what to expect with my system lol.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Well dont know what i was thinking, first sold my q6600 a while ago since it was a under performer. now i went and got 2 visontek 3870s from dell ($200) coming in a week or so. I plan on using them on my current system. Running a d805 @ 4.2Ghz with 2gigs of ram or 3.8Ghz with 4gigs. I guess i should expect a bottleneck i am not 100%sure how bad . I have had 2 7900gtx with hacked drivers but could never get sli to work right so just using 1. And i really could not complain about it played every game i wanted including COD 4 at 1900*1200. I never had a bottleneck issue and i could not be happier with my pc's performance per $.
I do want to play crisis but wanted to wait till i had a system that could play it good.
Could the bottleneck make my pc perform worse then it is now? I dont want to get another cpu till the gpus catch up to the games. I also don't want to open the packages if my performance will be worse because i can still return them or sell them as new.

oh i will be using my current psu ( ill call it testing its limits) thats been great, i will most likely have to unhook couple oh hard drives and dvd drives (its a ultra 600)

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Wait. Unless I'm reading this wrong... you sold a Q6600 (w/ C2D architecture) for a Pentium D 8xx series?? The PD 8xx series still uses Netburst Architecture (the same stuff that P4 use) among other things, this contributes to poor dual-core performance. I'm pretty sure they've discontinued them. That aside - two 3870's should allow you to run just about anything (sans Crysis, of course) at that res w/ lots of eye candy.

Could the bottleneck make my pc perform worse then it is now? I dont want to get another cpu till the gpus catch up to the games.
Right now, even some of the fastest CPU's bottleneck GPU's. If you look at benchmarks where, let's say for example, they use an 8800GTX in two systems. Everything is identical except for the CPU. We'll say one uses an E6750 at stock settings and the other uses a Q6600 OC to 3.0Ghz. The Q6600 system is going to achieve higher frame-rates in most benchmarks.

Now, I think you will see a performance gain since you plan on playing at such high resolutions, but I also can't help but think that PD is going to be your weakest link.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
No-no a had the trusty pee-dee 8o5 since it was released , but i then later got a( q6600) that 1. i could not overclock as much as other people and 2. was not helping my gaming much or benchmarks for that matter(with the 7900gtx) so i sold it and have been using my 805 happily since.
I am sure my pd is the weak link, i just dont want it to have worse performance then i have now due to being bottlenecked so badly.
Main plan was to hold off for the next series of gpu's then pick up a cpu. but then the prices on the 3870 was kind of inviting.

I have read this post and your first post, and the reply that rgeist554 made.
I have to side with him, you dumped a Q6600 for a Pentium D because the Pentium D was faster?
There is something wrong with the way it was installed, setup, drivers, motherboard not compatable, I don't know exactly what might have happened, but something definetly was not right. Not many people can say they had to downgrade to 2 year old components with 5 year old architecture and get a performance boost. :eek:

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Most likely the games you played wasn't cpu intensive, more gpu bound so a quadcore didn't have any effect. These days, speed doesn't matter as much. A 2.4ghz Core2duo should beat a Pentium D at 4.2ghz.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think he is saying that the pd805 is faster, only that the quad 6600 was not much of an upgrade for games. For older single threaded games the pd805 might indeed be faster ( only guessing, have no idea). Newer multi threaded games/apps should be much faster on a quad.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
No-no a had the trusty pee-dee 8o5 since it was released , but i then later got a( q6600) that 1. i could not overclock as much as other people and 2. was not helping my gaming much or benchmarks for that matter(with the 7900gtx) so i sold it and have been using my 805 happily since.
I am sure my pd is the weak link, i just dont want it to have worse performance then i have now due to being bottlenecked so badly.
Main plan was to hold off for the next series of gpu's then pick up a cpu. but then the prices on the 3870 was kind of inviting.
Well, you won't get worse performance by upgrading your GPU, as a general rule you will always see some increase. You probably won't see a night / day difference, but performance certainly shouldn't decrease.