Relatively Simple(Or not) question about monitor.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hello,

Some of you may know that I recently built a computer. Everything has gone fine, up until this point. I used my a neighbors LCD for first boot up, but I can't keep using it. I am trying to use an old 15'' or so dell monitor. The problem with that is that the cable is a 15-pin male(has the little pins sticking out). I need it to fit into my new computer's 8 pin female slot(little holes that accept the pins). Does anyone know of an adapter of some kind that will allow me to use this monitor as a temporary solution, or am I screwed until I can get a new monitor?

Again, I really don't know what the adapter would be called or even if there is one...so I can't really do a search on it.

Thank you,
-Adam

I'm sure someone has a definitive answer for you, but you could draw a diagram of the the plugs you have and go to an electronics store like Fry's and find the cable/adapter you need.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Well, I'm not sure how to say how many pins it needs.

For reference, I have an 8800GT....maybe that cable in the picture is the thing I need?

I think Fry's would have what you need, but then again...how old is the monitor? It's possible that would be a special order unless the store just happened to have an adapter that would work. I don't know about what you have specifically.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
The 8800GT should have 2 DVI outs and should come with 2 DVI to VGA (3 rows of 5 pins) that you can attach your monitor cable to. The 8 pin thing on the card is for TV's I believe. The box also comes with a cable that should split that 8 pin into a Red, Blue, and Green 8 pin.

DVI:
DVI-FF-0.5_thumb.jpg

DVI to VGA converter:
AD-ZOG-DVI-VGA.jpg

That's what your monitor (VGA) cable needs to attach to, not the 8-pin.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
you are trying to screw a monitor cable (15 pin) into your computer's SERIAL (9 pin) connection.

wont work.

find the right connector.