/ Sign-up
Your question

Can't get the heat sink/Fan off CPU-Socket A-AMD

  • CPUs
  • Heat
  • Fan
Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2007 1:44:04 AM

I have an old computer I am using to build up my upgrading skills..I was trying to get the heat sink/fan off of the processor so I could take a look at it..I could not figure it out regardless of what I did..I looked for s screw or some sort of contraption that was holding it on there..NADA...I took the best pic I could of it..can anyone give me an inkling as to what I am doing wrong??? it is an Athlon XP 2800 processor-I am not going to upgrade it-just going to take a look at it and then put the thing back..I don't want to break anything by being rough..

The PC is an a320n
Here is a link to the motherboard/specs..It is a socket A

More about : heat sink fan cpu socket amd

December 6, 2007 3:58:37 AM

warm it up
if its stil stuck - tap on it -twist it hard

the old amd thermal compound ages and dries to a polymer like concrete glue
December 6, 2007 3:59:26 AM

o ya

turn off the fan and get it nice and hot! it be fine! check the temps in bios
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2007 4:31:51 AM

Burn baby! Burn! Heheehehe, jk. Yeah disconnect fan and turn the system on. That way the CPU will heat up. Not sure if your system monitors the CPU temps, but if you only do it for a short period of time than you can at least warm up the paste and possibly move the HSF to remove it.
December 6, 2007 4:46:09 AM

Socket A heatsinks can be tricky. It's held on to the motherboard by a spring loaded bracket that clips to the motherboard. There should be a slot on one side of the bracket where you can fit a flat head screwdriver. Firmly but carefully push down with the screwdriver on the clip and push / twist away from the heatsink. This will unhook the bracket from the three tabs on the motherboard mount. To remount the heatsink, just do the reverse. Just be sure to apply even pressure so you don't break the cpu die. gl
December 6, 2007 8:52:48 AM

Don't forget to replace the thermal compound with new when you replace the heat sink.