Is this too hot to be running at this OC????

grumpymonk

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I have a Q9300 and have it overclocked to 3.4 GHz I am wondering if my system is running too hot?? I have a thermalright ultra 120 as my cpu cooler as well as a coolermaster stacker with good ventilation. So is this hot?? and if it is any suggestions (what settings should i change)

Untitled-1.jpg

I used photo shop to put the two pictures all on one screen the core temp and the fanspeed on the left half is during prime 95 running the right side is idle

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I am not positive of the exact specifications, but it looks fine to me. Thats a reasonable temp. Although I do remember reading somewhere reliable that the maximum allowable temps on those are lower than normal by a bit.

Stupid intel. Then you have to remember that it is as impossible as things get to reach that in day to day activity. Is your TRUE lapped?

--Lupi

grumpymonk

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
when you say maximum allowable temp are you talking a bout the cores? or the cpu? also my cpu cooler isn't lapped just stock.

i applied a moderate amount not crazy not sure how to describe it but you can say its not transparent can't see the cpu under the paste

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
LOL, thats true. And for your information, almost all TRUEs are a bit uneven and rough on the contact area. You MAY gain decent returns when you lap the thing.

When you lap it, to apply the paste, just place a mid sized drop on it, and take a finger and spread it evenly over the chip. Then use other fingers to run over it until the layer is smooth, and partially transparent. (You'll be able to see that its just a thin layer, though full.) And your clean finger will remove a small amount of paste when you spread it, so in that manner you get it down to a light layer.

--Lupi!

^Tip: Don't use your fingers. The dust,oil,etc in your fingers can effect CPU temps. I recommend you cover your finger with some cling wrap or smiler thing (ie. grocery bags) and then apply the paste. Or you can use a credit card or the like.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
He said "take a finger" so if that finger was from some dead guy...

Anyways, I like to let the heatsink to all the spreading for me. Just put some dab here and there and place the heatsink on. That way it can evenly spread to areas that need em.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Ah, the classic spread vs the new age dab's. According to the Arctic Silver website dabbing and letting the heatsink do the spreading is the way to go. It just feels odd not covering the whole heatsink. But when you think about it the outermost edges that likely won't get paste won't matter as much or at all since the actual core is pretty much centered and thats where the action is for that direct transfer of heat.

TRENDING THREADS