tgznyc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Hey guys,

I just built a new system and have some extra money left over so I'm thinking about trying one of the 10k raptors. I currently have a 640g hd running Vista 64 on it.

I would like to run Vista and my games on the Raptor, and use my 640gig for music and files.

When I get the Raptor do I have to format my 640gig and install Vista on it? Or can I transfer my OS and games on the raptor, and leave everything else on the 640?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm still learning.

Thanks for your time.

tgznyc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Alright so I'll reofrmat this 640 then install the raptor and my OS & games. How do I go about using my 640 just for files. Obviously I'll see it as a drive in 'My Computer' but will I be able to save apps and programs I dont use often in there and be able to access them easily? Like can I make an E:/Program Files/ and install some apps that I don't use often? Or would I only use it for storing music. I'm not really sure what else I would store in there, can you guys give me ideas?

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
The new drive will take the next available drive letter. From there it's up to you - install new programs to it, drag music down to it, whatever you put there.

If you install a program on C:\newstuff or D:\newstuff the only issue is whether or not the development team was stupid and used hardcoded locations - which is pretty rare.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

the procedure that i use for moving to a second hdd without reinstalling is this,,,
1,using norton ghost,make a ghost of the current c: drive,store it in the primary hdd,
on a different partition,of course.
2,mount by itself,fdisk and format the 2nd hdd,if you fdisk from dos,you can format ,quick, from windoze,
3,copy ghost to second hdd.i have a small partition,about 4g just for ghosts,and one for the swapfile,
4,install 2nd hdd by itself,restore partition using ghost,
5,mount old hdd as second hdd,copy over what you need,to where you want it,other stuff may be held in/on "temp",any name will do like xxx savv, directories on first hdd,
6,leave 2nd hdd in place fdisk and format as needed,copy over whatever from 1st hdd,and you're good to go,the copying of stuff that you want to keep will take awhile....:)

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
You can move your "My Documents" folder to the 640 GB drive after you reinstall O/S. That will make it easier to put files there by default and will make it more friendly to work with programs such as WMP, etc. Right-click the folder, and go for the "Move" option.

tgznyc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Thanks for all the tips guys. M going to just go ahead and reformat my 640 I only started using it this week so I can get whatever I delete pretty easily. After I install my raptor and OS on it, will I need to use any kind of program like fdisk to get windows to read my 640 or will it automatically read it?

Also I was wondering if you guys think the 150gig velociraptor is a good idea? I see most people buying the 300 on newegg but I don't think I will need that much space especially with the 640. Are the drives both just as fast? The 150 doesn't have many ratings is why I ask.

tgznyc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Do I need to use fdisk or any other program to add a 2nd hd or can I just install it and windows will auto read it. Should I use swap space when having 2 hd's? Or can I leave em as is?

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Plug it in, go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.

The new disk should show up there and you can then format it and set the drive letter as required. I think if it's a brand new disk you have to 'initialise' it first, but I haven't done that for quite a while... either way, all the tools are in that control panel section.