got bad symtoms from my new computer help

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hi
this computer is about new. when i play games, i hear small strange sound from the computer(blizzzzzzzz) i opened the case and checked and it wasnt the fan, i noticed that when the cpu usage go over about 50%, i hear that sound. so my conclusion was the cpu. my old pc, had same problem, when the cpu is working, when i work on videon convert, it sounded like little small bip bip bip.
what is wrong with it??
my new computer didnt do this last week...
cpu temp is only 38C at 100% doesnt go higher than that

please help

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
no one??
can i ask you to hear it on your computer too??
put all fans at lowest speed, play game that uses cpu alot and hear your tower...
it is blizzzzz or bip bip bip bip. the pattern is very fast and very quiet

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
If you can hear the gates opening and closing on your CPU then you have phenomenal hearing. It sounds like your hard drive you're hearing.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
it sounds LIKE hdd. you mean??
but for me it is not quiet sounds like hdd, it doesnt matters, so do you have a solution for that?? or is it normal?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It may be possible that you are hearing the noise from the speaker connected to your mobo header. Try disconnecting it temporarily to see if you hear the noise. Or it could be the voltage regulators on the mobo when they are under load.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That would easily be checked by stopping the fan momentarily, with your finger, and see if the noise stops.

OUCH! Hehehehe! I'd go with unplugging the speakers and trying the finger thingy!!! Next suspect might be the HDD, but I'm betting the bearing/bushing on the HSF is possibly making the noise as it's spinning up to the higher speeds. If that is the case, the "finger" trick will isolate that issue.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I had a Vantec Tornado that I was using as a CPU fan on a Northwood.
God help you if your fingers got in the way. :cry:
I stripped the build and kept the Tornado, I was considering building a hovercraft. :lol:

Edit: I hear a lot of whining about noise, let me tell you that thing literally sounded like a jet engine.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
so here is my answer for all of you guys. i turned all fans off with my controller, including cpu, still hears it. and i tested it with speaker tooken off. so here are my 2 guesses. mobo amping up as i play game and the other one is the cpu

and "Zorg" what do you mean by underload??
is it bad??

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Under load means when you are playing games etc. and putting a power load on the mobo. It's not bad just a condition that exists when you are using the CPU/VGA/mobo heavily. I suspect the voltage regulators on the mobo. Let us know when you find out.

Edit: You might try touching the capacitors heatsinks etc. on the voltage regulator portion of the mobo to see if you can get any changes out of the noise. Don't forget to take off any jewelry.

2nd that idea. Maybe the fan is creating this noise. Did you check the fan on the PSU?

Edit: You might try touching the capacitors heatsinks etc. on the voltage regulator portion of the mobo to see if you can get any changes out of the noise. Don't forget to take off any jewelry.
Just be careful because they might be quite warm if not hot and you could burn yourself pretty quickly.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
He said it was on the mobo, but worth a check. It might also be the VGA squealing.

Good point, maybe use a pencil or something else that is non-conductive.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If it doesn't change at least once a month then I think something is wrong. Reply buttons are still missing from the PM section, it's a real pain in the posterior.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
my psu is a new. and yeah i checked psu, and not that. and the sound doesnt seems like its from the fan, i opened the case, i tried to hear that sound in all parts of the case and if was from around the cpu, and there is voltage capacitor next to it. dont know which.
and do you mean to touch the voltage capacitor with finger??(is it the round looking thing that has thick wires??)
im scared

The old Vantec Tornado! I have one too. I can't believe that at one time I was willing to hear that constant racket in exchange for a few extra megahertz. As if 305 MHZ was that much better than 300.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I was talking about all of the capacitors and inductors (coils) in the area of the voltage regulator circuitry. It's actually more likely that a coil is causing the squeal. You won't get shocked, just take off any metal jewelry on your hands. As lunyone pointed some of the components can get hot so be careful. Touch them briefly first to see how hot they are. You may want to use the eraser side of a pencil so you don't burn your finger. Don't push too hard just lightly you might find the coil, or capacitor that is vibrating/squealing. If you localize it to the mobo you will need to return the mobo as defective. There is no easy way to fix it, unless you are handy with a soldering iron and can get a suitable replacement component, which doesn't sound like the case.

danmarhk

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I don't know this physical phenomenon before...
After years of experience using computers, I know nothing about electronics... @@