Yorkfield bugged and delayed...

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
....yet still being shipped to the unsuspecting public. Even though Intel is aware of the bug that under certain conditions, can cause a computer equipped with a Yorkfield cpu to crash. A public statement by Intel is expected.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2606951&postcount=1

You can go ahead and buy one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=yorkfield .....

$1300 for a buggy chip??? wow

It'll definitely be interesting to watch the hypocrisy show.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Naw, it was AMDs fault. Don't you know that?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I'll wait a little for other credible news (Dailytech, Ars), before making any assumption. I wonder why only French news site have this?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

France is full of AMD Fanbois.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Interesting.
I'd like to see other hardware sites report the same thing before jumping on the whole "Yorksfield has a bug" bandwagon.

Until then, it's just a rumor. An interesting, non-descriptive rumor of a problem that happens in a lab. I wonder if this French site read through the errata and found something nice, and got Intel to confirm what was on the errata sheet.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Why don't you go to www.intel.com and do a search for "qx9650 errata" before posting misinformation? None of the errata look very severe to me. Interesting though, the yorkfield does also have a tlb errata, just not one that's a show stopper.

Now, can you go to AMD's website and get an errata sheet for any of their cpu's as easily?

And last I checked, using your link, the chip was quite a bit under 1200 USD.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Both Intel and AMD have had hundreds of errata bugs from released processors. Nothing new here.

That is very true.
Most errata, if you look at them, aren't even fixed most of the time. The more serious ones are fixed on next revision, but usually don't need a recall of any type.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Mmmmm, I wonder what is happening? If there is a bug/errata how did they find it? When was it found? Can it be fixed with uCode? Or will Intel have their own Phenom issue.

If it has to be recalled you can bet Intel will make good with a new one that has the issue fixed. The question is how many QX9650 have been sold?

If this is true can anyone outside of a lab environment cause this issue to appear? My understanding is that they have some pretty interesting tools at their disposal to stress a CPU.

I think I will go along with the rest of the posters and wait for more information. If it is true then Intel will be putting out a revised errata document soon.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Sorry, but that just looks like the site copied the French site almost word for word, and took credit for it.
The only thing they removed was the part about Intel confirming the fact.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this new link was a sister site, since it has the exact same time, and reporter for the article.

Even the colors look exactly the same.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Back in the good old days of Pentium they needed a recall...those were the days, since the FDIV bug has led to many an internet joke.

As long as the issue doesn't effect performance or stability to a noticeable degree, its not too much of an issue anyway.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Apparently at the moment, no major news sites have confirmed this. I will still treat this as a rumor.

@ OP: Behardware.com is the English version of hardware.fr. So only two news sources have this story.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I'll wait for an official confirmation from intel. If it does indeed turn out to be true, at least it'll lessen the concerns on AMD's current TLB scenario. Whatever can distract that unfortunate error should take some of the weight off. But we'll have to wait and see how everything unfolds. AMD's scenario is obviously much worse. Not due to the errors, but due to the current state of AMD's financial situation...

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Its said Intels new cpus have ~120 bugs, though havent heard yet it could be so severe. If it can be replicated, Intel might have its own "famous 5 minutes". Lets wait for the top sites to get on this issue, it might me hoax, but even if its true, I kind of suspect Intel going easier through it, it have wast resources to mitigate the hit.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
This is how the world of the internet works. Remember the 9800 specs posted way back? Popped up on one site, all of a sudden all over the place. Same damn article too. You really cant trust any of these website anymore. Always at the end you'll see a "?????? did not comment on the article"....Or if a site does and it's not true, they pretty much get stamped with "fud alert" for life.

Ok so let me get this straight. The bug is able to be recreated in lab but not seen in the open where "we" the consumer are. I don't think it is anything serious to tell you the truth. There are always errata in chips, normally around 100 with the first release and then they slowly get fixed in steppings and BIOS updates.

The only true errata that will delay a chip is if it causes major performance impacts(and Toms never saw it even when they OC'ed the QX9650 to 3.8GHz) or if it is seen in the consumer area like AMDs TLB errata.

Either way if Intel hasn't said it I don't think there will be a delay yet. Maybe they have already gotten it fixed and still plan to fix it. We just have to wait and see.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Even if this is assumed to be true the difference between this and the problem with the AMD's. 1.) It would seem the AMD's have a better chance of it happening on the consumer level. 2.) Intel doesnt need this product to be out right now like AMD and can afford to recall/delay...so your point is?!? And dont say if AMD isnt allow to have this problem then why is Intel to respond back to me because I just answered that to you. The fact is, is that we were lied to about Phenom, we were plagued by CONSTANT delays, and then it shows up and underperforms...then the bug surfaced.

I have nothing against AMD, but this does not affect Intel nearly the same way as it does AMD at this point and is almost irrelevant...especially since it is taking so long to be reported on major websites...if at all.

Best,

3Ball