Duncan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
Hey Folks,

I play some online games pretty regularly. Specifically Everquest 2, Diablo 2 and Counter-Strike Source. For the past month or so i have been experiencing periodic connection interruptions. Lasting around 5-10 seconds, then it blinks back on and i get the little pop up from my network icon stating LAN is connected. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what might cause this. My connection is through Comcast, with the modem they supply. I'm using a router to connect 2 computers to the network. Router is a Linksys BEFSR41. Router is probably 4-5 years old. If it's recommended to replace the router, any recommendations on brand / model? Thanks a lot for your time, any help is appreciated !

--Duncan.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I had that router before I bought for over $200 when DSL debuted. Over the years, the router couldn't keep up with traffic to the point it kept disconnecting me. I've gone with DLINK. DIR-625 to be exact. No disconnects. Only from my ISP (stupid trick to throttling my download - now I use encryption & proxy & optimization - so far so good - any speed I want, but I like to fly under the radar).

I suggest you try disconnecting the router and connecting a pc directly to the modem and installing comcast's software. If you still get the same symptom, it may be Comast's throttling that misinterprets your traffic as p2p. Otherwise, get a new router.

byblyk

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
You're not using wireless, right? It sounds like your loseing your link state with the switch built into your router. This would be caused by a malfunctioning router(or swotchport on the router) and not comcast; Comcast traffic shapeing would not effect your LAN connections.

Just my 2 cents

Duncan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004

That is correct. Linksys BEFSR41 Wired Cable / DSL Router.

Thanks for the reply folks. I've read up a bit, and seems the general consensus is that Linksys routers tend to fail. D-Link seems to have a pretty good rep, so i may give them a shot after giving a run through Aus' suggestion. Thanks a lot !