Harddrive suddenly uninitialized... now not working

doarules

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hey guys,
I'm having a dilemma with a 200GB WD drive which has some university files i really want to ironically -_- backup, its not to old but i guess it has been well used. I recently got a ide to sata converter so i could use the drive in a computer with no more available IDE ports. It worked for a while then one day i turned the computer on and the drive was not showing up at all, only in the control panel -> admin tools -> comp management -> storage -> disk management. It was showing up as a uninitialized drive and so i tried to initialize it but it wouldn't work.

Then i unhooked another hard drive and used its cable to connect this drive via IDE, there i was able to initialize it which made no difference i still can't access it to get my uni files. I'm thinking the initialize may have been a bad idea as i heard its kind of like a quick format :S Anyway my question is where do i go from here in attempts to get the drive working period and then how do i go about trying to recover my files.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, these files unfortunately mean more to me now then they did a few years ago. I guess its my own fault for not backing up but I've learnt my lesson lol.