Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My Computer Turns On For 3 Seconds, Then Shuts Off

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2007 3:17:36 AM

My Computer Specs are the Follow:
Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream (700W) OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V
Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-PIN DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
Video: eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB

When I turn on the computer, it turns on for 3 seconds then it shuts down automatically. I don't have a chance to see anything on the screen. This morning the computer turned on just fine, and it shut down just fine. I never had a hardware problem. The computer is brand new, I built it this year in May.

No sound happens during this 3 second period. All fans turn on just fine, even the power supply one.

I troubleshot by disconnecting just about everything from the power supply like hard drive, cd-rom, video card.

Is there anything else I can do before taking the power supply and test it in another computer? I posted on this forum because I think the power supply is the problem, it could be the motherboard also I suppose.
Thanks in advance ^^
December 6, 2007 3:30:59 AM

Try removing the case power switch and CAREFULLY shorting the pins on the mobo header, that will rule out a bad switch. You could have a short somewhere that reared it's ugly head. Try building a minimum system on a piece of cardboard. If you have access to a PSU it would be easier to swap the psu to test.

Edit: If you are going to swap PSUs, don't test yours in another computer, test another one in your computer.
December 6, 2007 3:32:16 AM

are you overclocking?
Related resources
December 6, 2007 3:35:07 AM

last time this happened to me it was a bad cpu
December 6, 2007 4:05:56 AM

I am not overclocking,

That shorting the pins thing sounds kinda scary, I think I'll test my PSU elsewhere or get a PSU from someone and test it on mine computer.

Thanks for the replies, I would reply once I know what the problem was for future reference.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2007 4:29:01 AM

I second what Zorg offered. Test your system with another PSU (borrowed or whatever) and if that doesn't change anything, than I'd pull your stuff out of the case and test it on a piece of cardboard. This will rule out any possible shorts that your getting from the case.
December 7, 2007 1:28:00 AM

ok, I grabbed another PSU (300W) and it worked. What if that PSU doesn't have the technology that detects a short?

December 7, 2007 2:23:03 AM

It should, its probably a bad PSU. Try putting it in another computer to test it, or get a PSU tester.

Edit: Or just send it back.
December 8, 2007 5:07:00 AM

I don't get it.

When I said that I tried another PSU and the computer turned on just fine, I tried it with the other PSU outside the case, that's how it turned on. But when I put it inside, it shut off after 3 seconds just like the other one.

I just put the motherboard naked on a cardboard, same with the 1st PSU on a cardboard. It shuts off after 3 seconds with boths PSU's. The way I turned on was with the cables from the case connected to the motherboard, I don't know other methods.

Please help me, why the computer turned on that one time? What is causing it?

I guess I can't overuled a short since I still grabbed the cables from the case and connected it to the motherboard then I turned it on like I normally do. The case looks fine.

I am gonna take pictures and post it.
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2007 5:38:26 AM

Sounds like you have a short on one of your connections, probably the power button or the reset button on the mobo. You might want to double check them and see if they are shorting out. It's possible that you might've plugged them in wrong on the mobo and thus you get the short. Just double check all of your connections that go to the front panel.
December 8, 2007 6:12:22 AM

I just did, I double checked with the manual and everything. Could the short be coming from the case?

The only thing I have connected is the power supply (of course), the CPU, and the Front Panel Connectors, thats it. Both fans (PSU, CPU) turn on for 3 seconds.

December 8, 2007 8:00:31 AM

You missed one of the reasons for building outside of the case, which is removing all connections to the case. remove all case connections and short the power switch pins with a paper clip or screw driver as I said earlier. there is no real power on those pins it's just ground sensing. It's not dangerous, just touch the two pins together momentarily. If the mobo still resets with both PSUs, then remove the VGA to rule it out. It should beep but stay on. If not try removing the RAM, same thing. Post the results.

a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2007 8:03:38 AM

Yes you could be having a short from the case. I'd look at your front panel wires and where they are going. You might have an internal short from your power or reset button. Pull them off the mobo and do what Zorg suggested with regards to shorting the connections.
December 8, 2007 12:18:52 PM

Zorg, what about insulating the mainboard from the surroundings, say with some rubber plates fixed on the screws??
Can I skip the step of removing all the connections without bicho33's problem?
I know that I ought to follow the instructions, but I am curious about the effect of the insulation recommended by my friend.
December 8, 2007 4:26:43 PM

Hey Zorg, you are gonna have to be more specific, english is my 2nd language.

Let me see if I understood what you said:
Take all connections that are coming from the case out of the motherboard. Use the screwdriver to turn on the computer by touching the pins that are suppose to be coming from the case cables, right?

Do I do this while the PSU is on? The intention here is to turn on the computer without using the case cables to ruled out a short coming from the case, right?

I am scared of electricity. I get shocked every time I open any car's door.
December 8, 2007 6:18:03 PM

Is this bad?

When I built the computer it came out with 3 standoff screws, I put those on the third column because the third column looked lowered. The rest are just normal screws from the motherboard to the case. I didn't use anything else.
So, 9 holes, 3 were standoff on the third column, 1st and 2nd column are normal screws that came with the motherboard.
December 8, 2007 7:40:36 PM

bicho83 said:
Hey Zorg, you are gonna have to be more specific, english is my 2nd language.

Let me see if I understood what you said:
Take all connections that are coming from the case out of the motherboard. Use the screwdriver to turn on the computer by touching the pins that are suppose to be coming from the case cables, right?

Do I do this while the PSU is on? The intention here is to turn on the computer without using the case cables to ruled out a short coming from the case, right?

I am scared of electricity. I get shocked every time I open any car's door.
You can't get shocked from 12V. Yes, remove all of the connectors from the case and temporarily short only the 2 pins that go to the power button. Check the manual for the correct pins. Obviously the switch on the back of the PSU would have to be turned on, if it's not then you will never be able to power the mobo.
bicho83 said:
Is this bad?

]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3910/003902wn3.th.jpg

When I built the computer it came out with 3 standoff screws, I put those on the third column because the third column looked lowered. The rest are just normal screws from the motherboard to the case. I didn't use anything else.
So, 9 holes, 3 were standoff on the third column, 1st and 2nd column are normal screws that came with the motherboard.
I can't see what is going on in that picture. I don't know of any mobos that would use standoffs for some screws and not others. Give me a link to the case and let me check it out.
December 8, 2007 7:46:11 PM

danmarhk said:
Zorg, what about insulating the mainboard from the surroundings, say with some rubber plates fixed on the screws??
Can I skip the step of removing all the connections without bicho33's problem?
I know that I ought to follow the instructions, but I am curious about the effect of the insulation recommended by my friend.
Do you have a shorting problem, or do you just want to be extra careful? If so what are your symptoms? If you are using standoffs you don't need any plastic washers (plates).
December 8, 2007 8:20:34 PM

Ok, I finally did it. The computer turns on and shuts down after 3 seconds when I touch the mobo headers with the screwdriver. This time I tried without a memory stick and without video card. I tried with 2 PSU's.

This probably means that the motherboard is dead and that I need to replaced it?

The fact that I only used 3 standoff screws might've something to do with it.
December 9, 2007 3:12:52 AM

bicho83 said:
Ok, I finally did it. The computer turns on and shuts down after 3 seconds when I touch the mobo headers with the screwdriver. This time I tried without a memory stick and without video card. I tried with 2 PSU's.

This probably means that the motherboard is dead and that I need to replaced it?

The fact that I only used 3 standoff screws might've something to do with it.
Is this in the case or on a piece of cardboard? If that is in the case then take it out and try on cardboard. I haven't looked at your case yet let me do that. If it doesn't run on the cardboard with the case completely disconnected then it could have been damaged from shorting to the case, or just died on it's own. It's also possible that it is the CPU.
December 9, 2007 3:36:04 AM

That case has bumps so you don't need standoffs on them. If you used them the mobo wouldn't line up with the back of the case, obviously. I'm assuming they included the standoffs, for the right side of the mobo, so they are probably the right size, and you would need them. If you didn't use them, then the right side of the mobo would not be secure.

I'm assuming that you checked the heatsink to be sure that it was contacting the CPU, so that it's not overheating.
December 9, 2007 3:50:16 AM

Since it turned on while on the cardboard, I'm guessing the motherboard is shorting with the case.
December 9, 2007 5:43:30 AM

That would be make sense. It has been hard to follow you. Something is definitely shorting. Did you plug everything in on the cardboard and get to the BIOS? If so then you need to find out what is shorting. theck everywhere for what is touching. then start going for less likely things. Tape over the bump outs with electrical tape and poke a hole in it, etc. first make sure the headers were connected properly. make sure it's not a shorted case USB connector etc. You tried to boot in the case with no headers connected and shorting the power pins and it didn't boot, so none of the case USBs etc. should come into play. There has to be a short somewhere you just have to find it.
December 9, 2007 7:27:24 AM

Sorry it's been so hard to follow me, I got intimidated with the whole shorting thing.

Yes, I used 3 standoff screws on the right side to align the motherboard and to secure all 9 holes.
Why something would be shorting? I did all this tests on a cardboard, as shown in the picture above. With just PSU and CPU. No hard drive, no video card, no sound card, no memory, no connectors coming from the case. After 3 seconds the machine shuts down automatically, then I have to turn the PSU switch to 0, wait, then turn it back on to test again.

I would take a look at the heatsink tomorrow and post results, but like I said, the computer just stopped turning on one day after 7 months of operation, it shouldn't have moved, but I'll check it anyway. Again, I did all this on a cardboard, like the picture I posted above.

I am thinking of posting a video now, lol.
Sorry, I think I confused all of you :( 
December 9, 2007 9:42:44 AM

Even though there are other possibilites, a bad motherboard seems to jump out at me. I think that may be the problem, still make sure the heatsink is in full contact with your cpu first though.
December 9, 2007 2:47:19 PM

I confused jbj190's post with yours.

If it does not boot outside of the case on cardboard, with two different PSUs, then it is either mobo or CPU. Make sure HS is attached good. I don't know about yours but some mobos look to ensure that CPU fan is spinning or they shut down, so it might even be a bad cpu fan. Try plugging another Case fan into the cpu header temporarily to trick the mobo. If it boots don't leave it running too long with the fan on the HS not spinning. Other than that, my best guess is that it's either CPU or mobo, most likely mobo. Maybe someone else has an idea.
December 9, 2007 3:38:29 PM

this problem is typical of having a heatsink not sitting on the cpu properly
December 9, 2007 4:07:37 PM

He's going to check that.
December 9, 2007 4:25:45 PM

bicho83:

I had the same problem with an M2N-SLI. Turned out to be a bad BIOS chip.
December 9, 2007 4:39:28 PM

I checked the heatsink, it looks fine to me. The fan spins like I mention before.

I am gonna have to go to a PC repair shop and spend 300$, I haven't overruled the CPU or Mobo. I don't have another mobo or CPU or heatsink to test.
December 9, 2007 5:42:31 PM

It might be cheaper to just get a new mobo.

He!!, it might be cheaper to get a new mobo and CPU.
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2007 11:34:53 PM

The only $300 I'm going to spend at a PC shop is on new stuff!
December 11, 2007 3:24:02 AM

Me too,

Updated Info:

Today I put the computer back together in the case, now I heard a 5 second (hight) beep then it shuts off. According to this site: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm it means that the CPU is damaged or is not seating properly.

Why would it move in the first place, since I haven't touch the inside in a long time? Why the sound now and not when it first occurred?
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2007 5:35:10 AM

Maybe the heat caused a gap somewhere between the HSF and the CPU and is now making that noise. Don't know for sure?
December 12, 2007 5:02:23 AM

bicho83 said:
Me too,

Updated Info:

Today I put the computer back together in the case, now I heard a 5 second (hight) beep then it shuts off. According to this site: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm it means that the CPU is damaged or is not seating properly.

Why would it move in the first place, since I haven't touch the inside in a long time? Why the sound now and not when it first occurred?
What I saw was
Quote:
Repeating High/Low CPU
Thats not a long high beep that's a high and low beeps.
December 16, 2007 3:08:24 AM

More Updated Info:

Today I took the heatsink out and the CPU to see, I put new thermal grease (Artic Silver 5), and put it back. I noticed that when I put it back I forgot to do the last step, which was to fully secure the heatsink into the motherboard the first time I installed it (8 months ago or so). This time I did, but still shuts down after 5 seconds. Also, when I took the heatsink, the CPU came with it, this means that the heatsink was making contact with the CPU all the time, it was super stuck. I used dental floss to detach it, clean it, put new thermal paste.

Also, i uploaded this video in youtube so that everyone can see and most importantly, heard the sound. Its a high sound for 4 seconds, then it goes off smoothly. What kind of a beep sound is it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0iC8Mbvypw
The video came out horrible, it cut half the seconds (18s) and it doesn't show when it shuts off. Anyway, you can hear the sound, now imagine that sound thats goes off smoothly after 4 seconds.

According to the manual of my motherboard: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=116... I have an Award Bios. Based on the beep sounds recorded on the site above, is suppose to be the CPU, but maybe I misunderstood the sound beep for another one.
December 16, 2007 3:56:38 AM

Crapy video but Im pretty sure I see a 4 pin CPU connector just hanging there and it should be plugged in.
December 16, 2007 4:18:15 AM

bicho83 said:
I just did, I double checked with the manual and everything. Could the short be coming from the case?

The only thing I have connected is the power supply (of course), the CPU, and the Front Panel Connectors, thats it. Both fans (PSU, CPU) turn on for 3 seconds.

]http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/649/mypcrc2.th.jpg

In your picture that you posted here. It looks like the 2 x 2 power connector to the CPU Vregs is not plugged in.

Make sure that the standard 2 x 12 power connector is plugged in and the 2 x 2 power connector is too.
December 16, 2007 4:58:10 AM

The PSU has 2 of those, one is connected, the other one is not.

I am gonna try a better video.
December 16, 2007 5:02:53 AM

**repeated**
deleted...
December 16, 2007 6:39:13 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
maybe one is bad try the other.

Please, read the whole thread.
December 16, 2007 7:06:24 AM

You are getting a lot of good help and advice here. One thing I might add: Whether your components are all mounted inside the case, or if you have your components sitting outside of the case, connected together but sitting on a cardboard sheet or some other insulator, always touch the metal case of the power supply before touching any of the other components. This will dissipate any dangerous static charge you might have built up. The power cord will need to be plugged into a properly grounded outlet for this to work. One small static zap to your mobo, CPU, or any other sensitive electronic item and it can become trash - instantly.

Regards,

Altazi
December 16, 2007 12:08:50 PM

bicho83 said:
Please, read the whole thread.

Maybe I need to read a third time, but I dont see no where where you said you tried both 4 pin connectors to rule it out.
December 17, 2007 2:34:36 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
Maybe I need to read a third time, but I dont see no where where you said you tried both 4 pin connectors to rule it out.

I mention that I tried with another PSU, same results.

I uploaded the sound to a server, I doubt this would help but: http://67.15.157.9/~clanleal/computer_beep.mp3
I am trying to identify the sound of my BIOS chip

Please, help me identify the sound.
I have an ASUS M2N-Sli Deluxe, Award Bios Chip (according to the site).
December 17, 2007 2:53:51 AM

Dunno about the sound, but this issue is very common with the GA P35C DS3R. Most believe it's the mobo's fault, however I believe it's the ram...I think...I hope... Since I have the GA P35C mobo, I seriously hope this doesn't happen to me.

Anyways try changing around the ram with different ones if possible, maybe your ram doesn't like the mobo.
December 17, 2007 3:07:25 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Dunno about the sound, but this issue is very common with the GA P35C DS3R. Most believe it's the mobo's fault, however I believe it's the ram...I think...I hope... Since I have the GA P35C mobo, I seriously hope this doesn't happen to me.

Anyways try changing around the ram with different ones if possible, maybe your ram doesn't like the mobo.

My Motherboard Box has the RAM model that I am using on it: http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2006/08/14/nf570/...
It says "Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Ready"
I've been using it for the past 8 months, I have tried switching my RAM with the other one separately.

Please, someone help me identify the BIOS beep sound of my Award Chip: http://67.15.157.9/~clanleal/computer_beep.mp3
December 17, 2007 4:00:06 AM

Well I researched it and that sounds like 1 long beep to me. 1 long beep means memory trouble.
August 20, 2008 11:56:19 AM

RE : My Computer Turns On For 3 Seconds, Then Shuts Off !!

This may help someone reading this thread.

I had this problem in the last few days after a newly built high end graphics computer, and on first power-on it shuts down 3 seconds later.

Double checked all connections without sucess.

After reading this thread, I worked my way changing PSU, heatsink, PCI cards, HD and the CPU - NO LUCK it still shuts down.

I have noticed that after it shuts down - and with power off from the mains plug - but as I plug it back to power from the mains, it powred on its own and shuts down again.

This, in my case, lead me to the CULPRIT, the new tower case front
ON-OFF button (back spring) was sticking on - ON - !!

So its worth checking it first, even if its a new case.

!