Q9300 Temperature Help.

Vukir

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I'm running a Zalman CNPS9700 on my Intel Q9300. The case has good air-flow and when I first started the system a couple of days ago, the processor temperature was sitting at about 30* c. I don't really know what happened, but in the course of over clocking, the processor temp started to climb to 50* c at idle, so I backed it down. Problem is that after I backed off the over-clocking, the processor still reads high idle. Core temp has my highest core at 56*, and the Asus AI suite is giving me a processor temp of 43* c.

Here's the questions: Does anyone have any idea why the heat-sink is no longer cooling as well as it was before (ambient temp is the same, and I reseated it as well)? Also, I know those temps are higher than I would preffer, but are they at dangerous temperatures? And does anyone have a range of comfortable to dangerous temperatures for the Q9300?

Thanks.

Vukir

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I was using some off the wall brand, scraped it off and put the thermal paste that came with my Zalman heat sink on it. But now something else seems to be amiss. I am running a (according to hardware monitor, asus AI suite, and speed fan) a CPU temp of 25* c (ambient is 22*), a MB temp of 37* ( I don't know if you can actually have a cpu temp lower than mb temp, but I know neither can really be lower than ambient) and core temps of 55*c (which is really a large delta from the cpu being 27).

So, I don't know if my CPU sensor died (although I did take one of the extra temp sensors and place it at the base of the heat sink, and it shows a similar, temp) or if the core sensors are reading wrong. Any ideas? Prefferably ones that I have the equipment for.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Cpu temps can be lower than NB temps, it's not impossible, but you're right that no temp being cooled by air only can be lower than ambient. Just how much thermal paste did you apply? Normally a small dab in the middle of the cpu works fine.

Also if the CPU temp is the TCase, then that large of a delta from air-cooling is near impossible, least according to my experience. Could possibly a faulty sensor or unsupported cpu. You do have the latest version of HWMonitor, right?

Anyways I'm suspecting you applied too much paste.

Vukir

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
-_- It was more than a small dab of paste, that's for sure. I'll assume this effect the temperature reading or the cooling performance of the heat sink?

As for HWMonitor, it's the latest they had to offer.

Should I take it all apart and clear off the paste and just use a small amount (what I got is like a little bottle of nail-polish with a brush to apply it)? And I should also assume that the core temps are accurate?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

I grabbed this from Arctic Silver's site. It's a good idea to paste down the middle, but mind not putting too much.

Your case is a little different I suppose. Since you have a brush, apply a thin layer of paste. Too much will contain heat and too little will decrease contact. Use rubbing alcohol to clean off the old paste using a lint free (ex:100% cotton) rag from both the cpu and heatsink.

Vukir

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Cleaned it up and re-applied the Thermal paste. Temperatures are still showing a large delta between CPU and core temps (-_- 25* c delta at idle right now). From what I've learned is that the core temps arn't totaly accurate (as the software doesn't get the exact math right, and is, in fact, guessing).

Is it safe to trust my CPU temps and just assume that my core temps are within 3-7* c of them? Or am I wrong in this, and should in fact be listening to the core temp readins?

Vukir

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Every time I try a new program to check core temps, it seems to give me a new set. HWMonitor reads my cores idling at 49*c, Core Temps shows them idling at 55*c, and Real Temp has them sitting at 44-46*c (which is a lower delta to the CPU, still a delta of 20*), and at the same time every program that reads CPU temp shows the same (currently 26*c with my zalman 9700 on manual-high).

I am trying to get ahold of a pyrometer, so I can shoot the processor and get an idea of the real temp. But it just seems to me that the Core temps are all out of whack.

Vukir

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Managed to procure a pyrometer today. Used it to shoot the CPU (base of the heat sink) and show only a couple degrees variation (shows warmer than cpu at idle, and cooler than cpu reading at load by about 3-5*c).

Knowing that, it would be safe to assume that my CPU readings are close to accurate, and the cores need calibration?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Well, truthfully, any programs you use to read the cpu temps are going to be off by around 5C, give or take. So knowing that, it's safe to assume that the readings are close to the real temps.

Read the temp guide here to properly tune things up.

sdnerf

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I have read where some CPU coolers come with a thick back plate, and in combination with certain MB's this back plate can com into contact with the case tray. If the cooler is on its side like most are and the MB is made of flimsy material it may not be making proper contact with the entire surface of the CPU. I have zip tied the sinks to the top of the case in order to take some of this tension off the MB. MIne idles at 19c and is 40c with a full load,
e6850 w 15% oc, tuniq tower and 4 - 120mm case fans.

defragme

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I think I may have a similar problem. I just built a desktop with a boxed Intel Q9300 processor. HWMonitor told me the CPU temperature is ~45-50 degrees Celsius (idle, no overclocking) for each of the four cores. I reinstalled the CPU (cleaning off thermal grease, then reapplying), but the readings remained unchanged. So I tried a few other CPU monitor programs and received different readings:

HWMonitor: ~45-50 degrees
CoreTemp: ~45-50 degrees (Tj Max = 100 degrees, don't know what it means)

Built-in monitor in BIOS: ~25-30 degrees
ASUS PC PROBE II (came with the motherboard): ~25-30 degrees.

What is going on here?