Sign in with
Your question

What's killing AMD?

Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2007 10:25:17 AM

Let’s dig it out!

Not long ago, they had a healthy edge on Intel, but look where they stand now! On the brink of bankruptcy. The entire company is not worth a dime. A buy out by a larger company is also out of the question, because AMD will take down with it, any company who owns it.

Why?

More about : killing amd

a b à CPUs
December 5, 2007 10:38:29 AM

/Troll_Sensor = Activated
December 5, 2007 10:40:53 AM

crap products?

just a thought
Related resources
December 5, 2007 10:40:53 AM

Oh dear, not this one again! I suggest reading through the post on this page of the forum list, "amd stock falls 25% - investors scared" or something, the exact wording fails me. Read it, follow the links, comment!

I beleive there were rumours of samsung taking a look at taking over amd, I think they have more than enough financial clout to swallow amd and its debt and stuff, mount, and gold-plate Dirk Meyer.
December 5, 2007 10:41:47 AM

/Flamebait in cage in specified location.
December 5, 2007 11:23:44 AM

Hm, does "absolute stupidity" explain it? I think they took some really big risks and it backfired :-/
December 5, 2007 11:32:13 AM

Perhaps they rested too long while being in front and thought Intel would never catch up.
December 5, 2007 12:21:46 PM

Have you seen there latest ideas spider, 4x4 quad core mb's all this time, and wasted resources on silly ideas when they should be working on mainstream consumer products, not enthusiast which makes less money, which amd is trying not to do lol.
December 5, 2007 12:58:22 PM

I N T E L
December 5, 2007 1:02:38 PM

I honestly think that it was AMD purchasing ATi that is putting this hurt on them. Yes ATi is a great card company... or was, but since AMD took over they seem to have lost their edge. Not only that, ATi was an expensive purchase from AMD. They were trying to make them self a threat (a triple threat) but so far it kinda blew up in their face. I am hopping they are going through growing pains and that’s it. I do not think they are loosing as much as we think. They have 2 out of 3 consoles they are supplying for (Wii and X-box 360). Also, I have seen more stores (best buy, circuit city, Wal-Mart, more) selling AMD based computers like hotcakes (I don’t know why hotcakes sell so good. they are not that great).

But... they did kick themselves when they were down with Barcelona. The R600 was a dud, and their revision (the 3000 series) is just the same. Because they are much smaller then Intel, they can not take 1 failure, let alone 3 (Barcelona, R600, and the HD3000 series). They just do not have the cash or credit to survive under these conditions like Intel does.

I would love to see Samsung, IBM, SUN, or Bob Dole buy them out. Someone who would give Intel a great run for their money. They need to be bought out by someone who has the time and money to spend on R&D and can take a failure or to.
December 5, 2007 1:19:46 PM

IBM buying amd, that would be something. AMD on financial steroids. Bulging muscles and evil shaving rash.
December 5, 2007 1:23:40 PM

AMD
December 5, 2007 1:43:27 PM

R U I Z
December 5, 2007 1:44:40 PM

techguy911 said:
Have you seen there latest ideas spider, 4x4 quad core mb's all this time, and wasted resources on silly ideas when they should be working on mainstream consumer products, not enthusiast which makes less money, which amd is trying not to do lol.

Keep your replies rolling. I am sure we'll find the reason.
December 5, 2007 1:48:19 PM

"We'll stay here all night if we have to!"

"can we get chinese food?"

"yes"

one for simpsons fans out there.
December 5, 2007 2:03:31 PM

I think the BCS System is killing AMD
December 5, 2007 2:46:58 PM

bfellow said:

What is that?
December 5, 2007 3:09:41 PM

Wrong said:
What is that?

College football system that decides what teams go to which bowl games. Worst system every put into place, my guess is he is a disgrunted Georgia fan :p 
December 5, 2007 3:17:51 PM

spongebob said:
R U I Z

QFT.
December 5, 2007 3:18:11 PM

bfellow said:

LOL.
That's great.

I think it was a bunch of factors:
Not pushing when they had K8 beating Intel CPUs.
Buying out ATI at the wrong time (should've tried to buy them out during K8 heyday).
Mismanagement - believing that Intel's new product would be like Netburst (sort of like how Intel treated AMD before losing market share).
Claiming outrageous gains, and not living up to their own hype.
The price war they put themselves in with Intel.

Like I said, a bunch of things.
December 5, 2007 3:39:36 PM

NMDante said:
LOL.
That's great.

I think it was a bunch of factors:
Not pushing when they had K8 beating Intel CPUs.
Buying out ATI at the wrong time (should've tried to buy them out during K8 heyday).
Mismanagement - believing that Intel's new product would be like Netburst (sort of like how Intel treated AMD before losing market share).
Claiming outrageous gains, and not living up to their own hype.
The price war they put themselves in with Intel.

Like I said, a bunch of things.

There is always only one reason for everything. all other reasons just build up on that single reason and form the Bunch.
December 5, 2007 3:48:17 PM

Wrong said:
There is always only one reason for everything. all other reasons just build up on that single reason and form the Bunch.

Yes, but what is that one reason? Being unprepared for Core 2's performance? Ruiz's "Marketshare at all cost" mantra? The timing of the ATI buyout?

I do agree that there is usually 1 reason, but in this case, I think it was a collection of mismanagement, bad timing, and product issues that caused AMD to be in the position they are in now.
December 5, 2007 4:04:27 PM

NMDante said:
Yes, but what is that one reason? Being unprepared for Core 2's performance? Ruiz's "Marketshare at all cost" mantra? The timing of the ATI buyout?

I do agree that there is usually 1 reason, but in this case, I think it was a collection of mismanagement, bad timing, and product issues that caused AMD to be in the position they are in now.

Now let's get this straight. You say you do agree, but then you add "usually". I didn't say usually, but "ALWAYS". If you agree with me, then you have to take that "usually" out.
December 5, 2007 4:08:37 PM

1. Delayed product launches
2. Price/Performance pricing when their products don't perform well, this has slashed the money they make
3. Insistence on making a "true quad core" on 65nm
4. Releasing brand new flagship products that don't even perform anywhere near the competition

Basically look at any thread started by me for your answers. Of course, anyone who is negative about AMD is being a fanboy/troll according to some.

However, I will agree this thread is flamebait. When I start threads it is about some new information and I provide links.
December 5, 2007 4:20:56 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
1. Delayed product launches
2. Price/Performance pricing when their products don't perform well, this has slashed the money they make
3. Insistence on making a "true quad core" on 65nm
4. Releasing brand new flagship products that don't even perform anywhere near the competition

Basically look at any thread started by me for your answers. Of course, anyone who is negative about AMD is being a fanboy/troll according to some.

However, I will agree this thread is flamebait. When I start threads it is about some new information and I provide links.

The reasons you mentioned are all correct, just like those of NMDante. What I am trying to do is to oversee the trees and look at the forest.

My links consist of your cognition. so when I say something, I count on you referring to your own understanding. And no, this is not a flamebait. It is reality. No reason for Intel fanboy to be jubilant, because once AMD is gone, Intel will become a fat and corrupt company and die in disgrace.

December 5, 2007 4:21:40 PM

I think they are not going to bankrupt that statement is baseless. You should have proof on that.
Techreport says they have increased sales. Together with Intel.
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/13719
They have increased market share so how could they go to bankrupt?
December 5, 2007 4:23:53 PM

Wrong said:
Now let's get this straight. You say you do agree, but then you add "usually". I didn't say usually, but "ALWAYS". If you agree with me, then you have to take that "usually" out.

No, it's not always. I do agree that there is 1 reason for most problems, but like I said, 1 single problem cannot be the root cause for what has happened to AMD.

You believe there is one reason for AMD's misfortunes, I don't. That's why I said "usually". If you know that one, single reason for AMD's problem, I would love to hear what it is.
December 5, 2007 4:25:50 PM

pogsnet said:
I think they are not going to bankrupt that statement is baseless. You should have proof on that.

Increase in marketshare does not equate to profitability.
If ASPs are still very low, then that just means AMD sold more systems for less to gain .6 marketshare.
December 5, 2007 4:26:34 PM

Wrong said:
The reasons you mentioned are all correct, just like those of NMDante. What I am trying to do is to oversee the trees and look at the forest.

My links consist of your cognition. so when I say something, I count on you referring to your own understanding. And no, this is not a flamebait. It is reality. No reason for Intel fanboy to be jubilant, because once AMD is gone, Intel will become a fat and corrupt company and die in disgrace.

I'm not jubilant in AMD's failures. I point them out. If all things were equal, I would buy AMD to support the smaller company and promote competition.

I'm not rooting for AMD's failure, but I'm angry at the mismanagement and repeated failures of the company.
December 5, 2007 4:27:03 PM

cfvh600 said:
Perhaps they rested too long while being in front and thought Intel would never catch up.

Bingo!
December 5, 2007 4:28:08 PM

bfellow said:

ROFLMAO! I have never agreed more! Texas Tech should be in the national championship game... :sarcastic: 

Best,

3Ball
December 5, 2007 4:28:52 PM

pogsnet said:

You don't really believe that, do you?
December 5, 2007 4:29:29 PM

3Ball said:
ROFLMAO! I have never agreed more! Texas Tech should be in the national championship game... :sarcastic: 

Best,

3Ball

TT vs. ND.

That would surely be the death of the BCS if that happened this year.

LOL
December 5, 2007 4:31:19 PM

NMDante said:
TT vs. ND.

That would surely be the death of the BCS if that happened this year.

LOL

HAHA yea, then we would get our playoff system so everything would be ok. I am pretty sure that we would score 130 points on ND though. lol

Best,

3Ball
December 5, 2007 4:32:30 PM

NMDante said:
No, it's not always. I do agree that there is 1 reason for most problems, but like I said, 1 single problem cannot be the root cause for what has happened to AMD.

You believe there is one reason for AMD's misfortunes, I don't. That's why I said "usually". If you know that one, single reason for AMD's problem, I would love to hear what it is.

I caught you. so you don't agree it is always. now you can't agree and at the same time disagree. You may chose only ONE! :lol: 

It is not possible to go any further before we have reached an agreement on this single reason thing.
December 5, 2007 4:37:01 PM

Glue Deficiency....

They just... fell apart.

:oops: 
December 5, 2007 4:43:13 PM

Grimmy said:
Glue Deficiency....

They just... fell apart.

:oops: 

Thats because Intel bought out elmers so they could manufacture the glue for their quads (if you believe such things) in house. lol

Best,

3Ball
December 5, 2007 4:45:56 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Mmmmm.... Double Cheeseburger...

Touche!
December 5, 2007 4:47:39 PM

3Ball said:
Thats because Intel bought out elmers so they could manufacture the glue for their quads (if you believe such things) in house. lol

Best,

3Ball

I don't understand your avatar. but looks interesting
December 5, 2007 4:49:29 PM

Wrong said:
I don't understand your avatar. but looks interesting

It's the Unreal Tournament franchise logo...tis my favorite game! lol

Best,

3Ball
December 5, 2007 4:51:06 PM

Wrong said:
You don't really believe that, do you?

Mate you sound more like a broken record than i do, check out the thread i told you about. Shipments and market share improved in q3, moving towards the black for q4. All the links and info, and the place for this argument, are there.
December 5, 2007 5:02:59 PM

spoonboy said:
moving towards the black for q4.

I don't think so, Tim.

December 5, 2007 5:04:40 PM

Only way I see black in Q4 is a massive amount of 3800 series cards being sold.

If ND ever gets in a BCS bowl next year then BCS system should self-destruct
December 5, 2007 5:10:58 PM

bfellow said:
Only way I see black in Q4 is a massive amount of 3800 series cards being sold.

If ND ever gets in a BCS bowl next year then BCS system should self-destruct

lol so true, I want a 3870, BUT I CANT FIND ONE. I may be settling for an 8800GTS SSC 640mb and then step up to the G92 revision once they are readily available since I even if I could get an 8800GT I wouldnt because of the single slot cooler and the fact that I play at a res and usually detail level that I will benefit from the SSC slightly more. That and I am not paying for it...it will be a x-mas gift! lol

Best,

3Ball
December 5, 2007 7:08:46 PM

Ok, whats killing AMD? After reading all the stuff today (12-5-07), the only answer now is.... themself.
December 5, 2007 7:25:39 PM

spaztic7 said:
Ok, whats killing AMD? After reading all the stuff today (12-5-07), the only answer now is.... themself.

It is scary stuff. got any spare pants around?
December 5, 2007 7:32:43 PM

Actually its quite simple. Its a medical term called Craniusinrectus. The greater the condition the worse situations around the affected person become.
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 5, 2007 8:16:22 PM

Wrong - If you want a SINGLE reason, Then TC hit it on the head which resulted in the 4 disastrous decisions.

Ref. to BK, there are two forms, one - they close thier door, and (2) - they cancel debt. which is probably the route AMD would take IF IT HAD TO.

Markets had a good UP day
- NASDAC & QQQQ up 1.78 %
- INTC up 91 cents (+3.46%)
- AMD down 34 cents (-3.68%)

A real problem for AMD is the real value of a share. Currently they are valued at $8.93, The real value is ((All assets - All liabilites)/# of outstanding shares). My Quess REPEAST QUESS as I cannot find that value is $2 -> $4. Note: Intel is less than it Stock value, BUT no where near AMD.

This is the value a stock can fall to if investors and Major fund managers decide it's time to "cut" losses.
December 5, 2007 10:54:59 PM

Wrong said:
I caught you. so you don't agree it is always. now you can't agree and at the same time disagree. You may chose only ONE! :lol: 

It is not possible to go any further before we have reached an agreement on this single reason thing.

**sigh** :lol: 

Okay. I do agree that there is usually (yes, usually) one reason for problems. The thing I won't agree with is that there is only one, single reason why AMD is in the shape it is in now. There are too many factors that occurred at one time to really say it was only one thing.

Now, if one of the fabs was damaged by an earthquake, then that could be the single reason. But with AMD, it's a whole slew of things that pretty much had a domino effect on it. The ATI buyout, the sitting on K8 profits, the claims of grandeur for upcoming products, the delays, or the lack of performance for the same hyped products. Those all could be the single reason, but I don't believe one can make them be in the shape they are in right now. They all, collectively, took their toll, and they all caused the state that AMD is in now.

Now, if you want to point a single finger, then I would point it at management. They are the captains of the ship, and should take all the responsibility for what has happened in the last year/year and half.

So, I do agree, but still respectfully disagree. :D 
!