What's killing AMD?

Wrong

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Let’s dig it out!

Not long ago, they had a healthy edge on Intel, but look where they stand now! On the brink of bankruptcy. The entire company is not worth a dime. A buy out by a larger company is also out of the question, because AMD will take down with it, any company who owns it.

Why?

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Oh dear, not this one again! I suggest reading through the post on this page of the forum list, "amd stock falls 25% - investors scared" or something, the exact wording fails me. Read it, follow the links, comment!

I beleive there were rumours of samsung taking a look at taking over amd, I think they have more than enough financial clout to swallow amd and its debt and stuff, mount, and gold-plate Dirk Meyer.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Have you seen there latest ideas spider, 4x4 quad core mb's all this time, and wasted resources on silly ideas when they should be working on mainstream consumer products, not enthusiast which makes less money, which amd is trying not to do lol.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I honestly think that it was AMD purchasing ATi that is putting this hurt on them. Yes ATi is a great card company... or was, but since AMD took over they seem to have lost their edge. Not only that, ATi was an expensive purchase from AMD. They were trying to make them self a threat (a triple threat) but so far it kinda blew up in their face. I am hopping they are going through growing pains and that’s it. I do not think they are loosing as much as we think. They have 2 out of 3 consoles they are supplying for (Wii and X-box 360). Also, I have seen more stores (best buy, circuit city, Wal-Mart, more) selling AMD based computers like hotcakes (I don’t know why hotcakes sell so good. they are not that great).

But... they did kick themselves when they were down with Barcelona. The R600 was a dud, and their revision (the 3000 series) is just the same. Because they are much smaller then Intel, they can not take 1 failure, let alone 3 (Barcelona, R600, and the HD3000 series). They just do not have the cash or credit to survive under these conditions like Intel does.

I would love to see Samsung, IBM, SUN, or Bob Dole buy them out. Someone who would give Intel a great run for their money. They need to be bought out by someone who has the time and money to spend on R&D and can take a failure or to.

Wrong

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006

Keep your replies rolling. I am sure we'll find the reason.

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

College football system that decides what teams go to which bowl games. Worst system every put into place, my guess is he is a disgrunted Georgia fan :p

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

LOL.
That's great.

I think it was a bunch of factors:
Not pushing when they had K8 beating Intel CPUs.
Buying out ATI at the wrong time (should've tried to buy them out during K8 heyday).
Mismanagement - believing that Intel's new product would be like Netburst (sort of like how Intel treated AMD before losing market share).
Claiming outrageous gains, and not living up to their own hype.
The price war they put themselves in with Intel.

Like I said, a bunch of things.

Wrong

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006

There is always only one reason for everything. all other reasons just build up on that single reason and form the Bunch.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Yes, but what is that one reason? Being unprepared for Core 2's performance? Ruiz's "Marketshare at all cost" mantra? The timing of the ATI buyout?

I do agree that there is usually 1 reason, but in this case, I think it was a collection of mismanagement, bad timing, and product issues that caused AMD to be in the position they are in now.

Wrong

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006

Now let's get this straight. You say you do agree, but then you add "usually". I didn't say usually, but "ALWAYS". If you agree with me, then you have to take that "usually" out.

1. Delayed product launches
2. Price/Performance pricing when their products don't perform well, this has slashed the money they make
3. Insistence on making a "true quad core" on 65nm
4. Releasing brand new flagship products that don't even perform anywhere near the competition

Basically look at any thread started by me for your answers. Of course, anyone who is negative about AMD is being a fanboy/troll according to some.

However, I will agree this thread is flamebait. When I start threads it is about some new information and I provide links.

Wrong

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006

The reasons you mentioned are all correct, just like those of NMDante. What I am trying to do is to oversee the trees and look at the forest.

My links consist of your cognition. so when I say something, I count on you referring to your own understanding. And no, this is not a flamebait. It is reality. No reason for Intel fanboy to be jubilant, because once AMD is gone, Intel will become a fat and corrupt company and die in disgrace.