which motherboard is the best for about 300$ is it the asus striker???

eladvini

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
i'm about to buy a motherboard for my system:

cpu:Q6600

ram: 2*2GB 800MHZ CORSAIR

power supply: CORSAIR VX550W

hdd: WD5000AAKS (500GB)

cpu cooler unit: SUNBEAM TUNIQ TOWER 120

gpu: ASUS EN8800GT

case: NZXT LEXA

I only missing the last part to buy and i need your guy's advise:
should i buy the asus striker extream or the GIGABYTE PQ6 or something else
i have about 300$ +-
I would like it to be SLI support and optimize for OC,and it must match all of the component above.
should i buy one that have DDR3 and DDR2 support or that is unnecessary,
thanks.

ooral

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
I'd leave the Striker unless you have a bit of experience. I have one and have had a few problems....... A lot of people have the CPU INIT error, I had lots of fun fixing that! BIOS isn't great either, memory has to be from the Asus approved list or you get 'issues', presently I have my memory overvolted to get 4 sticks to run..... The list goes on!

I'd search these forums to get an idea on the Striker.

Now that I have latest BIOS and everything set up, my system is great, just can be painful getting there!

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
EVGA is the way to go for any SLI system because they have the most stable mobo. Not sure which models are the ones to get ,but have heard alot better things about the EVGA brand SLI mainboard.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
apart from the SLI then a $150 P35 mobo (abit IP35 Pro or similar) will do everything that you want it to & if you don't need even th efeatures that it has then you could go cheaper again.
If you must have SLI then I suggest that you wait for the 780is mobos to start showing up in quantity as hopefully they at least address some of the issues of 680i.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
If you plan on overclocking and want the most out of everything look at the DFI motherboards...the win each years OC contest held in Taiwan for both Intel and AMD platforms.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
haha I love how people say the strike is soooo bad :) It's a great board and OC's freakin awsome! I would look to the new 780i boards though they hven't yet got ddr3 support, but if that doesn't matter then do it! xfx has one and apperently all you have to do to OC is change you fsb and put everything else to auto and done!!!! a stable oc
ooo weee that sounds good!

eladvini

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
thank you all you've been very halpfull..
one thing i dont understand.. the ASUS Maximus dose'nt support SLI right? and the 780i isnt out yet.. so the only choice i have is to wait for somthing new or to go and buy a 680i based board no?
and in that section the striker is the best no?
ooral- you think i'll have prob with my 2*2gb crosair 800Mhz ???
i rather have somthing that will work as i hook every thing up..
but i want it to be powerfull and best for OC becuase i plan to start with it soon.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Only an NVidia mobo can do SLI, stay away from the Striker Extreme unless you want a nightmare. DDR2 800MHz is fine unless you are looking for a better OC then get 1066MHz Ram. Either go 680i or wait for the 780i.