensation would be a check for $250, maybe even more to compensate for your time and inconvenience. Well, I hope my own BFG card keeps working, or I'll have to go through the same nightmare myself :ouch:

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I'd have to say that since you knew there was a defect (at least to some extent since you said there were performance issues) but waited two years before it died to return the piece, the $150 8600 would have been a fair deal. However, making you wait and sending a card that was, quite obviously, damaged before it left the factory is poor QA and even worse customer service.

As for the part w/ not being able to speak with the supervisor... I'll say this: I have three friends that all work as Desktop Support (sit on a phone all day fixing computer related problems) and their supervisors literally can not tell you a thing about computers or really anything about policies. They are strictly there to be "Wardens". I'd say this may have been the reason "He usually doesn't take calls", and if that is the case... then BFG needs to rethink who is hired on as supervisors.

If I received the same treatment as you, I would never buy products from them again.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
rgeist: Yeah, the card was experiencing artifacting and all kinds of nonsense. BFG insisted my drivers were goofed up, or my mother board had issues...in short, they tried to blame everything except the card itself. Finally, after going back and fourth with them for months, the card burt out. They said send it in, and determined, finally, that it was indeed defective from the factory. And after all that they send me a bent up, mangled card as the RMA, then abuse me on the phone!! Out of control any way you look at it, and already within 24 hours of me posting this there are numerous responses by people that have had similar experiences with BFG. Terrible company.

pauldh

Illustrious

Dude, I started my reply by admitting that I did not read the whole thread. Did you miss that part? How does it not make sense that I wanted to mention the 7900GT burning issues as he described in his first couple of paragraphs was a known issue with the 7900GT itself and not BFG's fault or a fluke. He may not have known that, did you? But to many people it was a known fact. Don't read more into what I said as I admitted to only reading/commenting on one specific part of what he wrote.

Looking over the OP more, I wouldn't be happy either getting an 8600GTS as a replacement for the reasons he mentioned, but IMO it's actually a comparable card performance wise to the 7900GT. Many new games the GF7's plain suck at and the 8600GTS is indeed better. If I were offered a 7900GT or 8600GTS, I would take the 8600GTS for sure, and DX10 has nothing to do with that. Crysis, COD4, UT3, Oblivion, NFS:Carbon etc. all have something to do with it though as in those games 8600GTS>7900GT.

The cost arguement doesn't work though, as the BFG 8600GTS does not retail for $150. Look at places like BestBuy and Compusa they still have the 8600GTS at original retail prices.

$279 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8301214&st=8600+gts&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1172881770761

$249- http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=srch1&Ntt=8600+gts+&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&D=8600+gts+&Ntk=All&product_code=345703

Still I understand his frustration too that they replaced a high end 7900 series with a mainstream 8600 series card, but again it is a comparable card so I doubt arguing will get him anywhere. From what I have seen, Their warranty does not specifically say they can replace it with a card of equal value though as many warranties do so that would be where I would start my arguement by asking where the warranty states they can do that.
http://www.bfgtech.com/warranty.aspx

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
They outsource their support and have very restrictive policies on what they can do. I had a bad 6800GT and they tried to tell me it was the PS, etc. They eventually admitted the card was bad when I told them I had been monitoring voltages and they were OK and that I knew a manager that worked at BFG. I had interviewed there a week before I had problems with my card. I did get a comparable card back, but it was still being produced at the time. I'm glad I didn't end up working for them!

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
i sorta accepted the fact i got the 8600gts, but i was just trying to haggle my way to a better card by saying i wouldnt buy their products and bad support and such. too bad it didnt work haha.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Pauldu: My frustration stems more from the fact that the RMA they sent was grossly and obviously defective, and when I tried to negotiate with them, they responded in a very rude and dismissive fashion. I can accept the fact that they replaced my card with an 8600 GTS. I cannot accept quality control that is so poor that they cannot see a gross visual defect, and I cannot accept being badgered by their customer support.

DiamondWraith

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Yeah I'd say that's definitely unprofessional on their part. You should definitely receive a card with EQUAL or BETTER performance. If they don't want to do that, then they shouldn't offer over a year warranty.

I will say that EVGA has been very helpful(although sometimes rude, people have bad days) with my situation and shipped me an RMA for my 8800GT very quickly. It turns out it my original card wasn't even defective, it was a compatibility problem with the DVI cable(& the 8800GT, 7800GTX worked fine) I have for my monitor.

They were happy I fixed the problem & said they'd add my data to the FAQ.

-DW

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I sent this thread to the customer service rep that handled my case. This was her response:

"I do not see the notation of our offer to send you a replacement 7900 GT OC 256 PCIE overnighted by the end of the week and your choice to take the 8600 GTS. It is unfortunate that our attempt to satisfy your needs was left out.

Thank you,
Erica P
BFG Support"

And my response:

"Would you really want the public to know you offered me a discontinued card as an acceptable replacement? That was further insult to injury, that wasn't an attempt to satisfy my needs. You knew very well what my needs were, and actively chose not to satisfy them. The fact that you've read all the issues I've raised and only fixate on that bit of minutia furthers my claim that you are completely uninterested in customer care.

B. Blanche"

Anth12

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I just had an RMA for my 8800 GTX and they sent me back the same card and it does the same thing. Its a bad card I have tested it in other System's. It costs me 70 to RMA the card the first time.... now they expect me to pay 70 again to send it a second time... after they send me the same one back that doesnt work.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I bought a 6600 GT fronm BFG awhile back and it did not work at all when I tried to install it - just a black screen. I did the standard troubleshooting for the condition then called BFG. After less than a 5 minute discussion about the symptoms and troubleshooting, they issued an RMA and subsequently sent a replacement card.
I was very happy with their service - and with the card.

TRENDING THREADS