Car/passenger ferry terminals and traffic congestion, Simc..

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Ahoy all,

I've now successfully got Simcity 4 Rush Hour up and running on my new
computer with no issues (see other thread).

I've got a different issue now, this one is to do with gameplay, and someone
else may have a solution or come across something to fix this.

Currently I'm having an issue with traffic congestion around car ferry
terminals. Of course, you need a road to both entrances to the terminal. The
problem I have is they get majorly congested (showing up as red in the
traffic data view) and there's no easy way to fix it, as far as I can tell.
Adding in a parking garage next to the ferry terminal doesn't improve it
either. And you can't build an avenue directly to a ferry terminal either.

Last night I experimented with one way streets connecting to the ferry
terminal, but I found they wouldn't connect, indeed, I couldn't even get
them to join from the road...do they only connect from avenues or something?

Anyways, if anyone has a solution for how to fix traffic issues around a car
ferry terminal I would be eager to hear them, as that is the only part of my
city with any traffic issues currently :)

Thanks all,

Jason :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Jason,

You can connect both avenues & highways to a ferry terminal. First put
a road across the entrance to the terminal, extending one square right &
left of the terminal roads. Then connect the terminal roads to the
cross road. Now you can connect an avenue or highway to the cross road.
Might take a bit of fussing, but it does work. Also put bus and
subway stops at the ferry terminal to cut traffic.

Fred

Jason wrote:
> Currently I'm having an issue with traffic congestion around car ferry
> terminals.

Build more terminals and build bridges.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

The one way streets can be a bit of a pain because they don't make their end
connections easily. What I usually do is either:

1. lay the one way street first and connect the other road connections
afterwards

or

2. lay the one way street starting a square beyond the road I want it to
connect to. One way streets don't seem to want to make a connection if you
start laying them with the first square actually on another road -
especially near where a road ends. You delete the extra square of road once
the one way street is down. Does that make sense?

Best wishes
Maxon

"Jason" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> Ahoy all,
>
> I've now successfully got Simcity 4 Rush Hour up and running on my new
> computer with no issues (see other thread).
>
> I've got a different issue now, this one is to do with gameplay, and
someone
> else may have a solution or come across something to fix this.
>
> Currently I'm having an issue with traffic congestion around car ferry
> terminals. Of course, you need a road to both entrances to the terminal.
The
> problem I have is they get majorly congested (showing up as red in the
> traffic data view) and there's no easy way to fix it, as far as I can
tell.
> Adding in a parking garage next to the ferry terminal doesn't improve it
> either. And you can't build an avenue directly to a ferry terminal either.
>
> Last night I experimented with one way streets connecting to the ferry
> terminal, but I found they wouldn't connect, indeed, I couldn't even get
> them to join from the road...do they only connect from avenues or
something?

> Anyways, if anyone has a solution for how to fix traffic issues around a
car
> ferry terminal I would be eager to hear them, as that is the only part of
my
> city with any traffic issues currently :)
>
> Thanks all,
>

> Jason :)

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

That's fine, and that's what I've done in the past, but the congestion
happens on the road leading to the ferry terminal. That's what I'm trying to
get around, hence why I tried a one-way street (which didn't work) :(

And I use bus stops/train stations as well, they all connect together :)

"Fred Bennett" <bennett.aw@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Jason,
>
> You can connect both avenues & highways to a ferry terminal. First put
> a road across the entrance to the terminal, extending one square right &
> left of the terminal roads. Then connect the terminal roads to the
> cross road. Now you can connect an avenue or highway to the cross road.
> Might take a bit of fussing, but it does work. Also put bus and
> subway stops at the ferry terminal to cut traffic.
>
> Fred
>
> Jason wrote:
> > Ahoy all,
> >
> > I've now successfully got Simcity 4 Rush Hour up and running on my new
> > computer with no issues (see other thread).
> >
> > I've got a different issue now, this one is to do with gameplay, and
someone
> > else may have a solution or come across something to fix this.
> >
> > Currently I'm having an issue with traffic congestion around car ferry
> > terminals. Of course, you need a road to both entrances to the terminal.
The
> > problem I have is they get majorly congested (showing up as red in the
> > traffic data view) and there's no easy way to fix it, as far as I can
tell.
> > Adding in a parking garage next to the ferry terminal doesn't improve it
> > either. And you can't build an avenue directly to a ferry terminal
either.

> > Last night I experimented with one way streets connecting to the ferry
> > terminal, but I found they wouldn't connect, indeed, I couldn't even get
> > them to join from the road...do they only connect from avenues or
something?

> > Anyways, if anyone has a solution for how to fix traffic issues around a
car
> > ferry terminal I would be eager to hear them, as that is the only part
of my
> > city with any traffic issues currently :)
> >
> > Thanks all,
> >

> > Jason :)

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Yes it does, cheers Maxon. Unfortunately, it won't help me with connections
to the ferry terminal, they just don't connect directly to it :( In an ideal
world, I would have one one-way road going into the terminal and one coming
out...

> The one way streets can be a bit of a pain because they don't make their
end
> connections easily. What I usually do is either:
>
> 1. lay the one way street first and connect the other road connections
> afterwards
>
> or
>
> 2. lay the one way street starting a square beyond the road I want it to
> connect to. One way streets don't seem to want to make a connection if
you
> start laying them with the first square actually on another road -
> especially near where a road ends. You delete the extra square of road
once
> the one way street is down. Does that make sense?
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
> "Jason" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > Ahoy all,
> >
> > I've now successfully got Simcity 4 Rush Hour up and running on my new
> > computer with no issues (see other thread).
> >
> > I've got a different issue now, this one is to do with gameplay, and
> someone
> > else may have a solution or come across something to fix this.
> >
> > Currently I'm having an issue with traffic congestion around car ferry
> > terminals. Of course, you need a road to both entrances to the terminal.
> The
> > problem I have is they get majorly congested (showing up as red in the
> > traffic data view) and there's no easy way to fix it, as far as I can
> tell.
> > Adding in a parking garage next to the ferry terminal doesn't improve it
> > either. And you can't build an avenue directly to a ferry terminal
either.

> > Last night I experimented with one way streets connecting to the ferry
> > terminal, but I found they wouldn't connect, indeed, I couldn't even get
> > them to join from the road...do they only connect from avenues or
> something?
> >
> > Anyways, if anyone has a solution for how to fix traffic issues around a
> car
> > ferry terminal I would be eager to hear them, as that is the only part
of
> my
> > city with any traffic issues currently :)
> >
> > Thanks all,
> >

> > Jason :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

No you're right - sorry I hadn't twigged that's what you were trying to do.
You'll need a bit of ordinary road to make that connection.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Jason" <theedge@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Yes it does, cheers Maxon. Unfortunately, it won't help me with
connections
> to the ferry terminal, they just don't connect directly to it :( In an
ideal
> world, I would have one one-way road going into the terminal and one
coming
> out...

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

I fixed the problem by eliminating most of the car ferry terminals and
replacing them with passenger only. Traffic problems gone! It's a pity you
can't build an avenue to the ferry terminal...it would make things a lot
easier :(

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Jason

> No you're right - sorry I hadn't twigged that's what you were trying to
do.
> You'll need a bit of ordinary road to make that connection.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
> "Jason" <theedge@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Yes it does, cheers Maxon. Unfortunately, it won't help me with
> connections
> > to the ferry terminal, they just don't connect directly to it :( In an
> ideal
> > world, I would have one one-way road going into the terminal and one
> coming
> > out...

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Do you need to connect the roads to the terminal? It works fine for me if
there is a road passing the terminal just fine. I actually didn't know that
they need to connect till now. Do you mean to say that i can build a road
that goes directly into the terminal without road endings? If so then i need
to have a look at my connections.

mike
> I fixed the problem by eliminating most of the car ferry terminals and
> replacing them with passenger only. Traffic problems gone! It's a pity you
> can't build an avenue to the ferry terminal...it would make things a lot
> easier :(
>
> Thanks for all your help guys :)
>
> Jason

> > No you're right - sorry I hadn't twigged that's what you were trying to
> do.
> > You'll need a bit of ordinary road to make that connection.
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Maxon
> >
> > "Jason" <theedge@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes it does, cheers Maxon. Unfortunately, it won't help me with
> > connections
> > > to the ferry terminal, they just don't connect directly to it :( In an
> > ideal
> > > world, I would have one one-way road going into the terminal and one
> > coming
> > > out...

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

For passenger only ferries, the road simply needs to lead up to the
terminal. For car/passenger ferries, you need a road in AND out. This is
where I struck the traffic congestion.