Best Northbridge Cooler (air)

Patton

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I am trying to decide on a northbridge cooler (air cooling), but I am not sure which one to get. After reading reviews, I think I have narrowed it down to the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II, or the Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX.

Which would be the better choice between these two, or is there something else better?

Also, would there be any installation/compatibility problems these coolers? I will be using a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard, and most likely only using the integrated graphics (without using a dedicated video card). However, if I do use a video card, would there a problem using either of these coolers.

Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II: http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/cooler/VGAnCHIPnMEM/cl-c0034/cl-c0034.asp

Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX: http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/chipset/hr05_sli_ifx/product_chitset_cooler_hr05_sli_ifx.htm?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2758&ProductName=GA-MA78GM-S2H

kkm557

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You technically shouldn't, but depending on the size of your CPU heatsink it might. The only problem I could forsee with the graphics card, is if you have an aftermarket heatsink with a large back plate. I've had problems with the Zalman zf700 (or something like that before.)

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
I have a little problem installing my Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II with my Scythe Mine CPU Cooler on my Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mainboard but since the TT Ext Sprt II NB Cooler design such the way it is that it can be rotated to any direction, you wouldn't get much problem :)

ThermaltakeExtremeSpiritII-1.jpg

Reversion11a.jpg

Paully

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I used screws to attach 2 40mm fans to my current heatsink.
Hotglue sounds like a great idea, wish I thought of it.
the outer screws don't quite make it onto the HS, so mine is attached
by two inner screws on each fan. The screws are wedged between the fins
and are holding securely.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Ok so just cos the Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX is bigger that doesn't mean its better right? Thats gonna help but surely its all about its contact with the chipset and the conductivity of the metal used? I mean with the Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX it seems that you have to buy a fan seperate, which seems pretty pointless and annoying to me, especially as i am a student so always on a tight budget.

I am also trying to find a decent NB cooler. I have the Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium CPU Cooler, which is pretty large. So i am worried me potentially buying a northbridge cooler and it not fitting.

Paully, what is your verdict on the NB cooler you brought? Does it do the job well? You had to buy two 40mm fnas seperate right?

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Glueing a fan to the top of the chip isn;t going to do much at all. I reckon it would even do less than the stock chipset heatsink anf cooler. You need some kind of metal to absorb the heat, whichj is exactly what the stock heatsink is doing. A fan glued on the top is not gonna do the job as well. THink i am going to go with the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II as it rotates so there is more chance of it fitting around my CPU heatsink. Unless anyone has a better suggestion........

G

I just installed the Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX and even though it was a little challenge to install, it's working perfectly, I can touch the fins and the pipes and they feel warm to the touch, unlike the oem heatsink. I checked the compatibility list on their website and my board is not listed but just by looking at it and getting the dimensions I knew I could work with it, I had to install it kind of in between the CPU CoolIt vantage liquid pump and the video card, at an angle, but is not touching anything with plenty clearance around it, luckily the board is laid out pretty good. I have a midsize old Antec case, with some mayor modifications on it, to allow better airflow, one of the mods that help it a lot was putting a 230mm fan on the side, it keeps everything nice and cold, and overall for such a small package the computer runs very cold, with a moderate overclock on the CPU and video card, is very quiet, and plays just about anything without any problems. To wrap it up, if you think you can use it get it.

Toxikaraidur

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
While we are on the subject of Northbridge coolers, what about Asus' Rampage V Edition 10? Is there a better heatsink / heatsink+Fan I can use than the stock "Republic Of Gamers" one?