Need help! e8400, ga-p35-ds3l

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Hay,

I've just finished building my new system, and with the new e8400, i decided to do some overclocking, I looked around a bit on the internet, and found some guides wich were specificly for my cpu, so great! I looked them over and started tweaking. With a lot of ease I was satisfied when i reached 4,2Ghz, Not the limit, but why go any higher? besides, 4,2 x 2 (because its a dual core:p) equals 8,4=8400mhz = same as the cpu's name:)!. Everything was good, could run orthos stable for 2,5 hours or so, could run it longer, but never tried. (mobo= ga-p35-ds3l, set the vcore to: 1,4500 to acchieve this overclock) temps never got over ~67 degrees per core with my zalman9700led at lowest rpm, the cpu temp never got over ~57/59ish orso.

Everything was okay for a while until I installed cc cleaner and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. shadow of chernobyl simultaneously. after that my system crashed, and it resetted itself to the default of 3ghz, i tried to reset everything in the bios (overclock it again), but it wouldn't let me do so, it just booted over and over with the default 3ghz configuration, so i resetted the bios using cmos reset jumper on the mobo. After that, i could overclock again, but here's the problem, with exactly the SAME bios settings it isn't stable annymore:S I tried using system restore to restore the system to a point before the "STALKER cc cleaner" fiasco, but no succes:S Even at 3600mhz, wich is a "strole in the park" for my processor, it still isn't stable when running orthos :S, I tried raising voltages, its now stable (at least i think) at 3600mhz, using a vcore of 1,4000 But before the fiasco, i didn't even needed to raise the vcore to obtain the 3,6ghz. and another thing, it can't run 5 minutes of orthos @ 4,2ghz after the fiasco, but it CAN run cod4 multiplayer straight without problems for 3 hours or so...

So something's really strange:S, Its not my temps, i've got the latest bios version for my mobo... I just don't get it....Please help me!

I Really need your brains and any help would be great!

Ow, here's the rest of my specs:

e8400 @ Zalman CNPS9700led
Ga-p35-ds3l
8800gts 512mb 777/1940/1080 (only oced when gaming...)
4gb patriot pc6400, 2x2mb (its not the memorry bottlenecking it, don't be fooled by the 2x2gb configuration, these are still good overclockers!)

Thanks in advance!

_AlcaPwn_

_AlcaPwn_

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks for your reply,

But i've found the problem, it's vdrop/vdroop (what's the difference between the two:S?) when i set my vcore in the bios to 1,45volts, under heavy load its reduced to 1,39! And that's just to little for 4,2 ghz, so i upped the vcore in the bios to 1,48, idle it shows 1,456 in cpuz, semi-load it shows 1,440 and full load (orthos) it shows 1,424, and now its stable again! I researched the web and vdrop/vdroop is nothing special with this board, i don't have a bad board, my vdrop/vdroop is actually pretty mild compared to the results i found on internet, people with q6600's have reported a vdrop/vdroop of 0,15 onder full load, whereas mine is "just" 0.032 Anyway, its stil a mistery to me why it first was stable with 1,45 volts in the bios, but i don't care, its stable now, and thats all that matters!

Does anybody know a working volt mod for the ga-p35-ds3l :S?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Vdrop is just the voltage offset from bios to windows, very common.

Vdroop is a voltage droop to prevent the voltage from spiking over the VID set in the bios, which is a good thing. Of course, too much droop is not great, but I don't think it's worth doing a vmod to eliminate droop.