DS3L Heatsink Help

Cabt

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I need the best (and cheapest) heatsink/fan for a Gigabyte DS3L motherboard running an overclocked e2200 processor. I want to make sure that it fits and doesn't possible damage itself or anything else once installed and is far better than the stock intel fan.........any suggestions?

Many thanks....
Clayton.

jaibot18

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
my friend has a xigmatek hdt s1823 which i installed on that exact motherboard. installation is fast and easy and the heatsink is only 30 dollars

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
the best and cheapest heatsink would be the Coolermaster Hyper TX2 which is less then £10 in uk and the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is a little bit more at £15 which has better cooling performance then the Hyper TX2.

Mondoman

Splendid
The stock Intel fan is quite good, especially as most aftermarket coolers (including the ones mentioned above) do not perform the secondary cooling of components around the CPU that the stock Intel and similar "downdraft-style" coolers do.
You might be interested in a Zalman 8700.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
if you have got a well ventilate case with good airflow,then it doesnt matter how the cooler draft the air.i havent heard any overheat problem with that board so not to worry about mobo overheat.

A WELL VENTILATED CASE IS A MUST FOR OVERCLOCKING!!!:)

Cabt

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Is the stock fan on the E2200 sufficient to overclock it? This will be my first attempt at this and I don't plan to game with it...more for photo edit and multimedia, so any overclocking will be modest. The case is well ventilated (rosewill 5601 if I'm not mistaken). I haven't built it yet, just ordered my components and didn't want to have to add a fan later and then pull the mobo again. If the intel fan is fine than cool (no pun intended) if not I'd rather bite the bullet now.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

I give this idea two thumbs up.

Cabt

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Just ordered the Artic 7 Pro. :)... Here is the big question....Its been 15 years sine I have built a computer (the only fan in my last build was in the PSU).

Is there an instruction manual or a "building computers for dummmies" guide on Tom's anywhere?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
The install is very similar to the TX-2 which I use. To make it so that it doesn't feel as though your going to snap your board in half with the pushpins, support the mobo with the fingers from one hand, on the underside, while you push the pin in from up top with your other hand. Obviously make sure you rid yourself of static as this way gets touchy. Now repeat for opposite corners until all 4 are in. By doing this you can counter the big amount of pressure needed to make the pins 'click' into place with your fingers. Some people take the fan off as it makes getting 2 of the 4 pins in easier. After doing so you can pop the fan back on and strap it in the case. The good thing about this method is you can now check the bottom side of you mobo to actually see the pins and confirm they are in place. The complaints I've read from most people on the Egg reviews were probably too lazy to take the already installed mobo out and got afraid when they had to use a lot of pressure and never made the full connection, crying about how it pops out etc.

Cabt

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Thanks Bilbo, I do appreaicate the advice but I was asking the grander questions of a "how-to" on the entire build from the ground up.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

No problem, at least I covered the most nerve wracking part(at least for me.)