VM Ware won't install Windows 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

ittiandro

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hi,
I am on Windows 7 Ultimate and I’d like to use an old software made for Windows 95, for which there is no updated version, so I thought to use VMWare and then install Windows 95 through it.
My VMWare version is Workstation 9.0.1.lite, which, from what I understand, has the VM Tools package already integrated to it.
I took care to insert the Windows 95 CD with the virtual machine OFF and then power it ON to install, as directed in the instructions , but unfortunately, VMWare seems to be unable to connect to the CD Rom drive containing the Windows 95 installation CD, because there is a sort of DOS command prompt in the main window telling me that NO OS has been found,
I know that the old Windows 95 required running a boot floppy diskette prior to installing the CD and this, I thought, might be part of the problem. Since I don’t have a floppy drive in my computer, I put the content of the boot diskette on a CD and ran it in VM Ware before inserting the Windows 95 CD. This didn’t work either, so, as a last resort, I converted both CD’s into an ISO image, as suggested by the VM Ware instructions, but it still doesn’t work. Incidentally, the VM Ware can’t even install an OS as recent as Windows XP, which does have the boot disk issue, since everything is integrated in the installation CD, so I think the problem is somewhere else.
Can anybody help, please?
Thank you
Ittiandro

Status
Not open for further replies.