Sign in with
Your question

8800GT: Standard GPU Temps?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2007 1:55:55 PM

Hi,

I just got my 8800GT yesterday & I want to give it a few days to settle in before I start my OCing tests. However, the first thing I noticed when swapping out my [eVGA] 7900GT KO (580/1580MHz) for my new [eVGA] 8800GT Stock (bulk, actually...) was that the fan's RPM doesn't noticably change when going from 2D to 3D apps like the 7900GT did.

Using nVidia-nTune's Monitor app, I noted that the fan is automatically at 29% when the system's idle. If I manually go to 50% or higher, it's easy to hear the fan (@100% it sounds like a jet engine, lol).

So I'm quite nervous about the fact that while playing Crysis @1680x1050 (w/everything on high) that I don't hear the fan's whine... :sweat: 

I noticed in another thread someone posted their 8800GT's idle temp:
gscrugg2 said:
Mine idles @ 47, but i increased the fan speed to 45% as opposed to the 29 or w/e it started on.

Furthermore, the GPU'S idle temps, as reported by nVidia's Monitor app, are substantially higher than the figures you lads are quoting here. My 7900GT was idling at around 60C, and the 880GT idles even higher at 66C... .

nVidia's Monitor app also has the ability to log temps (as well as core/memory speeds and CPU, Memory & HDD utilization, etc.) to a file. So I logged a 3DMark06 run with both GPUs and the 7900GT hit 98C and the 8800GT maxed out at 91C.

There's an indication that the fan is speeding up a little, though, 'cause the temps always shortly peak immediately after I stop a benchmark. This suggests that the fan is immediately lowered to that 29% (although the GPU is still hot).

Looong story short, do you guys note a difference in the fan's speed (i.e. hear the difference) as soon as you shift into 3D?

btw, I logged temps during normal gaming and reached the amazing temp of 104C with my 7900GT (nope, not kidding) - and, before you gasp, I've been gaming for over a year at approx. the same temp without so much a blue screen or artifacting. Playing Crysis last night for two hours, the 8800GT didn't break past a peak of 94C which again, makes me think that the fan RPM does increase, just not by any "audiable" amount.

Here's a sample of the log:

Current Time/ Gpu core(3D)(MHz)/ GPU memory(MHz)/ GPU1(ºC)/ CPU(%)/ Disk(%)/ Network(%)/ Memory(%):
2007/12/4 23:25:56 601.0 900.0 74 5 % 45 % 0 % 19 %
2007/12/4 23:35:36 601.0 900.0 94 72 % 0 % 0 % 63 %

As you can tell by the timestamps, I pasted a pre-gaming and in-gaming sample.

Specs are in my sig. Case is a Thermaltake Armor which houses 2x120mm and 2x90mm fans. An external probe inserted into the 8800GT's HSF exhaust opening recorded 49.5C idle and 62C during 3DMark06 (peak). Ambient room temp during all above measurements was 21-22C.
December 5, 2007 2:30:09 PM

From EVGA Forums:

We have released a new BIOS for the 8800GT SC (N802) that makes some slight adjustments to the fanspeed autosensor.

Basically the fanspeed just ramps up quicker, the KO and SSC versions will be posted early next week.

Also, all new EVGA shipping boards will have this change in place, we have this posted for those of you with existing cards. You can find this BIOS on the EVGA downloads page, or below.

This BIOS is ONLY for those who wish their fanspeed to spin up quicker, there are no other changes.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=176929&mpage=1&key=...

I personally use rivatuner to automate the fan speeds. Just google for a tutorial on it.
December 5, 2007 4:38:53 PM

Hey man I own an eVGA 8800GT Superclocked myself and the idle temperature was ridiculous. I was getting 60 idle and over 80 underload. So I went and bought/installed Arctic Cooling Accelero S1, Turbo Module and some extra heatsink for the memory and the voltage capacitators (on far right of the card) and now my idle is at 42 degrees after hours and in the low 50's when playing games like Crysis, low 50's as in 52-54 :)  You should definitely look into buy an aftermarket cooler such as AC Accelero S1. Or you can simply download Riva Tuner and manually change the fan speed to like 60 or something if you don't mind the noise. But even so the idling and loading temp of the 8800GT still won't drop due to the cheap heatsink that nVidia slaps on this monster.
Related resources
December 5, 2007 5:14:42 PM

Thats one thing I didnt like about the GT's. My 3870 is OC'ed with a Duorb cooler and It has never gone about 50c Load. 30c Idle. Thats 15c cooler under load than the GT's idle! And the 3870 will perform just as well as a GT if you OC it. However, yes you can OC a GT too. But with stock temps that hight would you really want to?
December 5, 2007 5:31:19 PM

60c idle is fine. Mine idles around 57c with the fan speed set to 40% normal. I have it spin up to 60% when it hits 67c and 80% when it hits 77c. But i have yet to ever see my temps hit above 73c even during load. Then again, i am getting crashes and crap with the card. I am getting it replaced but I am having a replacement sent out to me and sending this card back when I get it. That way im not out of a computer for the time its shipping there, processing, and shipping back the new card. If anyone is getting problems, i suggest you take this route.
December 5, 2007 6:07:30 PM

Why haven't you guys got Riva Tuner and set your fan speed to 100% all of the time like how my 8800GTX is set-up? I will agree that the 8800GT's cooling solution is not good enough if you want to have it last. I'm going to get the Thermalright's cooler for the 8800's, the HR-03 is a champ.
December 5, 2007 6:40:20 PM

systemlord said:
Why haven't you guys got Riva Tuner and set your fan speed to 100% all of the time like how my 8800GTX is set-up? I will agree that the 8800GT's cooling solution is not good enough if you want to have it last. I'm going to get the Thermalright's cooler for the 8800's, the HR-03 is a champ.

Because the 8800gt's fan at 100% is probably louder than a jet engine
December 5, 2007 7:23:52 PM

I do have my rivatuner set up for different fan speed profiles. Even with the fan at 100% i cant hear it with my headphones on in the middle of a firefight in TF2 or CoD4
December 5, 2007 8:40:04 PM

1.Use RivaTuner
stock cooler @ 60% had 78c load
2.Get an aftermarket cooler
I use a VF-900
idle 40c
load 57c
3.eVGA only-has bios update
4.Get a newer one with a re-designed reference cooler
http://en.expreview.com/?p=78#more-78
December 6, 2007 10:40:55 AM

Hi & thx to all for the excellent tips & advice :D 

I will give RivaTuner a try so that I can set up ranges of temps vs. fan speed which sounds like the best bet. I don't like the risk of updating eVGA's firmware only to find out that the card's fan may have been set to too high of a default.

As for getting one of the "new" reference models: 8800GTs may be growing on trees in your neck of the woods m8, but here in the "Vienna Woods", 8800GTs are very hard to come by! My preferred local PC equip. vendor got a shipment of over 80 "bulk" eVGA 8800GTs and - I $hit you not - they sold all 80 in a matter of one day. And they were the only vendor to even have 8800GTs in stock! I'm sure things will change come Jan. - Feb. but heck, I've got to get as much eyecandy out of Crysis now, lol ;) 

What I did do in the limited time I had last night was to up the rpm from the default 29% to 46%, which was still inaudible, but brought the GPU down a bit (59C or so). When I went to 47-48%, the fan made a noticable low-freq. droning which, while not an issue during a gaming session, wouldn't be cool during other times (2D "work" etc).

None the less, I kept raising it to see how high I could get it before the jet-engine-like volumes and I was pleased to find that the fan's sound "pitch" synched to my other fans at about 53%. That is to say that it may not be the right pitch for your rig, but on mine, it seemed to blend into the background noise perfectly :) 

At 53%, the GPU @idle was at 53C and during a 3DMark06 session, peaked in the low 80s which is cool enough. I'm going to do a loong Crysis session tonight (GF's got me for the weekend...) to see if 53% is the magic number and if so, I may not need to create a profile range after all...

...that is, until I start my overclocking trials ;-)

P.S. ...am I the only fool - w/o an nForce mobo - that actually installed nVidia's nTune? :whistle: 
December 6, 2007 12:11:53 PM

deltabullet said:
Hey man I own an eVGA 8800GT Superclocked myself and the idle temperature was ridiculous. I was getting 60 idle and over 80 underload. So I went and bought/installed Arctic Cooling Accelero S1, Turbo Module and some extra heatsink for the memory and the voltage capacitators (on far right of the card) and now my idle is at 42 degrees after hours and in the low 50's when playing games like Crysis, low 50's as in 52-54 :)  You should definitely look into buy an aftermarket cooler such as AC Accelero S1. Or you can simply download Riva Tuner and manually change the fan speed to like 60 or something if you don't mind the noise. But even so the idling and loading temp of the 8800GT still won't drop due to the cheap heatsink that nVidia slaps on this monster.

I had the exact same Temp's @ idle and load. But then I got the Artic Cooling Accelero S2. Thing is awsome for $17 and a little shipping. It now idle's at 48~50C and at peak goes to 70C. This is purely passive cooling no fans,no turbo module, just working off of the regular airflow on the case, very quiet. BTW this is with it OC @ 700/1950, something that wasnt even an option for the stock cooler. So I say the AC S2/S1 is the biggest bang for your VGA cooler buck.
December 6, 2007 4:18:38 PM

The 8800GT is not listed as a compatible card with the Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 from what I can see. Do you verify that this VGA cooler fits the 8800gt?
December 6, 2007 4:30:01 PM

TurdBurglar said:
The 8800GT is not listed as a compatible card with the Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 from what I can see. Do you verify that this VGA cooler fits the 8800gt?

Well thats the best hard proof it fits :kaola:  This is my rig.
December 6, 2007 4:48:55 PM

Well, alrighty then :) 
December 6, 2007 10:57:50 PM

TurdBurglar AC has just announced that the S1( not sure about S2) is compatible with the 8800GT and the ATI 3870. If you check Arctic Coolings website and click the "compatibility" tab under the Accelero S1 you'll see.
December 6, 2007 11:46:43 PM

deltabullet said:

Just note that removal or replacement of the stock fan could lead to a voided warranty. So just be aware. I have first hand knowledge of this. I even retained all the factory thermal pads and apparently didn't have it perfectly aligned as shown to me in a photograph as a hairline double impression on the pads. So think about it before going down this path because left stock for the same money I would have two 8800 GTX in SLI.
December 7, 2007 12:44:22 AM

Hmmm...I just got an eVGA 8800GT Superclocked from New Egg, as I'm helping my brother gut out and revamp his Fragbox. I'm going to be running two high output slot coolers on either side of the card, but does anyone have a good Riva profile I can go by? I like the idea of the temp stepping....

80*C seems insanely hot to me...even into the 70's. Is this just the nature of the beast? I suppose I'll say: What temp is the max this thing can run at before meltdown?
December 7, 2007 4:04:37 AM

ByDesign that must've sucked and I'll keep my fingers crossed. and JJBlanche yes the 8800GT runs very hot. the GPU (with stock cooler) would reach into the 80's while I was playing Crysis and would idle between 55-60 with the fan manually set to 45%. But since its a 65nm chip it should be able to resist high temperature.
December 10, 2007 1:12:39 PM

deltabullet said:
...since its a 65nm chip it should be able to resist high temperature.

I'm not sure what you mean, but let me suggest that as the build size decreases, the temps will also decrease: Smaller transistors = less voltage required = less heat. Of course, the amount of transistors plays a role and logically, more transistors = more power = more heat , but I think that transistor size has the advantage over the transistor count in most cases.

As noted in my OP, the 7900GT was warmer (during load) than the 8800GT and the same can be said for my CPU when I jumped from the P4 (130nm Northwood) to the C2D (65nm Conroe).

But deltabullet is on the money when pointing out that 80C+ for a GPU is nothing out of the ordinary. I haven't found the 8800GT's "thermal specification" (yet) but the 65nm Conroe' has an approx. range of 60C (TDP 65W) for the E6320 to 73C for the E4500. Modern GPUs have always run hotter then CPUs for a given generation, so I think we can assume that 80-something is more than fine for the 65nm 8800GT.

Speaking of temps, I OCed my (standard) 8800GT to 675MHz, set the fan to 53% and played Crysis for a couple of hours, while moitoring temps with RivaTuner. Max GPU temp was 84C (22C ambient) which I'm satisifed with. Some owners set their fans at 80% and I'm sure that helps to achieve sub-80C temps, but the fan is way too loud and if you really want a cool GPU then one should definately look into thrid-party cooling as noted above in several posts.

December 10, 2007 1:38:20 PM

84 is pretty damn hot man, mine runs at 55 top while playing Crysis :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2007 1:44:49 PM

Even my 8800gts 640 would climb into the 80C range under load. Once I slapped on the new waterblock, it never gets over 44C under load. Just be patient and take time when removing a stock HSF...with the new one, your patience will be rewarded...with cooler temps! I agree that the stock HSF's leave something to be desired, but doesn't just about anything 'stock' work that way? If you had a stock entertainment system, you would just have a regular 19" tube TV. Upgrade to a 50" LCD and 7.1 surround, now you have 'customized'. Buy a set of 19" racing rims for your Ford Festiva...now you are 'customized'.
May 13, 2008 11:33:33 AM

I got my 8800GT OC from Inno3D, and it was burning. It got up to 70°C while gaming once. So what I did was visit Yoyotech and bought a ZEROtherm Hurricane. Despite it being not very well known (I think a few uni students started the company) It keeps my GPU at 52°C constantly at my overclocked speeds 704/1624/1000(2000) and only goes to 56° while gaming. It costed me £30 and I think that it provides an excellent performance/price ratio to other HSFs, and possibly even some water-cooling systems. Also, you get free high-quality thermal paste which is reported to be better than Artic Silver 5 (Although I have only ever used AS5). The HSF comes with a speed control device, which is quite pointless in my opinion because 1) It'll be difficult to change the settings if your computer's in a little alcove and 2) The noise levels don't differ that much any way. But it's an absolutely superb product.
!