the data in a volume is being verified and repaired

Today I turned my computer on and after it started up and installed some windows updates (I thought this was a little odd as I didn't see a message before I shut down saying there was updates to be installed) I got a little notification bubble saying "the data in a volume is being verified and repaired".

What could cause this to happen? I haven't had a blue screen for a while and my computer shut down normally last night. The only thing I can possible think that may have caused it is jkdefrag (3.34 for vista 64) but according to the jkdefrag FAQ it is safe to use on a raid array (I read that before I started using it on this machine). I have checked what windows update installed (thinking it may have installed a drive update) but nothing there jumps out as being capable of disrupting the raid array.

2 seaget 500GB 32MB cache SATA2 drive in raid 1
MSI 8800GT 512OC
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Coolmater Real Power 550W Extreme
2 2GB PC2-6400 400Mhz G.Skill ram
Intel E8200

As of writing the process is at 36% so I'm just waiting and watching and hoping that sorts its self out.
4 answers Last reply
More about data volume verified repaired
  1. Ok it has finished doing what ever it was doing, it found 17 error's and corrected them (I have no idea what they are and can't seem to find a log at the moment).
  2. I have the same mobo, and it's been doing it every few days. I wonder if one the drives is dying.
  3. Have you been shutting your computer down properly each time. I did notice that this problem occurred after my computer blue screened. Other wise I got nothing.
  4. Nope, this is a fairly new system (XP Pro), and it's never blue-screened as far as I know. I have 3 750GB drives in a RAID5.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage