Halp! Memory timings / speed problems...

pepsi_max2k

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Lo all, I'm running a 4200+ X2 on a GA-MA69G-S3H with two sticks of Corsair XMS2 DDR667 4-4-4-12 (2.0v) memory (CM2X1024-5400C4)...

My problem starts with the board defaulting to 1.8v and dropping the timings for the memory, so I've had to try work out what the correct ones are to stick in manually as well as upping the voltage by .2v. This is what I have currently:

mem2.JPG

Now as far as I can tell, that should be correct. But, when I run memtest, it shows these settings when bios shows 667:

mem1.JPG

that is, DDR735 with 4-5-5-18, not what I really wanna be running at (although it would be nice....).

Because of that I dropped it to 533 in bios, which then shows this in memtest:

mem3.JPG

again, both the timings and speed seem to be a litle higher than they should.

Does anyone know what's going on? AFAIK cpu settings are correct and set to auto (200MHz clock, 11 multi).

pepsi_max2k

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
after eventually installing vista, cpu-z did give the correct speed. seems memtest86 was messing up due to the cool&quiet changing the multiplier, which changed the mem divider, which memtest was using correctly but was still calculating it against the original clock speed which then gave the messed up readings.

timings on the other hand are still a bit messed up, presumably a bios related bug as it's seemingly using spd settings regardless of what i put in.

and i'm not actually trying to oc at all, just use the default settings for ram as it doesn't want to get them right... though you're right, it is my first am2 system :) bit slow on the take up, i know... actually it's not even mine, i'm still on my athlon xp at home... :lol: