Help! Strange problem!

I'm having an odd problem with my pc...

As of yesterday, whenever i played a game for more than about 10 minutes, it had an APPRASH eror, and then when i got back to the desktop, firefox, windows media player, and other things had the same error and crashed.
Whilst trying to fix this (tried new drivers, spyware and virus checks etc), I decided to check my components were all in properly etc so re-wired my whole pc, and reset the bios. (I was mildly overclocking before, but has been stable for about 2 weeks...)

When I turned my computer back on at the mains, more problems arose - the fans, lights, cpu fan, HDDs all went on without me pressing the on button! But no life on the screen...
So I pressed the on button and it booted normally.

Now, whenever I try and shut down, it returns to this state (fans lights HDDs GPU fan CPU fan on)
Odd.

What's wierder is that it seems to have somehow fixed the crashing problem.

So I figure a piece of hardware is to blame - what is it likely to be?

q6600 @ 3ghz
7900GT
2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 @ 5-4-4-14
WDC SATA 250gb
2x maxtor diamondmax 120gb/80gb IDE
Thermaltake TR2 500W
16 answers Last reply
More about help strange problem
  1. BTW, I've been having problems booting recently - it takes several attempts to get my computer to beep and startup, other times it appears to turn on but no beep and no signal on screen. I'd basically decided this was a PSU problem and was getting round to ordering a new Corsair one, but then this happened, so i'm not so sure any more.

Thoughts? Could this be my PSU (I'd say that's the most likely to be broken... mobo/cpu/ram is nice and new :))
  2. Check the wiring to the motherboard, ie. start/reset buttons. Does sound to me like a potential PSU problem, especially if you recycled it from a previous build. I think if you post your complete system specs, someone on these forums can give you some ideas to try to troubleshoot this problem.
  3. I've checked and double checked the wiring, it's absolutely fine. My PSU is about 2 years old now, whereas my mobo, cpu, RAM are 3 weeks old. My graphics card is about 2 years old also.

Complete system specs:
    Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz, 1.35V + Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro
    Asus P5k (vanilla)
    2gb OCZ Special Ops DDR2 PC2-6400 @ 5-4-4-14
    WDC SATA 250gb
    2x maxtor diamondmax 120gb/80gb IDE
    PNY Geforce 7900gt @ stock
    Thermaltake TR2 500w
    Cheapish case, but has good air flow + 3 8" fans, one 12".
  4. So could it be my PSU? or is it my mobo? >.<
  5. Most shops carry pwr supply testers so if you bring yours in & it tests bad buy a new one if it's fine you can pretty much rule it out as the issue.
  6. It's harder to find such a shop here in the uk...

I was more wondering if anyone knew if a PSU death could be the cause of there symptoms...
    I mean, how can a PSU break games? would it be my graphics card not getting enough juice?
    And how would it keep all the fans and lights on?

I'm hoping so much that this isn't a mobo problem... please reassure me that a dying PSU could give these problems!
  7. Could also be the motherboard.
    The P5K has a 3 phase power part (low end).
    If your CPU voltage drops about 0.1V from idle to heavy load (Prime95) it could be the reason (mine drops from 1.24374V to 1.2000V under load).

If the power part of the board was "bad" it could explain the strange standby behaviour...
  8. I've checked the CPU voltage both overclocked and non-overclocked.
    I've got it set to 'auto' in the BIOS, and under load it tends to actually increase by about 0.05v.
  9. bump! what does everyone think... should i go for a new psu?
    or are there more tests I can do first?
  10. When you are in your bios what are the voltages? If you can boot to bios and read the voltages you don't need a tester. The PSU is the most important part of any computer build, and should be the best that you can get. I like PCPOWER PSU's but you may not be able to get them in the UK, Seasonic, Hyper and Sparkle would also work well for you. I would also go with a larger PSU than 500 watts. I was very fortunate to pick up a PCPower 750 watt silencer for only $140 from Newegg last week. I know you do not have access to them, but look around you may find a good deal where you live.

What do you mean by an APPRASH eror?

It would not hurt to pick up a power supply from one of the tier one vender's, just look at the power supply sticky here on the forums.
  11. Checking in BIOS, the voltage are:
    Vcore 1.272V
    3.3V: 3.232V
    5V: 4.992V
    12V: 12.096V

These look ok to me?

And by APPCRASH, i mean that in vista it looks like this:

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: hl2.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 470c11ae
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_8d13
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 8d13
    Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
    Additional Information 3: 8d13
    Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

(this happened for any games, not just hl2.)
    I've been playing games fine for the last couple of days though, no more APPCRASHes (since the remaining on problem started)
    Thoughts?
  12. Your power supply, a Thermaltake TR2 is listed as a tier 4 psu, which means it was pretty shakey even when new, much less being 2 years old. Its quite possible something has gone wrong with it. The newer Thermaltake Toughpower series is a lot better. Seasonic's S12 is also a good replacement, as well as one from PC P&C. Since you are overclocking, a psu larger than 500wts wouldn't hurt either, though its not absolutely necessary.

Your voltage in BIOS is within tolerances, but it may be dropping under load. There also may be hidden fluctuations that are causing problems. I'd suspect something is wrong with either the psu or the wiring, maybe even the power button in the case is sticking. I've seen that happen a couple times, resulting in major headaches tracing it down. I had to take apart a case once and use a file to shave off some plastic so the button would not stick.
  13. Hmm. I guess I should get a new PSU anyway then, though I've had a look on the asus forums and it seems that several other people have been having similar problems with their p5k, leading me to think it's actually the motherboard at fault.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245593-12-asus-wifi-stable-randomly-post#t1747448
  14. There may be a problem with the motherboard as well as the psu. It could also be that the psu took out the motherboard. Don't know for sure, and trying to diagnose problems exactly over the internet isn't easy. What I do know is there's a problem and your psu is not the best around, so that's where I'd start looking.
  15. Sailer is absolutely right. Start with the component that is known to be the least reliable and work your way up from there. Aside from that, I'll say I also think your power supply is at fault just from the weirdness of the problems. It seems, from experience, that the weirder the problem, the more likely the PSU is at fault. Get a good one with an active PFC and a wattage rating in the 500+ range, and it should solve your problems.

Hardware problems aside, you will also need to work on your windows installation. Due to the many crashes your computer suffered, there is likely many problems with the file system as well as there may be missing files in your windows folders. Start up with the CD, go into recovery mode, then run chkdsk on your main windows drive until it comes up with having found no errors. Then get into windows and do start->run sfc /scannow . With a little luck windows should be back to normal then.
  16. ok, I'll get myself a nice new PSU (looking at the Toughpower 750W) when I get home (2weeks or so.)
    I'll report back then.
    Thanks a lot for the help guys :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems