What is this for on my Motherboard?

Hi there, I have been trying to find out what this specific plug on my motherboard is for. If you look on the picture of the board from the left is the 3 pci slot, then the 3 PCIe slots, a little yellow then next to that it what Im curious about. Does anybody know what this is for? It looks like I could plug a power plug into it, but dont want to try.

Thanks for any help

9 answers Last reply
More about what motherboard
  1. It's a molex connector, you need to plug it when you have 2 graphics card or a 20 pin ATX power connector rather than 24 pin.
  2. oh ok. I currently have a 20pin ATX power connector, should it be connected? Thanks for your help
  3. forget what I said...
  4. FriedFrog said:
    oh ok. I currently have a 20pin ATX power connector, should it be connected? Thanks for your help

yep you should connect it. I think your manual describe it. Maybe you need to read it again thoroughly.
  5. I had a look through the manual again, but no mention of what this is for. I went ahead and plugged it in anyway. I dont seem to see any change or difference to performance.

Anyways
    Thanks for your help
  6. Its only when you use SLI or have a high end crd like a 8800GTX, I do believe your motherboard supports SLI (2x Green PCIe x16 slots?)
  7. Yep. It's to supply extra power to your PCIe video card, especially power hungry cards.
    You should go ahead and connect it, it may not make a noticable difference at all, but sure can't hurt.
  8. You won't notice performance increase, but it gives stable voltages.
  9. Thanks guys for your help, I really appreciate it. I have a 7600gs only a mid range card, and only running one.

But cool now I at least know what that is for.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards PCI