Sign in with
Your question

External hard drive clicking - any suggestions?

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2008 6:45:23 AM

Kind of a weird situation here. My dad had an external hard drive (Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 250GB) that worked with his old computer, but when he got a new computer (XP machine) it didn't work anymore. He said it made a clicking sound "like a horse galloping" and stopped using it. He did not attempt to get any warranty service on it. At this point, I think it's about two years old. Recently, I offered to find out if it could be repaired/replaced. I plugged it into my computer (Vista machine) to see what the problem was and it worked fine, and I was able to access all the data. (Should have pulled it off at that time - oops! :pfff:  ) We ordered a "Y" cable to try to provide it with more power on his computer, and tried it again on his. Still didn't work. Now he's bought a new drive altogether, and asked me to transfer the data from the old drive. Plugged it in tonight, and now I get the galloping horse sound as well! It doesn't show up in My Computer at all, but it was recognized in Device Manager earlier tonight...not anymore. I checked Maxtor's warranty checker and it appears it's past warranty. I emailed them but still waiting on a reply. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this or know what is causing the clicking? At this point my main priority is just to get the data off the drive, IF it's even salvageable. Hopefully without having to take the drive out of the case and attempt to put it in the tower as a secondary drive. Thanks for the help!
a b G Storage
September 9, 2008 3:47:09 PM

The "Galoping Horse" sound is normaly the drive trying to start but not being supplied with enough power, try running it from an external PSU.
September 9, 2008 6:19:43 PM

It is plugged in with a power cord, so it should be getting plenty of power. I did everything exactly as I did when it worked, and get the clicking sound every time I try now. Any other possibilities?
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 9, 2008 7:06:58 PM

The only thing I can think is to check the PSU is working, if it is the only other possability is a faulty drive.
a b G Storage
September 9, 2008 7:26:40 PM

The click of death normally means the drive is done. A data recovery service may be able to recover the data, but they aren't cheap.
September 10, 2008 12:45:49 AM

The power supply is definitely working. Regarding getting the data off: If I can take the drive out of its plastic case, can it be installed into a computer (just temporarily) and accessed that way or is it really done?
September 12, 2008 6:35:04 AM

usualy when a drive does nothing but click its because it cant find the zero spot on the drive platter and without that it cant calibrate and with out that it cant read any data off the platter. Your best bet is keep playing with it and if your lucky you might get it to run long enough to get your data off (i have had luck with that stradigy in the past).
good luck
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 29, 2010 1:30:54 PM

IT HAPPEDN TO MINE WHEN I JUST TRIED TO USE IT ON A DIF COMPUTER AND IT INSTALLED A DRIVE ON MY EXTERNAL HARDRIVE. IT IS FIXABLE. MY FRIEND IS GOING TO OPEN IT UP AND WORK ON IT FOR ME TO GET THE POWER WORKING CORRECTLY,. DONT LISTEN TO THAT GUY THAT DOESNT MEAN ITS DEAD. ITS ONLY DEAD WHEN ITS BURNED OUT. THE LIGHT STILL GOES ON AND EVERTHHNIG SO ITS NOT DEAD. ITS JUST NOT GETTIN ENOUGH POWER THATS ALL CAUSE SOMETHING OVER POWERED IT LIKE A DRIVER LIKE MY DID. I KEEP U POSTED WHEN MY EXTERNAL GETS FIXED. I ALREADY HAD THIS PROB AND HE FIXED IT. TRY DOIN WHAT DUDE SAID AND FIND A DIF PPOWER SOURCE TO UR DRIVE. THEIR A WAY TO POWER IT UP THRU USB AND LOAD IT THRU TWO FEMALES AND ONE MALE. I WOULD TRY THAT FOR NOW AND IF THAT DONT WORK THEN HAVE A FRIEND OR SOEOEN U KNOW OPEN IT UP AND TRY TO FIND OUT THE PROBLEM CUASE IT COULD BE A WIRE OR HE MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE DRIVE AND TOTALLY TAKE IT OUT AND PLUG IT INTO DIF WIRES.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 23, 2011 9:22:01 PM

Hi there,

I know exactly what the problem is and it can be fixed so easily!

My scenario - I took my laptop and hard drive disk round to my friends house, but I left my usual hard drive disk cord at home accidently. I had to use my friends PS3 controller charger wire to use it, and it worked fine. I then got home and put the normal cord into it and it stopped working. The problem was that the Hard Drive Disk had somehow changed it's settings to a different power start up method.

My disk is working fine now, I just have to use my playstation 3 controller wire and it works like a treat!!

Only bit of advice is to back-up your hard drive frequently, even if it means buying another one. You can't go on thinking that it will never break because trust me, they do!

Nick
February 25, 2011 5:28:15 PM

Hey Nick - How do I change it to a different power start up method? Karen

Quote:
Hi there,

I know exactly what the problem is and it can be fixed so easily!

My scenario - I took my laptop and hard drive disk round to my friends house, but I left my usual hard drive disk cord at home accidently. I had to use my friends PS3 controller charger wire to use it, and it worked fine. I then got home and put the normal cord into it and it stopped working. The problem was that the Hard Drive Disk had somehow changed it's settings to a different power start up method.

My disk is working fine now, I just have to use my playstation 3 controller wire and it works like a treat!!

Only bit of advice is to back-up your hard drive frequently, even if it means buying another one. You can't go on thinking that it will never break because trust me, they do!

Nick

June 25, 2011 1:38:39 AM

wow thanks,

thanks to you i dont have to throw mine out (which i was about to)

a big thank you =)))
!