Pentium 4 and Vista 64 bit

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
will Vista 64 bit work on a Pentium 4 630, 3.0Ghz, Hyperthread, 2M cache, 800Mhz FSB system? MB has intel chipset 945G.

Edit: 2G pc-5400, Sata HD

Vista 64 will work, but more recent MB's offer 'Vista Ready' products. Check your MB's webpage for any Vista 64 drivers that the Mfg. may have made available specifically for your MB..

:pt1cable: I tried this out with a 3.4 Pent d 2gig ram 160 gig Sata2 and I will tell you it is not worth it. It was a spare Dell I had lying around and I wanted to see how good bad driver support for 64 bit was. Sooo I nuked the vist 32 bit and installed the 64 and first thing I noticed was it ran really sloooow compaired to 32 bit. So I called up dell (called for another reason figured i would ask what was up) and they told me all P4 netburst with 64bit was a tack on to keep up with AMD at the time and in reality it was 2 32 bit cores strapped together (sure this is the simple ver but you get the idea) and you loose allot of speed in the translation ... So if you really have a P4 and not D I would really not recomend it at all... It was very slugginsh and that was with nothing installed.

I will say that the 64 bit vista ult found every driver in this system though 32 bit didn't even do that...

Thently

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
that makes me wonder. Is Vista 64 worth it? What benefits are there to running Vista 64 other than 8G max of RAM?

If that is all the benefit of going to 64, then i will run 32 and keep my P4 for a while longer. I runs just fine with my video set up.

For simplicity's sake, P4 was designed during the time of XP (XP 64). To avoid driver issues, other non-compatibilities, etc. Vista 64 works fine with a 'modern' Vista raedy chipset and processor. I ran a P965 chip and an E6600 C2D on Vista 32 since the week Vista came out (almost a year). I ran Vista 32 beta on an Athlon socket A before that. Now I am running Vista Ultimate 64 on my current X38 Q6600. I think like others have suggested, you are better off having a modern Vista Ready system and you avoid having problems with 'ancient' hardware/software that was released before Vista was. For example, my cira Win98 printer has no driver for Vista 64, but still works when it's plugged in to Vista 32. Anyway, HTH.