Playing Simcity 4 using a NVIDIA GEForce 6600 graphics card

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Ahoy all,

I just purchased a new system specifically to play Simcity 4 Rush Hour. I'm
using the graphics card mentioned in the title.

The game plays a lot more quickly and smoothly now, which is good! But I've
noticed that the screen has large blocky-type graphics on it, all over the
place. Moving the screen over removes the "block". But that isn't really a
solution...

Has anyone played Simcity 4 with a NVIDIA GEForce 6600 card? If so, how do
you get rid of this blocky graphics thing? Is it something to do with my
drivers?

Thanks,

Jason.

Jason wrote:
> Has anyone played Simcity 4 with a NVIDIA GEForce 6600 card? If so,
> how do you get rid of this blocky graphics thing? Is it something to
> do with my drivers?

Never played with an Nvidia card, I prefer ATI, but you should get the most
recent drivers and updates etc. You could also check the in game graphics
options.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Cheers Will.

I've checked the game settings, it's set to 32 bit graphics and using
Hardware rendering, so I don't know if it's in the game. I'll check the
hardware settings of the actual card when I get home.

Has anyone else used one of these cards successfully?

Jason wrote:
> I've checked the game settings, it's set to 32 bit graphics and using
> Hardware rendering, so I don't know if it's in the game. I'll check
> the hardware settings of the actual card when I get home.

IIRC, you want it set to software, I had rubbish graphics on both, then I
got a new card, put it on hardware and it was still rubbish, changed to
software and the graphics and performance improved so much.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Would having it on hardware result in the blotchy/blocky patches I get
throughout the game tho? Or would it just run slowly?

Jason wrote:
> Would having it on hardware result in the blotchy/blocky patches I get
> throughout the game tho? Or would it just run slowly?

It just ran slowly for me, taking forever to process the graphics when I
scrolled around, or zoomed in. But it might help.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Fixed it, I just set the game to use "software" instead of "hardware", after
another suggestion by my manager at work :)

> Jason wrote:
> > Would having it on hardware result in the blotchy/blocky patches I get
> > throughout the game tho? Or would it just run slowly?
>
> It just ran slowly for me, taking forever to process the graphics when I
> scrolled around, or zoomed in. But it might help.

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Sounds like a similar problem to some of the "older" NVidia cards...
There's been quite a history of blocky, blacked out, streaked or
somehow otherwise corrupted graphics between GEForce cards, NVidia
drivers, and Simcity 4 for some time.
Not sure whether the latest series of drivers have fixed this problem,
(I haven't had much luck - although I'm still using Win98SE and an
5600FX) but I know of players who had to stay with ver 52.16
specifically to play at an acceptable speed - assuming you don't want
to revert to software rendering vs. hardware which gets painfully slow
with larger cities!
Perhaps you could try the older driver and see if it fixes the problem
- if so, you'll have to decide whether it's worth it as it may create
problems with newer games.

prichter@pcug.org.au wrote:
> Sounds like a similar problem to some of the "older" NVidia cards...
> There's been quite a history of blocky, blacked out, streaked or
> somehow otherwise corrupted graphics between GEForce cards, NVidia
> drivers, and Simcity 4 for some time.
> Not sure whether the latest series of drivers have fixed this problem,
> (I haven't had much luck - although I'm still using Win98SE and an
> 5600FX) but I know of players who had to stay with ver 52.16
> specifically to play at an acceptable speed - assuming you don't want
> to revert to software rendering vs. hardware which gets painfully slow
> with larger cities!
> Perhaps you could try the older driver and see if it fixes the problem
> - if so, you'll have to decide whether it's worth it as it may create
> problems with newer games.
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:54:31 +1300, "Jason" <a@b.com> wrote:

Great

bye_bye_my_love9401@duskmail.com