Asus Striker Extreme BIOS update

Duckmyster

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Hey guys I just recieved anIntel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX9650 3.00GHz and an Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard.

Great combo eh?

Err....no as the motherboard's BIOS does not support the processor. What I would like to know is will Asus release a BIOS update for this processor? Also any helpful comments or opinion's are always welcome ;)

If not I think I have just wasted 600pounds, which is never a good thing.

Thanks in advance

Duckmyster

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Have you tried using it yet? I know they don't list it on their site but they don't always update their site right away, and I'm sure you will need the latest BIOS update.

Duckmyster

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I know what you mean - I've put the system together and the motherboard doesnt recognize the processor as it thinks its one of 2.00GHz and not 3.00GHz.

Would it not be like using a GPU without drivers?

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Well on ASUS site it says the the striker extreme is 45mn ready for the dual cores only... check out http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/ .

I dont think that the board will ever support the 45nm quads.

As it looks none of the Nvidia chipsets made so far will support the 45nm quads, even the 780i.

It looks like Intel is blacklisting Nvidia for not letting them use SLI on the Intel chipset.

1Haplo

G

My processor specs Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 ( 2.66GHz, 1333MHz, 45nm, 6MB L2 Cache Total)
And of course Asus striker II extreme

When i assembled and pressed the power on button for the first time I also had some issues.. and he couldnt recognise my quad core..
Entered the asus website and downloaded then the newest bios - 1104, placed the bios on flash and updated with EZ Flash 2 and now running all ok! :sol: So i guess it supports the quadcore and 45nm teh... just with newer bios.. not on stock bios..

Will update the bios to newest revision 1402 soon and will see what happens then :lol:

thobel

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
is this a Striker II or the Original Striker? If its the S2E It will support it I have it in my old computer now.