Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dimension 2400 Drivers?

Last response: in Windows XP
April 27, 2010 6:35:28 AM

Hey guys,
I inherited a computer so I figured I'd reformat it and re-install XP Pro. Since doing this I realized I don't have any driver disks, and that XP didn't even have an ethernet driver for the computer so I can't use the internet to get them. How would you all recommend I get the drivers? I found this website but I don't know what to do with them once their downloaded on my second machine? What route would you all go? I was thinking I could throw the .bin file for the ethernet driver on a flash drive from my other machine, then get the internet working on the dell and use it to download the rest as I see necessary. Which are really necessary to get? Just like ethernet, video, sound?

Also how do I go about installing the drivers I download? Do I just double click the .bin file and it'll open the appropriate application or do I have to go into the device manager and point to the .bin file? I have some experience with doing this, but not enough to remember how to do it. It'd be nice to have a brief summary or a step by step walkthrough. I remember it being quite simple though.

Thanks a ton guys!

More about : dimension 2400 drivers

a b \ Driver
April 27, 2010 4:18:54 PM

Installing driver's shouldn't be difficult for any PC user.
Just move the install files (of the drivers) to the Dell PC, extract (if they archived in RAR/ZIP file) and install them.

If you need more detailed explanation - just say and I'll help as much as I can.
Score
Related resources
a b \ Driver
April 27, 2010 4:35:36 PM

He said that his already got the drivers from dell website, he just don't know what to do with them / how to install them.
Score
April 27, 2010 8:17:06 PM

Alright thanks guys, that was rediculously easy. I shouldn't have even wasted the server space on that post lol.

Now that I've got the Network Driver up and running, is there a Windows utility or some free application I can use to update ALL my drivers at once? Or do I have to manually download each one off the website? I feel like I remember using the device manager and seeing a yellow exclamation point on a device that needs a driver update. Sorry, it's been like 6 months since I've used windows.

In the event that I must download them manually and individually off the website, is there a few that are critical that I can download, and leave the rest alone? Or would you recommend downloading all of them?
Score
a b \ Driver
April 27, 2010 8:25:49 PM

You should download them manually. Most of those 3rd party driver managers are shotty. Download the most recent drivers, for the hardware that you have.

If you have a conflict in the device manager (yellow !), you can download that specific driver.
Score

Best solution

a b \ Driver
April 27, 2010 8:30:52 PM

Updates to drivers usually only fix minor glitches in the driver. Having the latest and greatest driver is not always necessary. I'd follow the old maxim: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And, never install a driver under beta test.

If you want to pay for the service, give this a read...
http://www.pcdriverupdate.com/

EDIT: I agree with aford10 about the third party driver managers, but I provided the link so you could make up your own mind.
a b \ Driver
January 27, 2012 7:59:24 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a b \ Driver
January 27, 2012 7:59:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!