Sign in with
Your question

Samsung Series 5 Laptop Windows 7 Will not load/recover Windows 7

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
December 9, 2012 6:08:05 AM

Friends Samsung Laptop, Series 5, came with Windows 7 installed. Something happened to the point where he wanted to completely uninstall windows and re install everything. I have the Samsung Recovery Disc that came with the laptop.

So far, I press the power button and It comes up and gives me two options, F2 [Setup] for F4[Recovery].

-If i press F2 everything in the BIOS is set to the defaults, it Sees everything Disc Drive, HDD, RAM everything.

-If i press F4 (With the Samsung recovery disc inside) It proceeds to attempt to "Start Windows" and Loads all the way up to a nice lime green Windows screen that will just say "Please Wait..." I've waited for damn near 30-45 minutes and nothing will happen. I can move the mouse and for the first couple minutes i can hear the disc spin on and off for about 5 seconds. :??: 

-If i press nothing at the F2 or F4 screen(With the Samsung Recovery disc inside) After about 10 seconds it turns to a black screen which asks to "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" If i press Enter, it turns to the black screen with the grey loading bar with "Windows is loading files" After that it Loads another screen perfect and then i get to the Windows 7 Language choice box. I choose my Language, Country and Keyboard, press next. It gives me three options, 1-Install Now, 2- What you need to know before installing, and 3-Repair.
I choose "Install Now" first. I Clicked it and it says "Setup is starting..." with the nice Blue background. Stays on this for another 30-45 minutes and goes nowhere. :( 

If don't push any keys at the "Press any key to Boot..." it moves on to "Windows is Loading Files..." Black screen with the Grey Bar at the bottom. Then just goes black, no mouse cursor or anything on screen. :cry: 

I am completely stuck at this point, in all honesty i don't know what else to do. I have a USB Optical drive i can use, A Retail Copy of Windows 7 (Used for my Gaming PC), and Screwdrivers. I'm open to any help i can get before he has to box it up and send it in. :D 
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2012 8:22:02 AM

Apart from cleaning the Laser lens on the optical drive and and cleaning the Samsung W7 DVD, the only other option would be to format the disk and try again.

First, though, go back into BIOS and look for the hard disk options. If changing from AHCI to IDE is an option, choose that one - the system may not be able to find a hard disk on which to install.
December 9, 2012 7:54:04 PM

The lens and DVD are clean

In The BIOS i don't see anything resembling hard disk options...
The only option i see in the BIOS with AHCI is "AHCI Mode Control" it's either Auto or Manual.
-Choosing Manual gives another option to "Set AHCI Mode" And it's just to Disable or Enable.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
December 10, 2012 5:53:56 AM

It seems likely it's something that went wrong in reverting to BIOS defaults and I'd hoped it would be that one but clearly it isn't. If you have a Windows 7 DVD, can you boot from that and see if you get as far as the StartUp Repair and see if that system can find the hard disk?
December 10, 2012 6:13:34 AM

I have tried the Windows 7 disc and it gets hung up right around the time it would need to read the HDD. I just went ahead and opened up the laptop (very easy actually) and took out the HDD and swapped it for a SSD I had extra. Everything seems to install perfect, boots right up, I installed drivers from samsungs website and everything. I guess it was the hard drive, now ill just make sure by putting his laptop HDD in my desktop to format it and put it back in the laptop to see if it changed anything. His hard drive may just be done for though!
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
December 10, 2012 1:42:26 PM

Progress indeed. Checkdisk with the /r switch to find and fix errors may work and if it's, say, a Seagate, their Seatools utility would go one step further. Another manufacturers have tools available but I no longer bother if it's labelled Toshiba.

December 11, 2012 4:01:40 AM

I put his HDD into my desktop and tried to boot up (from the one i already had in there not his) so i could format it and my desktop started to do exactly what his laptop was doing. I could only get as far as the BIOS, every time i tried loading windows it would just be a black screen. It is a Seagate HDD but i can't test or even look at it because what ever it's in wont boot...

Took it out and my desktop boots right up...
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 5:57:02 AM

duog said:
Took it out and my desktop boots right up...

It will almost certainly appear if you use a converter to connect it through USB. It would be unlikely to work in a totally strange set of hardware for which it didn't have drivers so it may not have too big a problem.
December 11, 2012 6:23:50 AM

Ah, now a converter is going to cost him around $20. I guess it could save him the $70 for a hard drive though... If it connects through a USB converter will it just be like an external HDD? Why wouldn't it work when it was using the SATA internally?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
December 11, 2012 5:04:25 PM

I don't know but I still reckon the answer is in BIOS somewhere.
!