suggestion with overclocking

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Hello and thanks for the help

I was not sure what to put this under so I left it in general if there is a better place for this that please move it or tell me where to move the post

I am new to overclocking so I may need some clarifications stuff.

I have a q6600, a msi p7n platinum board and ocz 1000mhz ram timing 5-5-5-13 i believe

my core voltage is 1.248 for memory all others are at stock right now

my problem is I have successfully overclocked it the proc to 2.7 ghz but when i try to increase the fsb to 1200 or above the computer does not post and just sits there with a black screen and I must reset the cmos by removing the battery. I am sort of stuff as to how to overclock it more. My bios is version 1.1. The memory is manually set to 800mhz i found even though that the ram is rated for 1000mhz the system would go unstable when i tried to increase the ram speed anywhere above that. Thanks for the help in advance.

My goal for the q6600 is 3ghz but any more improvement would be great

If i forgot post something that would help you solve my problem please post so I can try to answer it.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
You need to increase vcore. 1.248 is not enough. You should run at the lowest possible vcore that still provides stability, but anything 1.5 and below should be fine for Q6600. Also, underclock your ram while ocing cpu, to rule it out as possible source of instability.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Don't set anything on auto. It's a bad idea. :na:

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
unfortunetly there is no auto option on for the voltages and auto for the core disables overclocking I will trying a higher voltage though thanks for the info