Video Card AGP question

thedu

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
I have a Optiplex GX260 (Dell) Desktop it contains:using a visual check and Evonsoft System Info program

Motherboard: Dell Motherboard not sure about the model have not located that yet on the board

CPU:pentinum 4 2.53Ghz 533mhz clock
Memory:1021mb DDR 400

The program says it has 4 32 bit PCI Slot Available and one 32 bit AGP 4x Slot available

Harddisk: Western Digital 40gb(7200r/m)

Sound integrated: Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio v5.5

Video: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Power Supply: Antec 300w

CD-Rw
3.5 Floppy

Thinking i only had 3 pci slots availabe to me I ordered an: eVGA e-GeForce 6200 Video Card 256mb DDR2 PCI

but when I opened up my case i found that I had an AGP slot, heres a picture: [img=http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7937/dsc01594ti7.th.jpg]
From top to bottom there is a:
AGP 4x
PCI
PCI-X?
PCI
PCI
correct?

so i went and looked around the stores because I would prefer an AGP over an old PCI, and found a PNY GeForce 7600 GS AGP Graphics Card 8x 512mb DDR2 at circuit city on clearance for a good price.

So i was told conflicting views, and I'm hoping somebody can help me clear them up,

Going on the idea that I do have an AGP 4x, can i put that 8x AGP GeForce 7600 card in my computer, I was told I could, but then somebody else told me that you could only put an 8x AGP in a 4x slot if the box said 4x/8x.

or would I be better off just sticking with the PCI Geforce 6200, About the only games I'm looking to play right now on my computer are WOW or Guild Wars, both of which so far have run alright on the intel Intergrated card that is there right now.

I have plans during the summer to build a real nice computer, but I'd like to be able to play some games on this one until then.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
The GeForce7600 will work on your motherboard, albeit at half the throughput of an 8X slot, but even so, would be far superior to the 6200. The PNY web site recommends at least a 300W power supply for the card...dunno how stable your 300W Antec would be over the long haul...so, you may want to upgrade it at some point.

cleeve

Illustrious
All 8x AGP cards will work in a 4x AGP slot.

And yes, if you're gaming, it'll completely destroy the 6200. And might even be overkill for WoW and Guild Wars. :)