Going crazy with possible memory problems

hheiber

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I have:

ASUS P5KC
2 GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400
e6750 CPU

I am getting frequent - at least once a day - crashes to BSOD. I am trying to figure out where the problem is. I have:

- Reinstalled Windows once
- Rum Prime95 without incident
- Run Memtest86+ several times. It is almost always successful. If I run it right after a crash, it sometimes shows errors. If I do a full powerdown and cold boot it never repeats those errors
- Recently run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. It too showed some errors initially. I shut down for about a 1/2 hour and reran the tool without any errors

I am going crazy because I cannot reliably recreate errors and diagnose where the problem is. Part of me thinks this is a motherboard issue since it is inconsistent like this. I don't have spare parts to just go about replacing things easily. I would have to RMA anything I need to replace. Also, I don't want to replace the motherboard if I don't have to since that would be a royal PITA.

Any help on how to troubleshoot and resolve this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In BIOS set the memory voltage and timings to MFG specs. PC 6400 Ballistic is 2.0-2.1v and CAS4. This should solve your BS problem.

IF BS continues. To view blue screen error message in xp:

right click on My Computer
select properties, then select the 'advanced' tab
under start up and recovery select 'settings'
uncheck automatically restart.

If you get another BS, write down the error code and google it.

hheiber

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I have my memory set to the correct settings and have already disabled the automatic restarts. I am actually going to relax the settings to the default on the BIOS: 5-5-5-15, 1.8V or something close to that to see if that makes a difference.

I've gotten many different errors, which is making this difficult, such as:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
BAD_POOL_CALLER
etc.

hheiber

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I thought I would follow up in case anyone was interested in the resolution.

During one of the crashes, the BIOS wanted to reset to the defaults. I went ahead and did that. Since then, everything has been running completely stable. I have updated the BIOS to the previous settings and it still runs great.

Looks like my BIOS got corrupted during a crash some time way back when I first started having these problems. Resetting the BIOS was not something I had thought about doing.