Sign in with
Your question

System freezes every few seconds

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2007 3:53:26 PM

I built a system last year using a ECS KV3 MVP motherboard, AMD processor, ATI xt1950 graphics and generally higher end components. Since then the system occansionaly starts to freeze up every few seconds for about a second. I am guessing every 10 it does it for 1. This has happened from the first month I've had it. It will be always go away after a restart. What is strange is that it does not always do this. Sometimes months will pass and this will not happen once and the system will work fine. Other times it will do it constantly after ths system has been running for a while. While it is doing this I sometimes will have a complete system freeze that requires me to hold the power button until it shuts down. I have no idea where to even start to solve this annoying problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

More about : system freezes seconds

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2007 4:47:21 PM

Need full system specs.

What are you doing when it happens? Is the system under a heavy gaming load?

What kind of internal temps do you have when this happens?

A lot of weird instability problems occur because of inadequate power.
November 29, 2007 5:20:26 PM

well i have a new hard drive(not sure of the brand). 1 gig of ram. I'm at work now and don't have the specs. I'll get them when I get home.

It is never under heavy loads. In fact it is most often when I am just chatting on adium, checking email, and browsing online. It has never happened while I was playing a game. Though it's happened shortly after. Don't recall the exact temps but I've not noticed anything odd. This can happen shortly after the computer is started so I'm almost sure its not temps. I haven't had any temp problems while playing Company of heros on highest settings for hours.

I'll fill in the rest when I get home....
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2007 5:22:04 PM

Test the memory with memtest86+.
Otherwise you may have a bad power supply.
Tell us more about your hardware and power supply.
!