P5KC Speedfan Temperature Readings?

hheiber

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I've installed Speedfan and am trying to understand the temperature readings it is giving me for my P5KC and e6750 CPU. Here are the readings I am getting:

System: 34C
CPU: 6C
AUX: 127C
HD0: 31C
CORE1: 15C
CORE2: 15C
CORE: 58C
Ambient: 0C

Which ones are the readings I should use to monitor my system? I am assuming that System, Core1 and Core2 were the most relevant.

Thanks.

Since the new speedfan has yet to be released your core0 and core1 temps are 15c too low.....At the time they assumed that all core2 chips had a TJMAX of 85. In your case it is 100. so speedfan just asks the cpu how far am i and does some math to get the temps...

Speedfan: Hey cpu, how close
CPU: 70
Speedfan: Math time :)

85-75=15c

Speedfan: hey hheiber, 15 :)

Add an offset so it will go

85-70+15 = 30

From config go under Advanced edit the Intel Core....Dont forget to add the remember it checkmarks as well
speedfanqn3.gif

This will be fixed in the next release....

Ohh and the one marked Core is your video card....

hheiber

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Thanks. That was helpful. Especially about Core being the Video Card. I don't think I would have ever figured that one out.

So, I think I am looking at the right readings to measure the temperature. System, Core1, and Core2 are the ones that seem to fluctuate when under load.

johntwoods

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey nukemaster... you seem like the guy i should be asking for this. i'm not sure if the 15c adjust applies to everyone who uses SpeedFan or what.

I have a MSI K9N Diamond (7226) motherboard. Using newest version of SpeedFan, my readings are:

readings.jpg

Does everything look the way it's suppose to? And the "system" temperature... is that referring to the Northbridge?

Also, my stupid, brand new, northbridge fan is the loudest thing in the entire world. the only thing that would be louder is if i had two of these lovely little 40mm fans side by side in the case, and worse than that, 3, and so on...

anyway... when I adjust the speed tmeperature of the northbridge fan, in my case, Speed03... the lowest i can go is 51%. if I put it at 50%, it turns off completely. Which is so nice, because it's so quiet. But, I think I kinda need it. But does that sound strange? I feel like I'm missing something. If I adjust it to 37% it turns off, 15% turns off, anything between 0-50, it turns off.

hope this message makes sense. I'm going crazy and have been for a few weeks now.

thanks man.

anything between 0 and 50% turns off because there is no longer enough voltage to run the fan....its bad for it to feed it low enough voltage to shut if off(builds up heat).....

With your AMD based systems there is no need to a 15c offset....

Did you change the NB fan?

There appears to be a fairly large heatsink in place. so lower speeds should still keep it cool enough to be stable, If you are pushing lots of overclocking raising the fan speed may be required....

As for what is the chipset temp. You got me. Every board is different and as such some don't even have chipset temperature sensors. Best bet is to slow it down to where its not annoying you and as long as its stable, i would not worry about it. Most chipsets can take allot of heat...

slowing it down may also lead to a increased temperature on one of the sensors showing you what is in fact the chipset is if there is a sensor for it....

EDIT, also you appear to be missing a core in speedfan....did you hide one?

johntwoods

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I changed the NB fan with a new 40mm fan, yes... and it's wicked loud. Running at about 8000rpms and even when I turn the speed of the fan down in SpeedFan, to say 51%, the lowest I can go, as you said, it's still annoying because the fan sounds so janky and rattles. even though it's secured.

I'd like to not use a fan at all.
Is there a way I can get away with a fanless solution?

I'm not overclocking my cpu since it's great on it's own. AMD Athlon X2 64 6400+, each at 3.2GHz.

when I slow the Northbridge fan down, the SYSTEM temperature goes up in SpeedFan.

Also, I have nothing hidden, the temperatures that you see on the screen cap are every one that is offered to me to view.

i see the hheiber at the top of the post has CORE1, CORE2 & CORE listed... and I only have CORE. Does core relate to my video card? On my CONFIGURE tab, my Core says it relates to the "AMD K8 chip" And what about Core1 & Core2? what are those temperatures related to?

Here's a screencap of my Configure/Temperature List:
I changed the NB fan with a new 40mm fan, yes... and it's wicked loud.

I'd like to not use a fan at all.
Is there a way I can get away with a fanless solution?

I'm not overclocking my cpu since it's great on it's own. AMD Athlon X2 64 6400+, each at 3.2GHz.

when I slow the Northbridge fan down, the SYSTEM temperature goes up in SpeedFan.

Also, I have nothing hidden, the temperatures that you see on the screen cap are every one that is offered to me to view.

i see the hheiber at the top of the post has CORE1, CORE2 & CORE listed... and I only have CORE. Does core relate to my video card? On my CONFIGURE tab, my Core says it relates to the "AMD K8 chip" And what about Core1 & Core2? what are those temperatures related to?

Here's a screencap of my Configure/Temperature List:

jtwLIST.jpg

Also, it only lists my Storage HDD and not my two Western Digital Raptor SATA drives that are RAIDed.

I appreciate you getting back to me Nuke, and I appreciate your advice with this stuff.

Raid drives do not show up....thats normal

I do find it kind of odd that your only showing one core on a dual core system. it does not mater since your temps are excellent.

Since its a new fan and is way over powered for the job, Slowing it down will hurt nothing(i bet its a good 3x more powerful then the first fan),

You could perma mod it to 5 volts. But you have to test and make sure it can start like that. The only fans i have that are 40mms will run on 5 but not start on it(i am proud of my Zalman 7000...can start on 2.5 volts :))....

When you turn it down as far as it goes, is it then quiet enough for you?

EDIT...

Ohh yeah....some video cards show up as core...but it would show in config

speedfanvideoav0.gif

Look its me...folding all day :) I renamed it to gpu it shows as Core by default, but you can see it says its on Nvidia. I also have my 2 raid drives missing...usb drives do not show up either. Since USB and raid devices to not tend to pass on the s.m.a.r.t status

johntwoods

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
after some more detailed research, it looks like it's normal for SpeedFan to only recognize the second Core when it comes to an AMD Dual Core System. i think my "CORE" is my video card since my cpu is marked as CPU on the configure screen. not sure what "AMD K8" is referring to. although on some peoples posts, they say they have ASUS MB's and they show up in SpeedFan as 'AMD K8'. i don't want to complain about a free program, but man, i wish it wasn't so cryptic.

the fan is very fast, yes, and when i turn the percentage down to 51% it is quiet(er)... but it still rattles around and makes noise. it's completely secure in it's place. i even put my fingers on the casing of the fan while it was running, making sure it wasn't moving at all, and it still was making little rattles and such. so it's internal in that little 40mm fan. and i kow it's that fan, cuz when i shut it off, it's completely silent. whatever, maybe i'll get used to it.

i will try the voltage change as well, or i could get one of those dials that came with my Zalman 9500 that turns the fan up or down from a little dial that you attach outside the case. I really really like the Zalman cooler.

yes, try the fanmate2(now on referred to as "The Zalman Speed Thingy") and see how quiet you can get it....but make sure when the computer comes on the fan spins...as i have said some fans do not start on low voltages but will run on it....

As for AMD K8. That is your cpu not video K8 is the name for the athlon64 and K7 was the AthlonXP.

CPU is a board sensor(most likely in the socket) thats is calibrated to be as close to the cpus internal temp as it can.....and from the looks of it....it is....over is always better then under....

if you want to cross reference your temps you can get coretemp

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/CoreTemp.zip

As a last case scenario you can try to get another quieter 40mmfan from scythe...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22361&vpn=SY124010L&manufacture=Scythe
Slow and quiet...

G

Please can you tell me what is it local and remote temperature?
Thanks