AMD Athlon X2 5000BE MSI K9A2-CF (790x)

mountaindewdope

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I just bought this Rig, $460.98 USD off new egg,

4GB Supertalent 5-5-5-15 DDR2-800 RAM (volt spec 2.1v)

AMD Athlon x2 5000 BE (B2 according to CPUz?)

Antec Neopower 650 W

MSI K9A2-CF 790x MB AMI BIOS Rev 1.2

MSI 3650 512MB DD2 OC edition GFX card

Zalman 9700 CNT (off local retailer)

I tried to Overclock using three different Versions of AMD Overdrive, and it never seemed to work. I got BSODs every time I tired to adjust something or the setting wouldn't stay. In addition, MSI Dual core cell would crash if I even had this installed. I used Versions 2.0.07 (MB CD), v 2.0.14, and v 2.0.17.

I tired to use MSI Dual Core Cell, which only seems to overclock the FSB. Every Attempt to overclock the FSB results in the system Rebooting.

I went thru the Bios and tried the same overclock setup that toms had done in their article. I was able to get it to 3.1GHz with a 15.5x multiplier, but had to raise the core Voltage to 1.412 v. I tried to push it to 16x with a 1.45v core, but the system failed stability testing with in 3 minutes using Orthos. It seems that I can't achieve what toms has been doing, but I don't know why.
When ever I tired to adjust the FSB thru the bios, the computer wouldn't boot and I had to reset the CMOS.

I tired to use MSI Dual Core Cell to pu the mem and NB voltages by .1 v, and I still couldn't even get the FSB up 2mhz

I noticed on MSI's website, that the Bios has had several updates, and the "CPU Module" has been updated several times.
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1333

I have the system running ~120% (3.1ghz) on multiplier only, with a Idle Temp of 32C and Load Temp of 44C.

another note, I can't run 3dmark on this system. I get the splash screen, but 10mins later its still there. I reinstalled windows already, due to other random software issues, and it still won't load.

Has anyone else had experience with this board/combo?
What a "Safe Voltage" that I can run this Chip at to hopefully get to that Stable 3.2GHz mark?
What can i do to try to overclock the FSB to push a little more out off this Hardware?
Is there a version of AMD Overdrive out there that supports this board?
Do My BIOS need to be updated so that AMD Overdrive will Work?

This is my first overclocking build, and I really don't want to end up with bricked system. Any Help is greatly appreciated.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Try reloading windows, but with everything at stock settings, Why did you say that you are having to reload anyway, new system yes? Try setting the freq to 240 with a multi of 13 = 3.12, this is close to your max oc. Every system has it max settings. With this one take small steps. I think that a 15.5 multi is too high.