Angel

I recently came across a site that has a maphack download that shows you
where all the plaques and badges are on the ingame map and also it tells you
what lvl the mobs are in each part of the zones. If I installed this would
my account get banned?

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:40:01 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I recently came across a site that has a maphack download that shows you
>where all the plaques and badges are on the ingame map and also it tells you
>what lvl the mobs are in each part of the zones. If I installed this would
>my account get banned?

I PMed CuppaJo on the forums a couple weeks ago about such maps
(Vidiot Maps are the most popular. Not sure if there are others or
not), asking her if these maps were against the EULA. This was her
response:

>Yup. But no one is going to chase you down for it. Just do not discuss it
>on the boards.

So, basically, use them, fine. Just don't go to Cryptic or the forums
for help if anything goes wrong with them. ;)

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Angel

"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:40:01 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I recently came across a site that has a maphack download that shows you
>>where all the plaques and badges are on the ingame map and also it tells
>>you
>>what lvl the mobs are in each part of the zones. If I installed this
>>would
>>my account get banned?
>>

> I PMed CuppaJo on the forums a couple weeks ago about such maps
> (Vidiot Maps are the most popular. Not sure if there are others or
> not), asking her if these maps were against the EULA. This was her
> response:
>
>>Yup. But no one is going to chase you down for it. Just do not discuss it
>>on the boards.
>
> So, basically, use them, fine. Just don't go to Cryptic or the forums
> for help if anything goes wrong with them. ;)

Is this likely to have something go wrong? I am talking about the download
from vidiotmaps.com

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:28:02 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> I PMed CuppaJo on the forums a couple weeks ago about such maps
>> (Vidiot Maps are the most popular. Not sure if there are others or
>> not), asking her if these maps were against the EULA. This was her
>> response:
>>
>>>Yup. But no one is going to chase you down for it. Just do not discuss it
>>>on the boards.
>>
>> So, basically, use them, fine. Just don't go to Cryptic or the forums
>> for help if anything goes wrong with them. ;)
>>

>Is this likely to have something go wrong? I am talking about the download
>from vidiotmaps.com

Vidiot Maps is pretty respectable. I wouldn't expect any problems from
their maps.

--

"Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:40:01 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I recently came across a site that has a maphack download that shows you
>>>where all the plaques and badges are on the ingame map and also it tells
>>>you
>>>what lvl the mobs are in each part of the zones. If I installed this
>>>would
>>>my account get banned?
>>>

>> I PMed CuppaJo on the forums a couple weeks ago about such maps
>> (Vidiot Maps are the most popular. Not sure if there are others or
>> not), asking her if these maps were against the EULA. This was her
>> response:
>>
>>>Yup. But no one is going to chase you down for it. Just do not discuss it
>>>on the boards.
>>
>> So, basically, use them, fine. Just don't go to Cryptic or the forums
>> for help if anything goes wrong with them. ;)
>>

>Is this likely to have something go wrong? I am talking about the download
>from vidiotmaps.com

Highly unlikely since you aren't altering the actual game files at all.

I will note that I had to move mods out in order for issue4 to patch
correctly (it went into an endless loop of scanning/fixing/redownloading
while the mods were present.)

I also use a couple sound and graphic mods to get rid of the horrid
superspeed/regen/and some other looping sounds and some of the more
atrocious graphics (regen integration/instant healing) so it may not
have been the maps that were causing the problem.

As soon as Issue4 completed patching properly I put all the mods back
and everything worked fine including the in-game maps.

Xocyll

In article <cvCdnUfsaYi4ID3fRVn-pA@wideopenwest.com>, Angel wrote:
> "Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:40:01 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I recently came across a site that has a maphack download that shows you
>>>where all the plaques and badges are on the ingame map and also it tells
>>>you
>>>what lvl the mobs are in each part of the zones. If I installed this
>>>would
>>>my account get banned?
>>>

>> I PMed CuppaJo on the forums a couple weeks ago about such maps
>> (Vidiot Maps are the most popular. Not sure if there are others or
>> not), asking her if these maps were against the EULA. This was her
>> response:
>>
>>>Yup. But no one is going to chase you down for it. Just do not discuss it
>>>on the boards.
>>
>> So, basically, use them, fine. Just don't go to Cryptic or the forums
>> for help if anything goes wrong with them. ;)
>>

> Is this likely to have something go wrong? I am talking about the download
> from vidiotmaps.com

Since it's not actually patching the game files, it's unlikely that it
could cause anything to go wrong, and, in the unusual event that it did,
simply deleting the files from your COH directory would effect a
complete cure.

The worst case scenario is... you're stuck with the maps in the game
now. Horrors!

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:55:04 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

>I will note that I had to move mods out in order for issue4 to patch
>correctly (it went into an endless loop of scanning/fixing/redownloading
>while the mods were present.)
>
>I also use a couple sound and graphic mods to get rid of the horrid
>superspeed/regen/and some other looping sounds and some of the more
>atrocious graphics (regen integration/instant healing) so it may not
>have been the maps that were causing the problem.
>
>As soon as Issue4 completed patching properly I put all the mods back
>and everything worked fine including the in-game maps.

I doubt it was the maps, as I use those and had no problems patching. I
don't currently have any graphic/sound mods, so I guess that's where
your problem came from.

I was very unimpressed with the effect of Issue 4, though. It started my
game crashing unpredictably whenever I looked at a new window(contacts,
mission, info) or zoned, and I had to install new graphics drivers and
disable shadows before this went away.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:28:02 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> scribed
into the ether:

>"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:40:01 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I recently came across a site that has a maphack download that shows you
>>>where all the plaques and badges are on the ingame map and also it tells
>>>you
>>>what lvl the mobs are in each part of the zones. If I installed this
>>>would
>>>my account get banned?
>>>

>> I PMed CuppaJo on the forums a couple weeks ago about such maps
>> (Vidiot Maps are the most popular. Not sure if there are others or
>> not), asking her if these maps were against the EULA. This was her
>> response:
>>
>>>Yup. But no one is going to chase you down for it. Just do not discuss it
>>>on the boards.
>>
>> So, basically, use them, fine. Just don't go to Cryptic or the forums
>> for help if anything goes wrong with them. ;)
>>

>Is this likely to have something go wrong? I am talking about the download
>from vidiotmaps.com

No, but you never know when someone else might write up a trojan and pass
it off as some form of CoH mod. Cryptic is basically taking the stance that
if this happens, it's your own damn fault.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:55:04 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>"Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>

>>"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message

>>> I PMed CuppaJo on the forums a couple weeks ago about such maps
>>> (Vidiot Maps are the most popular. Not sure if there are others or
>>> not), asking her if these maps were against the EULA. This was her
>>> response:

>>> So, basically, use them, fine. Just don't go to Cryptic or the forums
>>> for help if anything goes wrong with them. ;)
>>>

>>Is this likely to have something go wrong? I am talking about the download
>>from vidiotmaps.com
>
>Highly unlikely since you aren't altering the actual game files at all.
>
>I will note that I had to move mods out in order for issue4 to patch
>correctly (it went into an endless loop of scanning/fixing/redownloading
>while the mods were present.)
>
>I also use a couple sound and graphic mods to get rid of the horrid
>superspeed/regen/and some other looping sounds and some of the more
>atrocious graphics (regen integration/instant healing) so it may not
>have been the maps that were causing the problem.

Hmm, I have an extensive sound bias against the sounds in Dark Armor, and
I4 patched without any problems at all for me. Might have been the map
thing, since I4 included some actual map changes (adding in the arena,
university construction, and such).

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:02:46 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

> Cryptic's official policy is that using them WILL result in disciplinary
> action against your account.
>
> Not that this really stops anyone.

And not that they really have any way to tell you're using them, since
they're client-side only.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:45:17 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:02:46 GMT, Matt Frisch
><matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>
>> Cryptic's official policy is that using them WILL result in disciplinary
>> action against your account.
>>
>> Not that this really stops anyone.
>
>And not that they really have any way to tell you're using them, since
>they're client-side only.

Actually, according to CuppaJo, the only disciplinary action that you
have to worry about is having your posts deleted if you discuss it on
the forums. She said they're not going to "hunt you down for using
it". As I said, it seems to be a case of the term only really being
there so they don't have to deal with it if someone puts out a trojan
in the guise of a map pack or some such.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:02:46 GMT, Matt Frisch
><matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>
>> Cryptic's official policy is that using them WILL result in disciplinary
>> action against your account.
>>
>> Not that this really stops anyone.
>
>And not that they really have any way to tell you're using them, >since they're client-side only.

That would be dead simple to find out; All they'd have to do is check
for the presence of a data directory in the city of heroes directory.

They don't care.

They "officially" ban them because they don't want support calls from
people who have hosed their own system with mods and are too stupid to
think "maybe I should remove the mod I added just before CoH stopped
working/started crashing/etc."

Cryptic have enough problems with crashing, mem leaks, etc from their
own coding, without added user mods confusing the issue further

Xocyll